There needs to be a confirmation box for Mesmer Portals

On 7/29/2023 at 2:26 PM, vares.8457 said:

It’s really not that difficult to click the right object. I don’t need a confirmation box before I enter a Mesmer portal. 

True , but a way to detect who is doing it (by Anet) and a 2 week ban would fix it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

On 7/29/2023 at 2:04 PM, Ravenwulfe.5360 said:

The amount of trolling going on in open world events lately being perpetrated by mesmers is starting to get out of hand. It's getting really egregious in events like Triple Trouble where you get sent to a death portal because someone drops a portal on the chest portal spawn, and really really bad in Drizzlewood where the same people that get constantly reported are dropping portals ontop of chests to send people to their death or worse getting stuck in geometry because of it. There really is no excuse for this level of trolling being allowed at this point and something needs to be done.

It was amusing the first couple of times I ran into it, but now it's at almost every meta I've been in. Not just portals - aviator boxes, birthday cake being dropped right on top of the chest making it difficult to click on the chest. I usually just wait until the bulk of the group runs in and does the looting and go in after they've cleared out, mostly because I can barely see what is going on with so many people trying to loot. I don't foresee them changing this unfortunately but agree it's time something is done about it, as it's gotten out of control.  I always thought just putting a short radius around chests so nothing could be dropped would be an easy fix - but there are certain jumping puzzles where that would make friendly portals not doable. Maybe only on certain meta event chests. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

35 minutes ago, Islien.3984 said:

I usually just wait until the bulk of the group runs in and does the looting and go in after they've cleared out, mostly because I can barely see what is going on with so many people trying to loot.

This is honestly the main thing.

You can bind double click to interact and that way you will never trigger portals. If there are many chests to loot, just run ahead of the group, skip the first few and then come back for them later. Any other interaction "blockers" like aviator boxes are honestly just funny and cities and chest loot trains are the only instances I'd want to use them anyway and oh horror, unlike portal they lose you a few seconds of your precious time at best.

You can also just be part of the change. For example at Tarir, place a portal at the center of the chamber where the tarnished traitor is fought and where none would accidently take it. If someone places a troll portal on the chest or on dead people, take it and then pop your own portal - due to the target limit for portals, that guarantees that everyone who takes the troll portal can make it back.

Edited by Endaris.1452

Absolutely no to confirmation box to Mesmer portals regardless of content. This will cause a lot of issue as blocking the player from doing QUICK actions with the portal (raids, wvw, pvp, pve, dungeons, etc). It's not hard to click on what you want to interact with and interact with it rather just blindly pressing your interact key. This has been brought up numerous times on here but they won't do anything to do something. I also don't want a new button to interact as this causes more burden to find a new hotkey.

Edited by oCynder.5136
  • Like 5
  • Sad 1

On 7/31/2023 at 4:42 PM, Blude.6812 said:

True , but a way to detect who is doing it (by Anet) and a 2 week ban would fix it.

When you want Anet to ban people for 2 weeks, because you can't be bothered to look at what you're interacting with. It has sound, it is purple, it literally has a different text. Open your eyes.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 8/2/2023 at 8:32 AM, IAmNotMatthew.1058 said:

When you want Anet to ban people for 2 weeks, because you can't be bothered to look at what you're interacting with. It has sound, it is purple, it literally has a different text. Open your eyes.

Has nothing to do with it, I don't fall for this crap. BUT a ban would a lot to end all the various ways trolls use to get there giggles. Add those that support it with comments like yours only adds to problems and maybe even like to do it.  BTW, Anet will never do it anyway.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Blude.6812 said:

Has nothing to do with it, I don't fall for this crap. BUT a ban would a lot to end all the various ways trolls use to get there giggles. Add those that support it with comments like yours only adds to problems and maybe even like to do it.  BTW, Anet will never do it anyway.

Yeah, Anet won't do anything about it, because it's literally not an issue. You get teleported because you spam interact, near a portal, not because a Mesmer goes "I'll teleport these people),  the Mesmer could literally claim "I accidentally placed the portal" and done, nothing could be done, since it'd risk banning people for just mistakes.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I will never forget the time I was looting chests at the end of Chak Gerent, and fell in to a portal with a terminal height exit point and my character died instantly. It was the first death on that alt, and there is no way to undo that. Griefing is against the game's TOS but there is no way to report these kind of things because you never get to see who placed them. 

That being said I'm going to say no to the confirmation box because a portal lasts for a finite amount of time - a little box to click would waste some of that time. It's the same reason why they've changed some spell casting animations in the past - certain actions eat in to the spell's up time. 

The solution we really want is for the developers to make it impossible to place portals and toy items near chests or on top of other game generated portals like the one at the end of Triple Trouble Wurm.  It is probably difficult to code, but it would solve the issue 100%. 

Edited by Obfuscate.6430
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

I'd say no to this. Plenty of times I'm running along and I just get to a mesmer portal at a jumping puzzle, and I had to confirm a box, I'd already have missed it. I play all the time and I think I've caught more portals at the last minute than I've been teleported by a malicious mesmer. You want me to hit an extra button every single time I take a portal? No thanks.

• Like 2

I guess OP has never played group instance content.

I'm sorry but this is such a dumb request. Mesmer portals are just as much a combat tool that would be ruined if you needed to click a confirmation box.

Maybe lighten up and not take the trolls so seriously. This game is old, janky, and full of weird stuff that is constantly kittening people over. You can either get tilted over nothing, or just learn to laugh along.

• Confused 3