Will Secrets of Obscure be available via amazon.com. Update: Its available now!

I've bought all the past expansions via Amazon.com but Secrets of the Obscure isn't for sale on the website currently. Will it be available  on amazon soon or will I have to order from another retailer?

Edit: Its available now in standard and deluxe packages.

Edited by Phasma Phasmatis.4305
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

22 minutes ago, Phasma Phasmatis.4305 said:

I've bought all the past expansions via Amazon.com but Secrets of the Obscure isn't for sale on the website currently. Will it be available  on amazon soon or will I have to order from another retailer?

Only Amazon.com can answer if they have any plans on making Secrets of the Obscure possible to buy in their shop. Contact their CS and ask!

• Like 1

On 7/10/2023 at 12:24 AM, Ashen.2907 said:

Have expansions been available for prepurchase on Amazon in the past or only at official launch?

The base game was available for pre-purchase on Amazon UK before it came out, and PoF and EoD were as well. I'm not sure about HoT because I didn't shop around as much, but I assume it was.

They're currently selling PoF, EoD (with one listing still mentioning pre-purchase), and the Complete Collection so it does seem odd that they're not selling SotO. They're listed on Anet's site as an official retailer too.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Danikat.8537 said:

The base game was available for pre-purchase on Amazon UK before it came out, and PoF and EoD were as well. I'm not sure about HoT because I didn't shop around as much, but I assume it was.

They're currently selling PoF, EoD (with one listing still mentioning pre-purchase), and the Complete Collection so it does seem odd that they're not selling SotO. They're listed on Anet's site as an official retailer too.

ArenaNet probably want all pre-orders to go through their site so they're not giving a huge chunk of every sale to Amazon. It might show up there after launch.

• Confused 2

2 hours ago, Pifil.5193 said:

ArenaNet probably want all pre-orders to go through their site so they're not giving a huge chunk of every sale to Amazon. It might show up there after launch.

You can buy SoTO on Steam. Arena Net wouldn't put it up for sale on Steam as pre-order, if they wanted to keep all pre-order on their own site (shop).

Amazon on the other hand might want to have too much compensation to sell SoTO or haven't made any agreement yet with Arena Net on how to handle pre-sale (to get keys to sell). One can not assume just because a company have had their game in Amazon store before that they want to keep selling it if they can't make an agreement on how much each sale will get Amazon.

There are also some difference in Amazon store depending on region, so it be that they need to coordinate internally in which Amazon store that will be selling GW2 as some countries might have less demand due to increased cost (inflation and exchange rate).

As for earlier Expansion sold on Amazon store, at that time there wasn't any Steam store either, so Amazon have today more competition then when EoD came out (Steam did release GW2 around 23th August last year: source).

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ShadowCatz.8437 said:

You can buy SoTO on Steam. Arena Net wouldn't put it up for sale on Steam as pre-order, if they wanted to keep all pre-order on their own site (shop).

People who have bought GW2 on Steam cannot buy SoTo on ArenaNets shop.

Edited by Pifil.5193
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

• Phasma Phasmatis.4305 changed the title to Will Secrets of Obscure be available via amazon.com. Update: Its available now!

Why would the topic be against TOS Amazon.com is an official retailer of Guild Wars 2 products? The topic was asking when the expansion would be available to purchase on an Official Retailer website like all past expansions are.

Edit: Post questioning if this topic was against TOS was deleted.

• Thanks 3

2 hours ago, ProfileName.9281 said:

I'm sure y'all have good reasons but Im entirely unaware why buying a digital good from Amazon instead of the official site would benefit you. Why buy from Amazon?

I imagine the same reason as why people might want to buy on Steam.

Payment options (including stored cash).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, ProfileName.9281 said:

I'm sure y'all have good reasons but Im entirely unaware why buying a digital good from Amazon instead of the official site would benefit you. Why buy from Amazon?

I can't speak for anybody else. Here's the thing: I had already bought two other games on Steam during their summer sale, and I had just enough in my gift card balance. Now if you're still concerned about ArenaNet being supported, I later bought two Name Change contracts.

• Sad 1

Just now, bruakumfd.4817 said:

I can't speak for anybody else. Here's the thing: I had already bought two other games on Steam during their summer sale, and I had just enough in my gift card balance. Now if you're still concerned about ArenaNet being supported, I later bought two Name Change contracts.

I'm not at all worried about the game being supported. Steam has benefits like not needing to remember another password, track playtime and works with Proton without any fiddling.

I'm specifically asking about Amazon but yes the left over giftcard thing makes sense 🙂

• 4 weeks later...

EU player here, waiting for an answer from CS right now, will post her eonce i get an answer. In the emantime i suggest you ALL write to Amazon Customer Support; if they are not making the release avaliable cause they think there's a lack of demand, lots of customer support requests about it may change their mind.

On 7/25/2023 at 7:22 PM, ProfileName.9281 said:

Simple enough, I had enough gift card money on amazon, that I got as a gift earlier in the year, that covered the full price of the expansion.

Another valid reason is some people don't have credit cards. Someone like a teenager without a credit card can take their saved up cash down to their local general store or gas station, pick up a 3 pack of $10 amazon cards or load $28 dollars onto the $25-500 custom amount cards and then buy the expansion from amazon.

A lot of people still deal in cash and being able to get a card at a local store for cash that you can use digitally is a godsend to those without credit cards and for parents that want to buy their kid the game but don't want their credit card or bank info on their child's account.

• Like 1