Secrets of the Obscure and Wizard's Folly Tower?

Logos.5603

3 hours ago, Fueki.4753 said:

It's a different tower. The tower featuring in the "mini" expansion is the tower floating at Kessex Peak in GW1.

https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Wizard's_Tower

Wizard's Folly Tower is in pre-searing Ascalon.

I know it is a different tower. The tower that replaces the Wizard's Tower when it disappears in the trailer at 00:26 (there is a structure in the background) looks like the Wizard's Folly Tower.

On 6/28/2023 at 11:14 PM, Logos.5603 said:

In the recent trailer there is a structure that replaces the Wizard's Tower and it looks like the Wizard's Folly Tower from GW1. What do y'all think?

10 hours ago, Logos.5603 said:

I know it is a different tower. The tower that replaces the Wizard's Tower when it disappears in the trailer at 00:26 (there is a structure in the background) looks like the Wizard's Folly Tower.

Honestly the only "details" you can see are two "lines". Which Wizard's Folly Tower doesn't quite make - it's too generic.

And Wizard's Tower is already gone in-game with no replacement structure.

I think it's just visual trickery caused by the change in skybox, foreground smoke, and words, and there's nothing actually there.

And even if it isn't and there is actually something there - I see no reason why the Wizard's Folly Tower would suddenly pop in its place. Plus those pillars are WAY bigger than Wizard's Folly Tower.

Edited by Konig Des Todes.2086

14 hours ago, Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

Honestly the only "details" you can see are two "lines". Which Wizard's Folly Tower doesn't quite make - it's too generic.

And Wizard's Tower is already gone in-game with no replacement structure.

I think it's just visual trickery caused by the change in skybox, foreground smoke, and words, and there's nothing actually there.

And even if it isn't and there is actually something there - I see no reason why the Wizard's Folly Tower would suddenly pop in its place. Plus those pillars are WAY bigger than Wizard's Folly Tower.

Sure. But there is a structure back there. They look like two spires almost. What it is just speculation. However, it does seem like Garenhoff has been lifted from the ground...or that the ground beneath it has given way (was the whole town teleported?). You can best see this in the trailer around mark 0:32 by looking at where the water is supposed to be.

More speculation. If that is the Wizard's Folly Tower and Garenhoff was teleported near it, Garenhoff location in the trailer is somewhere south of the Plains of Ashford in Ascalon.

Edited by Logos.5603
  • Like 2

On 6/30/2023 at 3:21 PM, Logos.5603 said:

Sure. But there is a structure back there. They look like two spires almost. What it is just speculation. However, it does seem like Garenhoff has been lifted from the ground...or that the ground beneath it has given way (was the whole town teleported?). You can best see this in the trailer around mark 0:32 by looking at where the water is supposed to be.

More speculation. If that is the Wizard's Folly Tower and Garenhoff was teleported near it, Garenhoff location in the trailer is somewhere south of the Plains of Ashford in Ascalon.

Having discussed the shot with others elsewhere, it seems that the "Garrenhoff on fire" is not actually Garrenhoff at all. https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/309191637144436739/1125453618758299828/image.png

If you look closely, the textures of the buildings change, one of the cliffs vanishes - and so does all the water.

It's likely just a part of the Skywatch Archipelagos/Xotecha Amnytas, which is stated to be mixing different alternate-universes (though probably just fractals in reality, like what happened to Jahai), and in the website's images we see this one that has a very low-res Krytan village in the distance which matches Garrenhoff's shape. Similarly you have this image which in the forefront is Elonian with a Forged fortress, but at the top of the mountain you can see the base of a statue of Abaddon, and to the right in the distance you see New Kaineng City, and to the left looks like the new Wizard Court architecture.

We don't even know if Wizard's Folly Tower survived the Searing - tbh it's a bit unlikely given its shape and place. But we know for sure that Garrenhoff wasn't teleported to Ascalon, since we know the two maps are in the sky.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

Having discussed the shot with others elsewhere, it seems that the "Garrenhoff on fire" is not actually Garrenhoff at all. https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/309191637144436739/1125453618758299828/image.png

If you look closely, the textures of the buildings change, one of the cliffs vanishes - and so does all the water.

Rather unlikely, but maybe Garrenhoff gets a visual update like the Wizard's Tower itself? Major contrapoint is that the "before"-shot uses the current models, of course. Although I feel like in either case they should update the old models, then (while I do find them somewhat more charming, the texture work on them is just incredibly outdated. And it will feel weird to see a different version in a higher graphical fidelity - even if they're Mist copies).

Overall, I agree with you however, especially looking at the geography where the water would usually be. It looks like a sky island of sorts.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/28/2023 at 6:06 AM, Anvar.5673 said:

From the Felicia Day video who retake his role of Zojja, the Wizard's Folly tower is maybe a thing in this expansion.

Since everything seems possible, I am keeping some hopes with Evennia.

On 7/28/2023 at 7:15 AM, SunRoamer.5103 said:

For people who want to take a closer look: an older article from MassivelyOP included a few extra screenshots not found on the release page, one of which shows the base of this structure.

I can kinda see it but if that's the Wizard's Folly Tower they cut off the entire base of it by the looks of it. And removed the iconic chains.

Evennia's story got closed in Season 3 though.

• 4 weeks later...
10 hours ago, ugrakarma.9416 said:

i still don't understand, the kessels is another tower, but is gone?

Kessex hills tower is the big city version we go to in the story. they call the Wizard tower at the base in Skywatch "Wizard's folly" in the achievement to go from it to the Wizard's tower.

IIRC, one of the Wizards explicitly noted that it wasn't their chosen name for it, but was the name the locals had given it before. I don't recall if they mention when it was moved. https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Achievement_Eligibility:_There_and...

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Kalavier.1097 said:

IIRC, one of the Wizards explicitly noted that it wasn't their chosen name for it, but was the name the locals had given it before. I don't recall if they mention when it was moved. https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Achievement_Eligibility:_There_and...

Yes, Wizard's court called it Beacon of the Ages instead. The movement of the tower was not specifically told about, but Mabon, states that Tyrians called this specific tower "Wizard's Folly" and that was specific tower in specific place, so there is an implication there that it moved at some point.

7 hours ago, Lord Trejgon.2809 said:

Yes, Wizard's court called it Beacon of the Ages instead. The movement of the tower was not specifically told about, but Mabon, states that Tyrians called this specific tower "Wizard's Folly" and that was specific tower in specific place, so there is an implication there that it moved at some point.

There is this old quote, from the devs.

Q: Do the wizard towers in Kessex Hills and Ascalon have any relationship? What´s the story behind them and what happened to the Ascalonian one?

Jeff: I think the two towers are similar chiefly because of the chains. The idea of chaining down your tower makes sense for when you are dealing with particularly powerful powerful magics allows you to move the tower away from populated areas when you are experimenting with particularly powerful energies, and, of course, to move away once something has gone horribly, horribly wrong. The tower in Kessex Hills was in a nearby location in GW1 and was towed to the present location. The one from Ascalon in GW1 is missing and its fate is unrevealed.

From 2014, https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Dolyak-Express-Jan-10-2014/page/3#post3545340 Which does kinda imply the Wizard's folly tower may have been able to be moved. Considering how Wizard's folly wasn't that far from Charr settlements, I can imagine it got moved at some point for safety, maybe during the searing as we never go back there post searing or hear of it again.

edit: Found a book which explicitly states the Beacon of Ages (Wizard's folly) was moved during/immediately after the Searing in ascalon to the Horn of Maguuma.

Edited by Kalavier.1097
  • Like 1