Secrets of the Obscure or Guild Wars 3?

29 minutes ago, DeathPanel.8362 said:

There's no reason for GW3.  There's still plenty of the world map left to explore and tech hasn't advanced far enough to justify creating a whole new game. 

Im waiting for gw3 with sword art online helmets xD

• Haha 2
  • Confused 3

12 hours ago, Biziut.3594 said:

Wasnt't ANet saying like a thousand times, to calm ppls like you, to not worry about the ending of gw2, becouse they still have many plans for this game.

Yep, they've been saying that ever since the current expansion was revealed as being called "End of Dragons"

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

If they start somewhere else on the timeline (like 100 years) sure they can do GW3... if they are just going to do 5-10 years forward, there is literally no point. GW2 starts at 1325AE, GW1 was what, 1100AE? 1050AE? Could there be novels or something that bridges another hundred or so years to connect GW2 to GW3? There is always potential for something like that to happen...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Hsanrb.1570 said:

If they start somewhere else on the timeline (like 100 years) sure they can do GW3... if they are just going to do 5-10 years forward, there is literally no point. GW2 starts at 1325AE, GW1 was what, 1100AE? 1050AE? Could there be novels or something that bridges another hundred or so years to connect GW2 to GW3? There is always potential for something like that to happen...

Skip so far ahead that:

* Aurene is a huge elder dragon and the villain but also still your mom-girlfriend-daughter.

* Taimi is a golem and also the villain.

* Everyone has forgotten that the EoD specs ever existed.

Edited by Batalix.2873
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6
  • Confused 5

9 hours ago, DeathPanel.8362 said:

ANET's better off building on existing mechanics and optimizing the GW2 engine and upgrading graphics.

12 hours ago, Randulf.7614 said:

Id rather continue my progress in this game than start afresh. If it means less content and new features as trade off for continuation, then that is fine

Building on existing mechanics, continuation, is that what we get with SotO? In the announcements I see removal of existing functionality and adding grind to get that functionality back.

We get a new story, we can use every weapon now available to a profession and its specializations, we get a new weapon for each profession, we get another method to unlock the Skyscale, we can use the Skyscale in more situations, rune rework (removal existing functionality) and relics (grind to get that functionality back), some armor and weapon skins, a new streamlined reward system (again!) and two strike missions and a fractal.

Not a lot of new things, a lot of continuation (as Randulf said) with some destruction. I rather have a new game and start fresh. But maybe my run with this game is at the end after 11 years. Exploring my feelings about the new expansion and a potential new game and read what others think was the original idea behind this post. I think I achieved my goal, not so sure I am happy with what I discovered.

• Like 2
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, Redfeather.6401 said:

I would love a game like guild wars 1, but with jumping and swimming.

Speaking of that i'd love to see a remaster and overhaul of GW1 and new servers.. but i doubt they'd do it because it would kill GW2 lol

• Haha 1
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 2

No reason for Guild Wars 3. Guild Wars 2 is fine. Maybe core areas need a bit of graphical update but other than that the game still looks good.

Also "End of Dragons" doesn't equal "End of Guild Wars 2" , that was a mistake on your part. The devs clearly specified when End of Dragons was announced that "End of Dragons doesn't mean end of Guild Wars 2, there will be more expansions after this one" .

Edited by Crono.4197
small typo
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 2

I think they've at least started development of their next game already, and we now have a smaller team making content for 2 while we wait... which isn't a bad thing.  Anet should take all the time needed to make their next game, even if it's not Guild Wars (though I hope it is).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 6

17 hours ago, Crono.4197 said:

No reason for Guild Wars 3. Guild Wars 2 is fine. Maybe core areas need a bit of graphical update but other than that the game still looks good.

Also "End of Dragons" doesn't equal "End of Guild Wars 2" , that was a mistake on your part. The devs clearly specified when End of Dragons was announced that "End of Dragons doesn't mean end of Guild Wars 2, there will be more expansions after this one" .

Guild Wars 2 still looks good and "End of Dragons" doesn't NEED to mean the end of Guild Wars 2. But it is the end of a story. Combined with the hasty ending of the story of the two elder dragon brothers it sure looks to me ArenaNet have looked at the possibility of ending Guild Wars 2.

16 hours ago, Mazinger.1084 said:

I think they've at least started development of their next game already, and we now have a smaller team making content for 2 while we wait... which isn't a bad thing.  Anet should take all the time needed to make their next game, even if it's not Guild Wars (though I hope it is).

I am happy to see I am not the only one who (still) suspect that the next game is coming. I don't know if SotO is the content I want (to pay for), waiting on that new game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 7

57 minutes ago, Rose Solane.1027 said:

Guild Wars 2 still looks good and "End of Dragons" doesn't NEED to mean the end of Guild Wars 2. But it is the end of a story. Combined with the hasty ending of the story of the two elder dragon brothers it sure looks to me ArenaNet have looked at the possibility of ending Guild Wars 2.

I am happy to see I am not the only one who (still) suspect that the next game is coming. I don't know if SotO is the content I want (to pay for), waiting on that new game.

They are not brothers btw.

• Confused 3

16 hours ago, Rose Solane.1027 said:

I am doubtful. You would need to be very confident you could make a massive leap forward (AI generation maybe?) to even think of throwing away what they have and trying to make a new game. The way they have instead been upgrading the tech and third party libraries in GW2 suggests to me they reached the same conclusion, better to keep improving GW2

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mistwraithe.3106 said:

I am doubtful. You would need to be very confident you could make a massive leap forward (AI generation maybe?) to even think of throwing away what they have and trying to make a new game. The way they have instead been upgrading the tech and third party libraries in GW2 suggests to me they reached the same conclusion, better to keep improving GW2

Eh if they legitimately believed GW2 could be brought into modern standards, they wouldn't have been giving us things like Champions, EoD recycled especs, and now an expansion pack that is almost exclusively old features and assets packaged together with a few new maps and story chapters. Everything about the game since 2019 has screamed "minimize the budget", excepting the panicked push to fluff out EoD which still ended up feeling rushed and thin.

What this all communicates to me is not "we believe in GW2's longevity" but "we believe we can stretch this game out for a few more years". It says that yes, there is something else in the works (where else is all the resource development going? Certainly not GW2), and the only reason GW2 hasn't been put into full maintenance mode is because whatever that game is still isn't done and may be experiencing its own production problems and they need GW2 to sustain revenue in the meantime. After all, they are *still* hiring developers for that.

Edited by Batalix.2873
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 5

On 6/30/2023 at 2:18 PM, Dondarrion.2748 said:

A lot of nice things they can still do for GW2 with expansions, why do people want Guild Wars 3...!?!?

All those people screaming over changes invalidating their hard-earned progress; an entirely new game, is the worst kind of invalidation, I think "Remastered" editions or "Fresh Start" servers are probably the only thing worse... 😄

(said in jest, but the point is I've no use for GW3 at this time)

I agree. The main reason why ANet wanted to move on with a MMO-game from GW1 which was also very limited, not really a true MMO but more as CORPG, GW2 was created.

I feel like, what will GW3 bring that GW2 cannot? I rather would have a new game from ANet than a 3rd game of GW.

It's like almost saying '' I want WoW2 !! '', which will never gonna happened, lol.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

I don't think we're ever getting a "GW3" from current Anet tbh. Best chance for that is probably more like a spiritual successor from something like Mana Works or the Dreamhaven teams. Or that Riot MMO could have some GW2-y stuff in it.

Hopefully something will come tho because I still think GW2s big metas are peak MMO gameplay and that style of MMO design don't deserve to die with this game.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, pocky.7468 said:

I don't think we're ever getting a "GW3" from current Anet tbh. Best chance for that is probably more like a spiritual successor from something like Mana Works or the Dreamhaven teams. Or that Riot MMO could have some GW2-y stuff in it.

Hopefully something will come tho because I still think GW2s big metas are peak MMO gameplay and that style of MMO design don't deserve to die with this game.

Agreed. Peak GW2 maps/metas are perhaps its most distinct features.

Here's the thing. GW2 exists in a particular era of keyboard-played, old-school-gaming nostalgia. It never could last forever, but I still see the devs trying to bring into into the era of hyperreal, gamepad-played action combat.

I do think the property could transition with a third title. It would definitely not be GW2, it would likely be closer to a two-button action spectacle like God of War, Devil May Cry, FFXVI. And along with that I imagine PvP would be pushed much harder, and map exploration significantly downplayed.

The franchise clearly still has a decent amount of goodwill and plenty of recognizability. Question is whether the devs have managed to actually managed to assemble the talent to pull it off.

• Confused 4

17 minutes ago, Gerplunka.3861 said:

Guild Wars 3 is delusion, it's hard cope, it's not going to  happen.

Lol. Not really. It's no more deluded than thinking that GW2 is going to survive competing against more modern games indefinitely.

I'm not even in the camp of hoping for GW3. I just look at how far behind GW2 is from the rest of the industry, and see that there is absolutely no way ANet isn't feeling the pressure to make a new game and considering it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 9