New expansions going forward - No more back tracking

The next expansion (and others going forward) genuinely need to have the HoT and Pof Factor, as well as no more back tracking on design/goals.

Overview - I quit the game for 2 years, right as EoD was announced. On coming back, I have had zero drive to go to EoD maps. Like i havn't done a SINGLE EoD thing, because there is no driving factor for me to go there. HoT added masteries (movement), and the map design was insane. Like looked really really good, the metas were difficult/engaging, but also able to be failed, introduced elite specs etc. PoF introduced MOUNTS. Like after years and years. And again, the desert maps are so pretty and have their own feel in the world of MMOs. I'll never forget getting my raptor, and running around those sand dunes just outside of Amnoon with taimi talking in my ear, that was so cool. But for EoD, there was no driving factor at all. I get that masteries are a little difficult to add on top of (as in its hard to find new masteries for people to work towards on that have the same impact as mounts and gliding/movement masteries from HoT), but kitten, all ive done was buy EoD and play arenas with my brother/friend, and that was it. Ive also heard really bad things about the story and maps for EoD content, so that particularly prevents me from even trying it out, because I'm not missing much

The next expansion absolutely NEEDS something on PoF mount/HoT mastery levels. Some kind of new content for PvP, WvW, and PvE maybe (perm arena for pvp, finally doing something about wvw alliances, maybe add dueling hubs that rotate throughout the month all over the world that people can go to and duel for rewards etc. I'm not a full time PvEr so have no idea what would work for PvE, but something that isn't instanced, out in the open world that pulls players from other games to this one).

Also, please stop back tracking. Its so bad. The most notable one is elite specs. On release, they were the most broken "upgrade" to professions that in 99% of the cases needed to be taken. Then you backtrack and say "ok nevermind, we want core to be viable too", then you release bladesworn, which compared to core warrior, my friends couldn't get me below 90%hp, not even joking. Don't even get me started on how long Harbinger was broken, legitimately broken for. Same goes for HoT Berserker. You release it, then change arcing slice for them to be 3 swings, which felt amazing, kudos, then you REVERT IT to one swing, which i get is not a net power loss, but the FEEL for using it just gutted the class fantasy. Not to mention blind/aegis/dodge rolls etc. It sucks when you announce something, then change it, then undo the change.

But yeah I just wanna be able to log on to this game and have something to do, been begging for permanent arena queus with proper arena maps for years (selfish cos im a pvp  player ok sure), but you need to make more content on levels with HoT and PoF.

TLDR: New expansions going forward need to have HoT/PoF levels of "stuff"/content.

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 10
  • Sad 1

Just now, LaFurion.3167 said:

🥲 Which part, the HoT/PoF factor, or backtracking? Plz.... I need this game to be goooood

The part I quoted.

Much of what has been announced has centered around reorganizing elements that already exist rather than anything as new or major as what you mention we got in PoF or HoT.

13 minutes ago, Ashen.2907 said:

The part I quoted.

Much of what has been announced has centered around reorganizing elements that already exist rather than anything as new or major as what you mention we got in PoF or HoT.

Whoopsie. Oh yeah, well heres to hoping that they can do that on the PoF/HoT levels. To be fair, the restructuring of the professions, adding new weapons, and redoing all traitlines and combat is something I never thought they would do. I'm hoping they go over every single utility skill in the game and do what they did with guardian spirit weapons (the old ones that follow you around --> the new ones that are on use, or scorpion wire for thief, where they make it just better). Engi toolkit/flamethrower kit, as well as turrets, are the main offenders..

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

You just cant expect every expansion to pull something insane like mounts, you can only do mounts once and they have. At some point just more content for the game and other smaller new additions will have to suffice for you.
What other massive element can they really do? I guess player housing, although it's not something I'm personally interested in but I guess some people would love it.

I just want more content, maps/story/things to do.

• Thanks 5
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

31 minutes ago, Baseleader.4128 said:

You just cant expect every expansion to pull something insane like mounts, you can only do mounts once and they have. At some point just more content for the game and other smaller new additions will have to suffice for you.
What other massive element can they really do? I guess player housing, although it's not something I'm personally interested in but I guess some people would love it.

I just want more content, maps/story/things to do.

I never understood player housing, but maybe that, + actual end game content. PvP has been dead for years, Spvp aint it, maybe do a full shakeup of arenas etc. Maybe a smaller WvW map for roamer/small scale, where you dont have to run around hoping for fair matchups/fights? Actual meta events that arnt just mindless tagging fests

• Confused 5
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, Linken.6345 said:

OP  about hot metas being able to fail did you miss the massive uproar over the last meta map in EoD?

Yes... because like I said I didn't even step foot into EoD because there is no selling factor or drive for me to even go there lol.

• Confused 4

11 hours ago, LaFurion.3167 said:

TLDR: New expansions going forward need to have HoT/PoF levels of "stuff"/content.

Not-Won't-Never going to happen. Going forward it will only be in one direction. SOUTH.

The Ingenuity has long left the team. And it didnt even say good bye 😢

Edited by Min Min.9368
  • Like 2
  • Confused 3

On 6/30/2023 at 11:02 AM, Ashen.2907 said:

The part I quoted.

I do think that EoD missed this (barely, since a properly fleshed out jadetech system of things could have been close to what gliding/mounts did for the game).

I do think that SotO is completely missing this. And I agree with people that (a) every expansion needs one really exceptional, new mechanical feature that isn't just streamlining/rehashing for the game to continue doing well, and (b) the game really hasn't been doing that since IBS, and continues to go downhill because of it.

• Thanks 3
  • Confused 2

34 minutes ago, Batalix.2873 said:

I do think that EoD missed this (barely, since a properly fleshed out jadetech system of things could have been close to what gliding/mounts did for the game).

I do think that SotO is completely missing this. And I agree with people that (a) every expansion needs one really exceptional, new mechanical feature that isn't just streamlining/rehashing for the game to continue doing well, and (b) the game really hasn't been doing that since IBS, and continues to go downhill because of it.

Agreed. I completely understand that topping mounts or gliding might be difficult, but I think that something that stands out more than fishing or rehashing how existing weapons are used would be a good idea.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Ashen.2907 said:

Agreed. I completely understand that topping mounts or gliding might be difficult, but I think that something that stands out more than fishing or rehashing how existing weapons are used would be a good idea.

I appreciate what fishing brings to the game. It's light casual fun, builds out the world a little bit, gives players something to do while they wait for metas or whatever.

But it does not fundamentally build on and improve core gameplay like HoT/PoF did. And as a matter of development...seems like it didn't require much work or resources. It's an extremely simple system that gets most of its depth from just how many different fish someone went in and "developed" which amount mostly to a lot of icons and lootdrop/condition tables. I get the impression the skiff took more effort to implement than the fishing itself.

I see jadebot as kind of being the central glue that EoD tried and failed to coalesce a system around. All the EoD-exclusive map features use it: lifts, teleporters, protocol stations. And as a matter of QoL features it kind of interacts with everything, both for tying into EoD specs (skiffs and turtles) but also slightly enhancing each of the prior major features (core waypoints, HoT gliding, and PoF mounts). The potential is there, but what EoD really needed was another mastery or two that really drove home a QoL jade tech feature that was more than the jadebot. That even could have been the jadebot itself. Make jadebot a scuba buddy that totally revamps underwater combat with universal attack kits and slot skills. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Batalix.2873 said:

I appreciate what fishing brings to the game. It's light casual fun, builds out the world a little bit, gives players something to do while they wait for metas or whatever.

But it does not fundamentally build on and improve core gameplay like HoT/PoF did. And as a matter of development...seems like it didn't require much work or resources. It's an extremely simple system that gets most of its depth from just how many different fish someone went in and "developed" which amount mostly to a lot of icons and lootdrop/condition tables. I get the impression the skiff took more effort to implement than the fishing itself.

I see jadebot as kind of being the central glue that EoD tried and failed to coalesce a system around. All the EoD-exclusive map features use it: lifts, teleporters, protocol stations. And as a matter of QoL features it kind of interacts with everything, both for tying into EoD specs (skiffs and turtles) but also slightly enhancing each of the prior major features (core waypoints, HoT gliding, and PoF mounts). The potential is there, but what EoD really needed was another mastery or two that really drove home a QoL jade tech feature that was more than the jadebot. That even could have been the jadebot itself. Make jadebot a scuba buddy that totally revamps underwater combat with universal attack kits and slot skills. 

I think that the implementation of fishing, buffs, etc prevents it from being the laid back passtime so many had asked for.

Jade tech really should have been developed more. It could have been a much greater monetization tool as well as a more in depth system for players to engage with.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Disagree with OP. There's honestly not much that can be realistically added to GW2 at this point on the scale of mounts/gliding (other than player housing, which I do think they will add at some point) without completely overhauling the engine or making an entirely new game (pretty much the same as making a GW3). The current new features in SotO seem reasonable to me.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Poormany.4507 said:

Snip  The current new features in SotO seem reasonable to me.

What new feature is that, they are just canbalizing old ones and reimagining them.

Edit

Fixed it so the person I responded to understand what Im talking about.

Edited by Linken.6345
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3

6 minutes ago, Ashen.2907 said:

I think that the implementation of fishing, buffs, etc prevents it from being the laid back passtime so many had asked for.

Jade tech really should have been developed more. It could have been a much greater monetization tool as well as a more in depth system for players to engage with.

Yeah they really felt pressure to fluff out what few features EoD did have, and it shows across the entire expac. Really sad, wish they would just skip a year and go back and finish it all out.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

What new feature is that, they are just canbalizing old ones and reimagining them.

How is it not? There's currently no personalized housing system with collectible items and such that is accessible to players, only Guild Halls that have too large costs and do not allow personalization to individual/solo players.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Poormany.4507 said:

How is it not? There's currently no personalized housing system with collectible items and such that is accessible to players, only Guild Halls that have too large costs and do not allow personalization to individual/solo players.

I think he was asking what the new features in SotO you mentioned were. In terms of features everything looks like pre-existing elements moved around. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, Linken.6345 said:

Edit

Fixed it so the person I responded to understand what Im talking about.

The weapon additions to every class and masteries seem like they will be fundamental changes. At least some of the masteries sound like they will be for more widespread use and not just for SotO content, similar to jade bots:

"Together, the two Mastery lines will allow you explore the world more freely, take on greater threats, and earn richer rewards.

The skyscale, Astral Ward, and Heart of the Obscure Mastery lines will all be available at launch on August 22. We’re planning to introduce a fourth Mastery line in the first major release following launch."

Based on this, for a mini-expansion half the size of a regular one, I would consider this (new masteries and new weapon availability + a new hub) pretty much on par with the major new features we got with EoD (skiffs, fishing, jade bots, elite specs + a new hub)

Edited by Poormany.4507
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Well to reply to some people above, the only limits of what devs can do with this game considering their skill level is the limits they set themselves (product scope), business resources, and the limits of their imagination.

I could imagine so many things added to this game. If that was my job i could probably write several concepts a day or so. And i'm sure Anet's designers do that all day as well and probably better than me because it's not that hard to do and they are certainly good at it. In the end it's just a matter of choices. And choices are mostly based on business income and perceived customer demand.

But if Anet really decided to, they could make this game a Star Wars crossover, add housing, add pokeballs for mini raptors, add legendary cooking that requires the player to send a corresponding dish to their studio address, create 50 new bundle weapons to use in PVP, link gw2 fishing with real life fishing rods and add VR for it, introduce miniature fights in an arena, and whatever.

As far as money goes, the income they receive is also based on choices.

Choices, it's mostly choices.

Things are only set in stone when people want them to.

Edited by GEGEZZ.7563
  • Confused 2