Whats everyone doing for SoO Open World Ele builds?

Zigbert.6520

On 9/10/2023 at 5:08 PM, Shaman.2034 said:

Condition DPS:

Campfire Tempest: A surprisingly high amount of damage can come from specializing entirely into Burning. This build spends all of its time in Fire Attunement and just uses all of the skills that apply Burning on cooldown. Some boon duration is taken to extend Protection from Elemental Shielding for more passive damage resistance, as well as benefitting the build's Might stacking. Scepter/Focus already made this build great before SotO, but having access to Hammer is a further improvement, leaving Scepter/Focus as a very reliable ranged option for even more safety.

how do you find this for OW stuffs? I love that the health is so high and i have yet to roll Ele based on how dang squish they are. This might just change that!  😉

4 hours ago, Joxer.6024 said:

how do you find this for OW stuffs? I love that the health is so high and i have yet to roll Ele based on how dang squish they are. This might just change that!  😉

You can make very beefy ele builds, it just takes a bit more finangling with gear and learning skills and whatnot.

This is what I'm currently running. Just basic celestial for now. I can get 100% condi duration on bleed and burning with tempest runes, or a little under that with trapper runes but it will specifically give more condition damage. Sword/wh has nice evades, and wh4 beefs up boon duration. I can get perma 25 might, quick, etc very easily on my own and in a group it gets shared with allies, so I can just stay in this setup whether I'm solo or in a open world meta event. Health is a little lower and I'm not running full vit/toughness, but the healing power makes recovery after taking a hit easier. Also, quickness makes Signet of Restoration even better since you can auto attack that much faster (I don't recall if resto signet has an ICD on the heal, but I don't think it does). Sword AA also heals, so if you're ever low just swap to water, twirl, stand in the pulse and sword AA for a few seconds and its a large chunk of health back very easily, plus regen ticks and whatnot.

It is melee though - I've found scepter is easier starting out, as I still have some trouble with a few champs puking mess everywhere and it can disrupt damage uptime, but I'm getting better at it. I'll be trying hammer next because I'm not really fond of how scepter plays and hammer has nice options both melee and ranged, so we'll see.

Ofc the same build but weaver is also fine. I know someone linked a thread on weaver soloing that chak boss earlier. Not as much boons, but more barrier and such. Only downside is celestial is expensive. It's still workable tho if you just do a mix of other stuff - do half trailblazer, half plaguedoctor or something, idk. Only downside is celestial is expensive, and personally I don't like to bother with power damage at all, but without it air attunement feels really bad to use and the cele really makes using every attunement feel 'good' instead of 'well everything else is on cooldown, might as well'.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, soulknight.9620 said:

And then you get the same gear on a necro/guard/engie/rev toon and get a lot better results with more sustainability, loads of utility and damage. 

The game has been out for over a decade, at this point do you think anyone left playing ele does it because they want the maximally effective, most easy open world experience possible? Nay! They all think they have sinned in a past life and for whatever reason find the punishment of being alive in the year 2023 to be insufficient.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 8/29/2023 at 8:58 AM, Nephalem.8921 said:

Just quick cata. Swapped to quickherald though since its better in every way.

This vindicator or reaper are the correct answers.

No quickness feels so terrible and there's only 3 playable quickness options in OW because the majority of specs are designed around target dummy encounters which aren't even real content in the game outside a few old raid bosses that aren't relevant.

Edited by Kozumi.5816
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/13/2023 at 10:25 PM, CETheLucid.3964 said:

I'll probably try out hammer tempest next. Figure out some kind of might build up (and share) thing I can do with Mabon's Strength. Tempest (and ele in general) is constantly gaining and shedding might anyway due to flame expulsion. Seems like fun. A good power boost + supporty thing.

Back to say how wrong I was. Even after the nerf/fix to the unintended support share, Mabon's Relic is terrible even as a personal DPS buff. All that stuff I said where you'd think ele would have excellent synergy with it for all the constant might generation? It's for nothing with the CD on the effect itself and it just feels awful to use, especially compared to other options that have no such CD imposed on them and work like you expect them to. You're already going to lose the boosted might 10 seconds in, it's like no thats not harsh enough we need to make it a chore just to even use it. I hope they might look at this relic again. I want to like it. Sounded cool on paper.

Hammer tempest itself is solid though.

Mabon's relic work(ed) great if you only focused on might, and in group.
But since they fixed it, it is totally useless for the group and for personnal DPS it asks too much sacrifice (rotation, might duration and generation etc)

Otherwise I find Hammer Fire Tempest quite nice for LI build.
I was a bit skeptic compared to Scepter/Warhorn, but Hammer spreads a lot of burning, has some cleave (pierce) and #5 synergizes well with overload.
Sadly transcendant tempest is the best option for grandmaster traits, even if you can't loop the buff. Hope one day they'll balance the modifiers with other traits and weapons, and buff Lucid Singularity for all purpose.