Anet, Please take the time to fix how scuffed mount keybinds are when you introduce all these new skyscale abilities.

Anyone who uses non-standard/unique keybindings for their weapon skills knows how absolutely scuffed hotkeys are for mounts with more than the 2-3 abilities. You can end up with mount skills that just dont function at all with their hotkeys.

Clean them up. Give them a full 5 keybindings so they cant conflict with weapon skill hotkeys, Maybe even go as far as giving unique keybindings for each mount. Its not like you guys are pumping out a new mount every expansion. The best mounts in the MMO industry might as well have better than subpar keybinding customization.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, Endilbiach.4132 said:

I'm just sitting here with my normal 1-5 weapon skills, chaos based utility skills, and custom rebound mount skills wondering wtf is going on here.

It is a privilege to misunderstand the importance of basic accessibility features

Edited by LCL.6259
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, LCL.6259 said:

It is a privilege to misunderstand the importance of basic accessibility features

That is an absolutely valid point, and in my opinion general accessibility features are where Anet fails the hardest.  We don't even have a colorblind mode for the UI after all.

Edited by Endilbiach.4132
Things keep getting "kitten"ed
  • Like 3
  • Confused 2

On 6/29/2023 at 10:38 AM, Endilbiach.4132 said:

I'm just sitting here with my normal 1-5 weapon skills, chaos based utility skills, and custom rebound mount skills wondering wtf is going on here.

If you are genuinely wondering, Mounts have 2 skill keybindings. Mounts with more than 2 skills default to weapon skill keybindings. If you use overly customized keybindings for class/weapon abilities, it causes conflicts that can result in mount skills that dont work without having to manually click them.

For example. I use [Num 1], [Num 2], [Num 3], Ctrl+[Num 2], Ctrl+[Num 3] for my weapon skills. These are all bound to my mouse. This lets me put every single other combat related hotkey within one key of my movement keys.

For a reason I honestly cant tell you, this makes the keybinding for the third ability on any mount/vehicle non-functioning. I have to manually click them with my cursor to use them. So I have to choose between having keybindings I want or fully functioning mount/vehicle bindings.

Up until now, this only effected me on warclaw, the jadebot, and the char tank in Forging Steel, so I sucked it up. However, now that skyscale is getting more abilities and is going to seemingly have a bigger role in combat, its going to be more annoying than ever that the mount binding functionality and customization is so jank. So I am really hoping they do another pass on it to improve it.

Edited by SatyricL.2784
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

18 hours ago, Endilbiach.4132 said:

That is an absolutely valid point, and in my opinion general accessibility features are where Anet fails the hardest.  We don't even have a colorblind mode for the UI after all.

Sorry if I misinterpreted you by the way. This is a recurring topic which has been bothering me lately, in more significant contexts than just a videogame.  Lately this has made me quick to react. Indifference is such a common response, that it has led me to assumption, probably foolishly. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 7/1/2023 at 12:01 AM, SatyricL.2784 said:

If you are genuinely wondering, Mounts have 2 skill keybindings. Mounts with more than 2 skills default to weapon skill keybindings. If you use overly customized keybindings for class/weapon abilities, it causes conflicts that can result in mount skills that dont work without having to manually click them.

For example. I use [Num 1], [Num 2], [Num 3], Ctrl+[Num 2], Ctrl+[Num 3] for my weapon skills. These are all bound to my mouse. This lets me put every single other combat related hotkey within one key of my movement keys.

For a reason I honestly cant tell you, this makes the keybinding for the third ability on any mount/vehicle non-functioning. I have to manually click them with my cursor to use them. So I have to choose between having keybindings I want or fully functioning mount/vehicle bindings.

Up until now, this only effected me on warclaw, the jadebot, and the char tank in Forging Steel, so I sucked it up. However, now that skyscale is getting more abilities and is going to seemingly have a bigger role in combat, its going to be more annoying than ever that the mount binding functionality and customization is so jank. So I am really hoping they do another pass on it to improve it.

Is this related to why I can't use Depth Charges on Skiff with my 4 key, and have to manually click that skill?

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

On 7/1/2023 at 5:06 AM, LCL.6259 said:

Sorry if I misinterpreted you by the way. This is a recurring topic which has been bothering me lately, in more significant contexts than just a videogame.  Lately this has made me quick to react. Indifference is such a common response, that it has led me to assumption, probably foolishly. 

Yeah it's alright, I truly meant no disrespect but I also didn't process it as an accessibility issue at first.  I was processing it as a QoL complaint, so I was a little flippant about it. 

I also really was curious about exactly what problems people were having with it, as I have rebound all of my Utility and Elite skill keys (not Heal), and rebound the mount skills on the weapon bar side, aside from the first ability.  On mounts, I have zero issues with skills not working properly, but I do wonder if my rebindings are the reason that I cannot use Depth Charges on Skiff using the 4 key (which is what it displays), and have to manually click it.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

22 hours ago, Endilbiach.4132 said:

Is this related to why I can't use Depth Charges on Skiff with my 4 key, and have to manually click that skill?

None of my skiff skill hotkeys function (or ever have) and I never knew why. Giving each mount/mastery/siege weapon it's own keybinds sounds like a great idea as what makes sense for weapon skills is utterly illogical for anything else - certainly for mine!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

23 hours ago, Endilbiach.4132 said:

Yeah it's alright, I truly meant no disrespect but I also didn't process it as an accessibility issue at first.  I was processing it as a QoL complaint, so I was a little flippant about it. 

I also really was curious about exactly what problems people were having with it, as I have rebound all of my Utility and Elite skill keys (not Heal), and rebound the mount skills on the weapon bar side, aside from the first ability.  On mounts, I have zero issues with skills not working properly, but I do wonder if my rebindings are the reason that I cannot use Depth Charges on Skiff using the 4 key (which is what it displays), and have to manually click it.

Based on your posts here you probably set your Mount Ability 2 keybind to the same as your Weapon Skill 4. This is a bad idea. It is also the cause of most people's problems along with setting Mount Ability 1 to the same key as Weapon Skill 5

The root of the problem is the confusing UI.

Edited by Khisanth.2948
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, Khisanth.2948 said:

Based on your posts here you probably set your Mount Ability 2 keybind to the same as your Weapon Skill 4. This is a bad idea. It is also the cause of most people's problems along with setting Mount Ability 1 to the same key as Weapon Skill 5

The root of the problem is the confusing UI.

Well you're correct about what I did.

@darkbringerr.3697 help us!  You're our only hope!

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Khisanth.2948 said:

The only possible solution is to stop doing that. There are multiple ways to achieve that but it all boils down to the same thing because you can't and wouldn't want to have 1 key triggering multiple things.

This is, ultimately, a UI issue, and the idea of 1 key triggering multiple things assumes the possibility of being both mounted and driving a skiff at the same time.  A simple(ish) solution would be letting us rebind the keys on our skiff like we can on our mounts.  Spaghetti code being what it is, I imagine that undoing the fundamental issue of "two things bound to the same keystroke" is prohibitively difficult, but being able to reassign keys on any given hotbar independently would be great.  Having a different one for each different mount would even be awesome...if difficult.

Skiffs clearly don't use the same skillbar as mounts, or combat, so being able to adjust them through options seems like the most reasonable and realistic solution.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Endilbiach.4132 said:

the idea of 1 key triggering multiple things assumes the possibility of being both mounted and driving a skiff at the same time. 

There is nothing to assume. A skiff is a mount. If it wasn't this problem wouldn't exist. You are making the common mistake of assuming skills 4 and 5 has anything to do with mount abilities because of their position on the UI.

9 minutes ago, Endilbiach.4132 said:

A simple(ish) solution would be letting us rebind the keys on our skiff like we can on our mounts. 

That is already how it is. You can set a key bind for weapon skills 1-5 and Mount Ability 1 and 2. What it does NOT do is prevent you from setting conflicting keys.

13 minutes ago, Endilbiach.4132 said:

Skiffs clearly don't use the same skillbar as mounts, or combat, so being able to adjust them through options seems like the most reasonable and realistic solution.

and this is where you are completely wrong which is probably the cause of your confusion

Skiff is entirely the same a in combat skills. A skiff is a mount with no abilities same as a chair.

Weapon skill 1 activates Skiff skill 1(Slow Cruise) - this is used for other mounts' Engage ability

Weapon skill 2 activates Skiff skill 2(Moderate Clip)

Weapon skill 3 actiavates Skiff skill 3(Full Throttle)

Weapon skill 4 activates Skill skill 4((Depth Charges)

Weapon skill 5 activates Skiff skill 5(Turbo Boost)

Heal skill activates Angler Sense

Elite skill activates Toggle Anchor

This is the same for all other mounts.

The mount keybinds take priority when mounted so if you set conflicting keybinds the mount abilities will take effect. This is still true even for mounts with no abilities like the skiff and the tank in Forging Steel. Also for chairs but chairs have neither skills not abilities.

The main point is that your Mount Ability keybinds should NOT overlap with any of your weapon, heal. utility, elite, or profession ability keybinds. Also while ANet has confusingly placed the Mount Ability icons in the same location as weapon skill 4 and 5 they have nothing to do with each other.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Khisanth.2948 said:

and this is where you are completely wrong which is probably the cause of your confusion

Skiff is entirely the same a in combat skills. A skiff is a mount with no abilities same as a chair.

Wait, no, if this was true then my #4 ability on my weapon skills would have the same problems as I do with Depth Charges.  Or I would be having the same problem on my mounts as I do on my skiff.  They're clearly 3 different things on some level.  Also my #5 on mounts is rebound to a different key, so why is my skiff #5 working fine?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Endilbiach.4132 said:

Also my #5 on mounts is rebound to a different key, so why is my skiff #5 working fine?

There is no such thing as #5 on a mount so you still don't understand what is happening. Mounts have between 0 and 2 abilities.

It is a bit difficult to explain without pictures but that would require too much effort to make.

40 minutes ago, Khisanth.2948 said:

There is no such thing as #5 on a mount so you still don't understand what is happening. Mounts have between 0 and 2 abilities.

It is a bit difficult to explain without pictures but that would require too much effort to make.

the ability that goes in the same slot as the 5th weapon skill, directly to the left of the health orb.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Endilbiach.4132 said:

the ability that goes in the same slot as the 5th weapon skill, directly to the left of the health orb.

That is just your regular weapon skill 5. This is what I meant about confusing UI. On mounts that do have abilities ANet stuck the Mount Ability 1 there but keybinds and UI have unrelated. The Weapon skill 5 keybind still exist despite the icon being covered up by the Mount Ability 1 icon. Same goes for Weapon skill 4 and Mount Ability 2. Completely different things that get stuck on the same spot in the UI.

Easiest way to understand is probably to play around with the keybinds in game.

For example, assuming you have the default 1-5 for weapon skills, 6 for heal, 7,8,9 for utilities and 0 for elite. Unbind Mount Ability 2.

Then get on a skiff.

Set Mount Ability 1 to the 1 key. Now Slow Cruise can no longer be activated by pressing 1 but 2,3,4,5 skills on the Skiff will works.

Set Mount Ability 1 to the 2 key. Now Moderate Clip can no longer be activated by pressing 2 but 1,3,4,5 skills on the Skiff works.

You can repeat that until you get to setting Mount Ability 1 to the 5 key and Turbo Boost no longer working when pressing 5.

If you continue and set Mount Ability 1 to 6 then all your skiff skills on the left side works but Angler Sense is no longer activated by pressing 6

4 hours ago, Khisanth.2948 said:

Also for chairs but chairs have neither skills not abilities.

I just remembered this is actually wrong. Some chairs do have a skill. On larger chairs there is a "Switch Seat" skill.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Khisanth.2948 said:

That is just your regular weapon skill 5. This is what I meant about confusing UI. On mounts that do have abilities ANet stuck the Mount Ability 1 there but keybinds and UI have unrelated. The Weapon skill 5 keybind still exist despite the icon being covered up by the Mount Ability 1 icon. Same goes for Weapon skill 4 and Mount Ability 2. Completely different things that get stuck on the same spot in the UI.

Easiest way to understand is probably to play around with the keybinds in game.

For example, assuming you have the default 1-5 for weapon skills, 6 for heal, 7,8,9 for utilities and 0 for elite. Unbind Mount Ability 2.

Then get on a skiff.

Set Mount Ability 1 to the 1 key. Now Slow Cruise can no longer be activated by pressing 1 but 2,3,4,5 skills on the Skiff will works.

Set Mount Ability 1 to the 2 key. Now Moderate Clip can no longer be activated by pressing 2 but 1,3,4,5 skills on the Skiff works.

You can repeat that until you get to setting Mount Ability 1 to the 5 key and Turbo Boost no longer working when pressing 5.

If you continue and set Mount Ability 1 to 6 then all your skiff skills on the left side works but Angler Sense is no longer activated by pressing 6

I just remembered this is actually wrong. Some chairs do have a skill. On larger chairs there is a "Switch Seat" skill.

sweet christmas, now I get it, and it's insane.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, Khisanth.2948 said:

The only possible solution is to stop doing that. There are multiple ways to achieve that but it all boils down to the same thing because you can't and wouldn't want to have 1 key triggering multiple things.

There is at least one exception to this:  you can safely bind your Mount Special Action 1 (eg raptor leap, jackal bamf) to your dodge key.  Combined with toggling off the special input thingie under mounts so your space bar no longer fires off your Action 1, you can save on keyboard real estate plus have the mobility skill on something you already have muscle memory for plus give your mount the ability to jump in place.  Since you can't dodge while mounted, there is no conflict.  I keep very vanilla keybinds for most everything and have had action 1 on my dodge key for years without ill effect.

• Like 1