Legendary relic: please consider making it available to players who do not purchase SotO.

I have a full set of legendary runes and I can appreciate that you're using them for a significant portion of progress towards the legendary relic. However, the legendary relic should be available to players who do not purchase SotO, so that what we currently worked to make isn't broken and then gated behind a pay wall. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, kurogane.9681 said:

Only relics you get from SotO is behind pay wall, probably the same can be said those relics from HoT and PoF (those existing 6th bonuses from runes). The same sense you don't get specific runes from HoT or PoF since you don't have the expansion.

So the legendary relic can be crafted without purchasing SotO? Perhaps I misunderstood what they wrote in their update if that's the case.

EDIT: I re-read the post and this is exactly what they say:

"Legendary relics will be introduced to Guild Wars 2: Secrets of the Obscure during one of the quarterly releases in 2024. These prestigious relics will offer the convenience of freely swapping between the various relic effects. Players who have already crafted legendary runes will be compensated with significant progress toward unlocking legendary relics. In fact, each of the seven legendary runes you create will unlock further progress toward these relics. We’ll be able to share more details when we are closer to the launch of legendary relics next year."

I read that as, it will be released to the expansion.

Edited by Strider.7849
  • Like 5
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

If you read some parts of the post, it says:

"Guild Wars 2: Secrets of the Obscure will release with forty core relics and twelve expansion relics. Core relics, which have effects inspired by many of the current rune sets, will be available to all players regardless of expansion ownership."

"If you have Guild Wars 2: Secrets of the Obscure, you’ll be able to acquire expansion relics."

My understanding is we get all core relics (from the current core runes) even if we don't have the SotO expansion because that change is universal. Those expansion relics are new relics added in SotO and you can see two examples of SotO expansion relics shown in the post. It might be the same case if one doesn't own HoT or PoF, they might not get HoT relics or PoF relics (from runes added in HoT and PoF). 

EDIT: I get it now. So you're talking about the legendary relic itself. That is certainly a concern if we can't craft the legendary relic if we don't own SotO. I guess the same thing can be speculated for the OW legendary armors which we need SotO as well. 

Edited by kurogane.9681
  • Like 3
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

53 minutes ago, Doggie.3184 said:

I'm sure they will make us all grind new xpan stuff for it even if we have all leggy runes. ;/ maybe even a new time-gated resource cuz they don't seem to wanna make it easy for people to retain their current progress.

I don't think Relics will require any materials locked behind an expansion, especially a "mini" expansion. It makes sense that you should theoretically be able to aquire full legendary gear as a F2P player. Maybe not all of various legendaries, but at least one version of each piece, especially something like relics which seem like they'll be a big part of a build just like 6th rune bonuses are now. 

Yes I know we have a few of them that do need more than a F2P account to have access to, namely Coalescence, Vision and Aurora, but I don't expect relics to be on that category. 

And I wouldn't say they want to make it difficult for people to retain their progress, I mean... I don't think it's gonna be that difficult to get most of those relics, it's probably not gonna be a massive grind, but we'll see. 

Edited by jason.1083
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, jason.1083 said:

I don't think Relics will require any materials locked behind an expansion, especially a "mini" expansion. It makes sense that you should theoretically be able to aquire full legendary gear as a F2P player. Maybe not all of various legendaries, but at least one version of each piece, especially something like relics which seem like they'll be a big part of a build just like 6th rune bonuses are now. 

Yes I know we have a few of them that do need more than a F2P account to have access to, namely Coalescence, Vision and Aurora, but I don't expect relics to be on that category. 

And I wouldn't say they want to make it difficult for people to retain their progress, I mean... I don't think it's gonna be that difficult to get most of those relics, it's probably not gonna be a massive grind, but we'll see. 

They already mentioned that the new Rift dailies will include stuff like legendary components. They probably meant the Armor, because when they wrote that Legendary Relics were still in the "uh, we forgot about them" spot, but it's extremely likely that after they did start thinking about them they will lock them behind the new expansion grind.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

On 7/21/2023 at 1:42 AM, Strider.7849 said:

So the legendary relic can be crafted without purchasing SotO? Perhaps I misunderstood what they wrote in their update if that's the case.

EDIT: I re-read the post and this is exactly what they say:

"Legendary relics will be introduced to Guild Wars 2: Secrets of the Obscure during one of the quarterly releases in 2024. These prestigious relics will offer the convenience of freely swapping between the various relic effects. Players who have already crafted legendary runes will be compensated with significant progress toward unlocking legendary relics. In fact, each of the seven legendary runes you create will unlock further progress toward these relics. We’ll be able to share more details when we are closer to the launch of legendary relics next year."

I read that as, it will be released to the expansion.

You will probably need account bound materials to craft the legendary relic and those account bound materials will probably only be available if you have the expansion.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 7/21/2023 at 9:22 AM, ZeftheWicked.3076 said:

Decency should come from the heart.

But sometimes helping it come out with the boot also works.

Edit: For the less bright audience - it means you should boycott the game if they take away feature you earned and put it behind a new paywall.

That's not true, relics and runes are different, but people seem to keep spreading misinformation and claiming they are the same.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 8
  • Sad 1

On 7/21/2023 at 3:22 PM, Strider.7849 said:

I have a full set of legendary runes and I can appreciate that you're using them for a significant portion of progress towards the legendary relic. However, the legendary relic should be available to players who do not purchase SotO, so that what we currently worked to make isn't broken and then gated behind a pay wall. 

You think they'd do that after the stunt they just pulled? We're all on some crazy copium here.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Actually if it works the same as with armor and weapons: ergo you get all available stats to select, then I suspect Legendary Relics will be available to non SotO owners. Including SotO relic stats.

Sure you need Season 4 to get Vision, you need Season 3 to get Aurora, you need all seasons to get the Regallia... however all those slots can be filled alternatively.

Having the Relic locked behind SotO would break with that habbit. It would be the first legendary slot that requires owning an expac. 

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Tuna Bandit.3786 said:

Sure you need Season 4 to get Vision, you need Season 3 to get Aurora, you need all seasons to get the Regallia... however all those slots can be filled alternatively.

While Regalia can indeed be replaced by Transcendence, and rings you can get from WvW, there's no replacement for Aurora and Vision. You've got exactly 2 legendary trinkets, and both are unique, so if you need a set you need both of them. 

As such, i'm not very hopeful about Relic. At some point they may add a WvW version, but i wouldn;t hold my breath for it either. Relics are a feature that is meant to make you grind the expansion, and they are clearly dead set on shoving that down our throats.

Edited by Astralporing.1957
  • Like 1
  • Confused 4

On 7/24/2023 at 1:27 AM, WeightTrainer.3219 said:

You will probably need account bound materials to craft the legendary relic and those account bound materials will probably only be available if you have the expansion.

Yep, and as I said weeks ago.   I remember WoW started having these type of issues when the Head Creative Design person started getting involved heavily... it is going down hill!  

Edited by Areoh.7495
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1