Hopefully more promotion, Ads for Soto!

Hi!

I am very much hoping for more advertisements, videos, and promotion for Soto is less than a month away.  Playing since beta but left the game at Hot. However, I remembers with EoD, I was seeing the Ads and other promotions for months, and it brought me and I know many others back into the game. Got back to Hot and Pof and getting mounts and rediscovering the Beaty that is in this game!  I know historically anet has not been good at promoting, but at least with Eod, I felt there was hype for it. I remembers there was even videos, lives and even a video how they did research for the turtle Mount, observing real live turtles etc, and videos of the music director working with Korean musicians to make the amazing music for Eod! They said Eod was a great success! I believed the Ads and promotions helped, and Anet can and did do pretty good for Eod. I don’t see any of that here! I hope they would promote more to help more players discover or rediscover the beautiful game of GW2.

Edited by TonySu.7942
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

This is a significantly smaller expansion. I would not expect to see much external marketing. EoD had the benefit of being a much asked for continent, the end of decade long story arc and the release of Steam, so they went all out.

There will be some more vids, a big of magazine previewing no doubt and a few blogs. I think we safely say that is it. I would be very surprised to see the same level of hype for something half the size and with (if I am interpreting the latest blog correctly) a self contained side story

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Randulf.7614 said:

This is a significantly smaller expansion. I would not expect to see much external marketing. EoD had the benefit of being a much asked for continent, the end of decade long story arc and the release of Steam, so they went all out.

There will be some more vids, a big of magazine previewing no doubt and a few blogs. I think we safely say that is it. I would be very surprised to see the same level of hype for something half the size and with (if I am interpreting the latest blog correctly) a self contained side story

Lets see if they at least take advantage of the steam release with a front page advertisement on launch

Makes me curious if they had that when GW2 launched on steam in the first place?

Edited by jokke.6239

Yo that kittens funny tho. It shows the graphics, the games name, and a mount. Its enough for some players to go on a rabbithole search.

I agree but, its been said thousands of times, gw2 needs more advertising and to be fair with EoD, they did step it up a fair bit but still not enough IMO.

As much as it is cringe, I think the game would benefit alot from an anime or movie crossover event. Warcraft and FF do well because they had a large, genre-defining fanbase before they became an MMO.

conspiracy theory : Soto initially not planed to be an expansion. when someone at ncoft saw how much stuff Anet want change the game and give this free living story chapter they said why not do an expansion and sell this?

now they have no advertising materials since it was not planned

that also explain why so many things will not be ready at start.

edit NCSoft

Edited by Balsa.3951
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Balsa.3951 said:

conspiracy theory : Soto initially not planed to be an expansion. when someone at Ubisoft saw how much stuff Anet want change the game and give this free living story chapter they said why not do an expansion and sell this?

now they have no advertising materials since it was not planned

that also explain why so many things will not be ready at start.

I assume you mean NCSoft?

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

I've seen adverts for it on Facebook and Twitter, and articles about SotO in various gaming media, especially around Felicia Day coming back as Zojja and the fact that the new expansion is addressing a long-running mystery.

It might not be obviously labelled as an advert but I think articles like that can be more effective than showing some random clips to people who are just waiting for something else to start. I saw adverts for a few games in the cinema recently and I can't actually remember what any of the games were, certainly not what their selling points are, just that after I realised it was in-game footage and not weird CGI I was surprised they were advertising games in the cinema. What tends to get me interested in a new game is word of mouth from people I know like similar games to me and articles about unusual or interesting things they're doing.

I've sometimes thought that some of the GW2 adverts on Facebook would actually put me off because it's just images or clips of random bits from the game and telling you it's free to play and it makes it look like another of the hundreds of generic, forgettable fantasy RPGs that get advertised that way and emphasising the free option would make me wonder if it's another of those games advertised on Facebook which is entirely fake. (Some of which make the problem worse because they steal images and clips from games like GW2, WoW or Final Fantasy to use in their own adverts.)

But I don't think there is an effective way to fit the reasons this game appeals to me into an advert, which is probably why I find articles more likely to be effective.