Secrets of the Obscure Launches Tomorrow at Approximately 9 AM Pacific Time.

1 hour ago, Chyro.1462 said:

Is there usually a bigger maintenance before expac release or do they just flip the switch on a 'new build available' like for minor patches?

An expac updates like a minor patch (just more files to download). They just flip a switch and you get a yellow message in game (if you are in game) and then you just end your client and if you start the client again, it will download the new version/update and you can start playing.

Edited by Zok.4956
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Volkie.7301 said:

PDT is used between March-November while PST is used for the rest of the year (USA). The launch will happen at 9AM PDT / 7:30PM UTC / 9:30PM CEST tomorrow.

Time zones are generally per hour and not per half hour. Though there are a handful of time zones that have a 30 or 45 mins offset.  Interestingly, India is one of those places and, well, you put central Europe in the Indian time zone basically 😂

And using UTC is also confusing because it's summertime now in Europe and so it's 5 pm BST and 6 pm CEST. 

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Gehenna.3625 said:

And using UTC is also confusing because it's summertime now in Europe and so it's 5 pm BST and 6 pm CEST. 

Well I started using UTC in this topic. However, not as local time in the UK, but as a "neutral" reference. P.S. Seeing "am" and "pm" in the context of CEST is a bit unusual, since the abbreviations "am" and "pm" tend to come from America. In most European countries, the time is displayed in 24-hour digit format by default. (Mostly, only, analog clocks and watches today still use the 12-hour dial).

Edited by Zok.4956
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Zok.4956 said:

Well I started using UTC in this topic. However, not as local time in the UK, but as a "neutral" reference. P.S. Seeing "am" and "pm" in the context of CEST is a bit unusual, since the abbreviations "am" and "pm" tend to come from America. In most European countries, the time is displayed in 24-hour digit format by default. (Mostly, only, analog clocks and watches today still use the 12-hour dial).

I wasn't responding to you but asking Anet to comment about time zones... well let's just say that Anet has had trouble with time zones in the past so that's why they only put it in just their own time zone lol. So this is a question they are loathe to answer. I wouldn't consider Anet an expert on time zones. But an honest question to you: instead of asking it on a forum, wouldn't it be easier/quicker to type "9am pacific time to cest" in google?

As for the 24h system in Europe. It's not as strange as you may think. In Europe the times are indeed displayed generally in the 24h system but it would actually be weird to use it in speech. You don't say it launches at 1800 hours tomorrow but rather at 6 o' clock tomorrow (evening). The context makes it clear whether it's am or pm. So personally, I'm from Europe and I have no difficulty understanding what 6 pm means especially when it's in the context of the English language. 

Edited by Gehenna.3625
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Gehenna.3625 said:

But an honest question to you: instead of asking it on a forum, wouldn't it be easier/quicker to type "9am pacific time to cest" in google?

I did that and the results were inconclusive. Also because some results included Daylight Saving Time and others didn't.

4 minutes ago, Gehenna.3625 said:

As for the 24h system in Europe. It's not as strange as you may think.

I don't find it strange, For me the 24h hour clock is less confusing. 😇  I find the am/pm distinction rather strange. In particular, the distinction as to whether 12 noon is pm or am and that "12:30 am" is actually 30 minutes past midnight.   (00:30 in 24h clock makes more sense).

17 minutes ago, Gehenna.3625 said:

You don't say it launches at 1800 hours tomorrow but rather at 6 o' clock tomorrow (evening).

In Germany it is not unusual to say "18 Uhr" (18 o'clock). 

But i think we are a little bit off-topic now.  😉

• Like 2

21 hours ago, quake.9023 said:

how i accidentally stumble upon this here? need better marketing, blast this everywhere

My husband told me yesterday he'll be glad when SotO is out so they can stop advertising it everywhere, apparently he's been seeing adverts 'constantly' online. I asked him where and he said mostly social media - Facebook, Twitter and Instagram but also some on Youtube and possibly other websites.

I've seen the posts on Facebook and Twitter but because I follow Anet's accounts on both I wasn't sure which ones were adverts that would go to other people as well and which were just normal posts. (I don't use Instagram and rarely go on Youtube.)