Unusual and Ancient Coins change

This is another random change that I just don't understand. I guess I'm just wondering what the purpose of switching the EoD coins to "Ancient Coins" and now having "Unusual Coins" (same icon and everything) drop on SotO maps?

What purpose does this serve? Nevermind the currency bloat, this one just seems to be complication for complication's sake. Any insight would be appreciated.

• Confused 2

10 minutes ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

Does leivas still accept unusual coins or does he accept ancient coins now?

Wiki seems to say (I'm not home to check) that he takes Unusual coins now. Which is really strange to me. Everything that used to be Unusual coins has completely switched over to Ancient Coins except Leivas. So now A.S.S will need to be purchased with SotO currencies?
That seems really messed up.

Edit: adding that Leivas seems to be the only vendor in the game at the moment that accepts Unusual coins.

Edited by idpersona.3810
  • Confused 2

27 minutes ago, idpersona.3810 said:

Wiki seems to say (I'm not home to check) that he takes Unusual coins now. Which is really strange to me. Everything that used to be Unusual coins has completely switched over to Ancient Coins except Leivas. So now A.S.S will need to be purchased with SotO currencies?
That seems really messed up.

Edit: adding that Leivas seems to be the only vendor in the game at the moment that accepts Unusual coins.

People just bought on Monday. Unless Anet answers this then we'll find out next Monday.

@Rubi Bayer.8493, can we get confirmation please?

1 hour ago, idpersona.3810 said:

This is another random change that I just don't understand. I guess I'm just wondering what the purpose of switching the EoD coins to "Ancient Coins" and now having "Unusual Coins" (same icon and everything) drop on SotO maps?

What purpose does this serve? Nevermind the currency bloat, this one just seems to be complication for complication's sake. Any insight would be appreciated.

My guess is that it was done because people had farmed up so many of those coins that they could have instantly bought everything that required them in SotO.  Players having to farm them all over again meant more time they'd be spending on the maps compared to if they didn't have to. The same thing is done in other MMOs like FF14.

Edited by enigmatic.3576
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, enigmatic.3576 said:

My guess is that it was done because people had farmed up so many of those coins that they could have instantly bought everything that required them in SotO.  Players having to farm them all over again meant more time they'd be spending on the maps compared to if they didn't have to. The same thing is done in other MMOs like FF14.

Seemingly, as of now, there are no vendors that take the "new" (SotO) Unusual coins except Leivas in Arborstone. It would seem to be an oversight that he wouldn't have been switched over to Ancient coins along with everything else. If this is intentional, than it's just a stupid change (for seemingly no reason). We shouldn't need coins from SotO to purchase mats for Aurene legendaries.
In an hour, when I get home, I will log in and check on Leivas.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, idpersona.3810 said:

Seemingly, as of now, there are no vendors that take the "new" (SotO) Unusual coins except Leivas in Arborstone. It would seem to be an oversight that he wouldn't have been switched over to Ancient coins along with everything else. If this is intentional, than it's just a stupid change (for seemingly no reason). We shouldn't need coins from SotO to purchase mats for Aurene legendaries.
In an hour, when I get home, I will log in and check on Leivas.

Leivas takes Ancinet coins along with the vendor in Seitung's Daigo Ward. I suspect it is just a name change to fit more thematically, altho it was a bit odd

• Thanks 1

I have found a vendor in the archipelago who takes Unusual Coins. The tab remains locked until you have unlocked some rare skins, but its the final tab of the Astral Ward/provision vendor. There's likely other vendors in the Tower or the other map

- Unusual Coins are for certain SoTo vendors

- Ancient Coins are for use in EoD where they were previously called Unusual. It's a direct name swap, but Wiki is currently not showing the correct info until someone updates it

It's prob done for thematic pruposes. Theyve done similar things before

Edited by Randulf.7614
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Randulf.7614 said:

Ive checked Levias in Arborstone and he is only showing Ancient Coins as an option to me

17 minutes ago, Meridian.4983 said:

He also now takes the blue crystals instead of green crystals.

You are both scholars and gentlefolk.

You have my thanks. I would not have been surprised if this weren't the case given recent oversights.

• Like 1