Do all endgame bosses have "mechanics"?

I am a new player and the other day me and my GF tried one of this things (Fractals) first we tried to duo it but one of the bosses had this "mechanics" that clearly was designed to be done by many players and thus was basically impossible to duo it even though the mobs werent difficult themselves.

Then we tried another one as a group of 5 people, we got in and then the 3 other people procceeded to ignore all the mobs and just run straight to the boss (HOW FUN!) and then that boss had another one of those stupid mechanics that we didn't really understood and nor did the other 3 people really tried to explain it and I just alt+f4 and went to play an actual fun game with my GF.

I don't find this kind of BS fun, this "mechanics" ruin games IMO, I don't mind dodging or avoiding oneshots but when I have to do a stupid puzzle in the middle of the fight and the boss is immune or some BS to kill the boss etc is just not fun to me.

Haven't played the game since then and I just want an straight answer:

Do all endgame bosses have a stupid "mechanic" puzzle of sorts? if yes this isn't a game for me.

Edited by Hermes.8159
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 16
  • Sad 1

Many fractals yes. Raids a few. Strikes zero, well actually just one but only 1 out of 10 players need to complete it. 

Many Fractal are years old. Some mobs can be skipped. Most players will skip if they can. They are really fun though. I would recomend you form a lfg party and describe you want to learn without skips. Dont give up on fractals because many are really fun and perhaps you got unlucky and went into solid ocean which you can skip entirely. 

Dungeons are even more extreme. Huge parts can be skipped including all story parts so definitely form a lfg with description that its a story run. 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

The fact that people are skipping content shows how bad designed it is. Personally I don't like "boss mechanics" that involve a puzzle in the middle of the fight, its just a way to artificially increase the length of the fight and artificial difficulty itself because you can do them perfectly but it won't matter if the people you are grouping with can't do them, it actually promotes toxicity.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 11
  • Sad 1

Which fractal were you trying to do? I just looked through the list of all the fractals and none of their bosses require 5 people. Making it through some fractals does require 3 or at least it is much harder with less than 3. Complaining about content designed for 5 people needing five people makes about as much sense as complaining about a horse race requiring a horse.

30 minutes ago, Hermes.8159 said:

Then we tried another one as a group of 5 people, we got in and then the 3 other people procceeded to ignore all the mobs and just run straight to the boss (HOW FUN!) and then that boss had another one of those stupid mechanics that we didn't really understood and nor did the other 3 people really tried to explain it and I just alt+f4 and went to play an actual fun game with my GF.

If you are new you should be asking about it in the beginning instead of just expecting people to launch into random explanations

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

I find well thought out mechanics absolutely essential to boss design. Straight dps races have their place, but are dull and boring. One shot hits aren’t really mechanics, they are usually just lazy design.

GW2 uses a lot of mechanics - some essential, some not and some fantastic and others less so. A lot of bosses in the story also require you to do things other than just fight it.

- The Shadow of the Dragon requires lighting torches and keeping them lit whilst fighting off things that extinguish them as you fight the boss between phases

- Many open bosses use mechanics where players have to take down multiple bosses within 30 seconds of each other. Octovine for example also has four bosses that can’t be attacked until each mechanic is completed and everything is coordinated with three other teams. Similarly Marionette and the Silverwastes boss Vinewrath

- Gyala Delve combines different mechanics like the turtle mount, sniping and dps in unison

- Some use little more than breakbar management

Fractals are 5 person content. Doing them is fine, but is going against the design and any obstacles as a result can’t be criticised. Just like strikes and raids are 10 man

• Like 1

Some will some won't. The point of end game such as fractals, raids, strikes, pvp, wvw etc is that they are meant to present some sort of challenge. A lot will be dps checks and others will require doing some mechanics in order to defeat the boss or negate elements that could do a lot of damage/one shot you. Also keep in mind that if you aim to do content made for 5 people with just 2 then its more likely that things will become more difficult mechanic wish as your trying to split jobs that can be spread between 5 people with 2. Its possible to solo such content but it will sometimes take more skill and knowledge than my may possibly have. If you want to learn mechanics at a more slow and comfortable pace might be best to look up guides and maybe ask in LFG for "training" runs. Might also consider joining a guild that offers training in said content.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Khisanth.2948 said:

Complaining about content designed for 5 people needing five people makes about as much sense as complaining about a horse race requiring a horse.

False equivalence, I don't like that type of content that makes my progression tied to what other people do or doesn't do, I don't like forced group content, I know you will use the non sequitur fallacy that I don't like MMOs then because "ALL MMOS HAVE THIS" which is false, MMO'S used to have a decent amount of solo content you could do, you could even get the best gear by doing solo activities, partying up was an OPTION not mandatory, what MMO's do this days is a consequece of all being clones of WORLD OF WARCRAFT.

48 minutes ago, Khisanth.2948 said:

If you are new you should be asking about it in the beginning instead of just expecting people to launch into random explanations

Well the reality is that you can stay silent we will keep wiping, but it wasn't only me and my gf that clearly didn't understood, there was probably only 1 guy that understood what needed to be done but it never really had the capacity to explain the mechanics and we were just wiping one after the other, I find that whole thing unfun and alt+f4 to play an actual fun game with my partner.

• Like 1
  • Confused 10
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Randulf.7614 said:

I find well thought out mechanics absolutely essential to boss design.

Completely disagree and this is one of thereasons MMO's are dying constantly forcing this crap mechanics that not only need to be done by one person but by 5, 10, 20 or 30 people, get the kitten outa here.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 1

What exactly are you looking for though? Some boss fights? In that case you can -for example- try going for bounties.

3 minutes ago, Hermes.8159 said:

I don't like that type of content that makes my progression tied to what other people do or doesn't do, I don't like forced group content, I know you will use the non sequitur fallacy that I don't like MMOs then because "ALL MMOS HAVE THIS" which is false, MMO'S used to have a decent amount of solo content you could do, you could even get the best gear by doing solo activities, partying up was an OPTION not mandatory

What progression? Ascended gear is already the one with top stats and there's plenty of ways to get it, including just crafting it. Instead you're going for group content and then... complain that it's made for groups?

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Instead you're going for group content and then... complain that it's made for groups? I don't get it.

Like i said you were going to use some non sequitur fallacy. Not all group content has to have this BS mechanics.

• Like 1
  • Confused 10
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Hermes.8159 said:

Like i said you were going to use some non sequitur fallacy. Not all group content has to have this BS mechanics.

Address the full post please, instead of striving to "find a falacy" (and what you quoted isn't even that anyways). If you're actually looking for the answer, first you'll need to say what exactly you're expecting. If you're here to just repeat "everything's bad" then you already made your mind about disliking the game, at which point why even bother with this thread.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Hermes.8159 said:

False equivalence, I don't like that type of content that makes my progression tied to what other people do or doesn't do, I don't like forced group content, I know you will use the non sequitur fallacy that I don't like MMOs then because "ALL MMOS HAVE THIS" which is false, MMO'S used to have a decent amount of solo content you could do, you could even get the best gear by doing solo activities, partying up was an OPTION not mandatory, what MMO's do this days is a consequece of all being clones of WORLD OF WARCRAFT.

Well sad to say mate that outside story and open world there ain't a lot of end game content that doesn't involve interacting with other players unless you are driving to put the effort into soloing/duoing stuff .

Completely disagree and this is one of thereasons MMO's are dying constantly forcing this crap mechanics that not only need to be done by one person but by 5, 10, 20 or 30 people, get the kitten outa here.

You say that but Gw2 has been doing well so far. Plus I believe WOW is still going is it not? Maybe MMO's aren't to your particular tastes. Other single player or duo player fantasy games might be better for you if you dislike this playstyle so much.

• Like 3

Its not my fault that your arguments are weak and have no logical structure.

Asking about your expectations isn't an argument, it's a question in an attempt to deliver you help you're apparently looking for. If you don't care about that help then I'm not sure what was the point of creating this thread.

7 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

What exactly are you looking for though? Some boss fights? In that case you can -for example- try going for bounties.

What progression? Ascended gear is already the one with top stats and there's plenty of ways to get it, including just crafting it.

👆👆

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Hermes.8159 said:

I disagree with that. Some of the most critically acclaimed solo games use mechanics and they are a highly successful and necessary part of design. Look at games like Shadow of the Colossios or for something more mainstream, look at the Zelda franchise whose very existence relies on boss mechanics and puzzles.

There is a place for straight dps and GW2 balances that better than most mmos, but the need for them in video games is crucial when done correctly

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dibit.6259 said:

Gw2 has been doing well so far. Plus I believe WOW is still going is it not? Maybe MMO's aren't to your particular tastes.

Typical non sequitor fallacy, just because I don't like this stupid WOW forced group content with BS mechanics: I don't like mmos!, more like I DON'T LIKE MMO'S THAT ARE WOW CLONES OR THAT COPY WOW MECHANICS AND PUT THEM AS A STANDARD.

GW2 is not doing fine, in fact it sounds like this game is in manteinance mode already until they release something new, but, hey cope in any way you want i suppose.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 12
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Randulf.7614 said:

I disagree with that. Some of the most critically acclaimed solo games use mechanics and they are a highly successful and necessary part of design. Look at games like Shadow of the Colossios or for something more mainstream, look at the Zelda franchise whose very existence relies on boss mechanics and puzzles.

There is a place for straight dps and GW2 balances that better than most mmos, but the need for them in video games is crucial when done correctly

False equivalence, you are comparing single player games to MMO's, is not remotely the same to make 1 person solve a puzzle in a fight than to make 30 people do the same puzzle, you could be doing it correctly but because some idiot in your team can't do it then you can't progress now and not only that but the single player game puzzle bosses at least are entertaining, in MMO'S is just a kittening joke, a travesty of what single player games do.

• Confused 9
  • Sad 1

Typical non sequitor fallacy, just because I don't like this stupid WOW forced group content with BS mechanics: I don't like mmos!, more like I DON'T LIKE MMO'S THAT ARE WOW CLONES OR THAT COPY WOW MECHANICS AND PUT THEM AS A STANDARD.

GW2 is not doing fine, in fact it sounds like this game is in manteinance mode already until they release something new, but, hey cope in any way you want i suppose.

It doesn't suit your tastes mate, MMO's usually contain an element of interacting with other players so they try to design content around that. Mechanics are there to make things engaging, if you find them difficult or dislike them then thats down to you, not the game. If it was such an issue then anet wouldn't design their game that way but guess what, most people either like it or don't mind it so they continue to make it that way. Trying to help you mate but you keep exploding at the anyone not agreeing with you or having different opinion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 6

This hostility will not help you in this game op. People play the way they want, and we are all different. That's why LFG in this game is good since you can find groups with the same interest as you. If you want to skip content because you want to finish it fast and have done it hundreds of times, you can do so with other players who want the same thing as you. Same if you want to learn the mechanics and not skip anything, you can add that to your LFG and find other players who also does not want to skip and are more than happy to teach you mechanics. The game has many veterans willing to help new players. But with this attitude, you will not get the help you need and want. Good luck finding a game you can enjoy though. Seems MMO is not your genre in games.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Hermes.8159 said:

You aren't trying to help, you are a rabid fanboy that doesn't like I don't like this mechanics and this forced group content.

False, I'm trying to help and asking questions about your expectations is an integral part of the process.

So again:

What progression? Ascended gear is already the one with top stats and there's plenty of ways to get it, including just crafting it.

• Like 7
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Hermes.8159 said:

You mean like they are doing aug 22?

And from what your written you and your partner should go do world bosses.

There you can dodge 1 shot attacks while a horde of npcs (read players) run around do the mechanics for you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1