Poll: Arenanet focus resources on improving the core game or continue with expansions like secrets of the obscure? If you had to pick one.

Poll: Arenanet focus resources on improving the core game or continue with expansions like secrets of the obscure? If you had to pick one.  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Poll: Arenanet focus resources on improving the core game or continue with expansions like secrets of the obscure? If resources could only go to one option

• I would like Arenanet to focus their company resources to focus on improving the game this is already released (class balance, raids, dungeons, bug fixes, world bosses, graphics, servers, gameplay, spvp, wvw, etc.)
    • I would like Arenanet to focus their company resources on continuing to create "mini expacs" like Secrets of the Obscure.

Well they did say doing the SotO like expansions give them enough time to also focus on core upgrade before release did they not?

I would think your poll is not needed.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/studio-update-guild-wars-2-in-2023/

In the next phase of Guild Wars 2‘s development, we’re taking a more balanced approach that will allow us to provide more support for popular game modes, make frequent quality-of-life improvements to core gameplay systems like professions, deliver new features, and expand the world of Tyria with satisfying, immersive story updates.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Found this kinda misleading since the core game to me is "vanilla" or everything pre-HoT.

They have to keep up with bug fixes/server stability regardless so pretty much anything else you listed would get new content from a new expansion/LS. I wouldn't say there's much in the "core game" that would benefit remarkably by being overhauled at this point.

• Sad 1

I'd like them to keep doing both.

They couldn't focus all their resources on bug fixing even if they wanted to because a lot of staff are not qualified to do that. Sure hypothetically they could fire all the writers, artists, 3D moddlers, sound engineers, level designers etc. and use the money to hire more QA staff and other people who can fix bugs, but I suspect it would take more than a year to hire new staff, recognise teams and get them all trained up to do the job efficiently (especially if the people doing it know as soon as they do a good enough job most of them will be fired to hire back people in the roles they need to develop new stuff). In the meantime they're not only not releasing anything new but losing a lot of good will among players and the rest of the industry by firing a lot of people and will almost certainly not get any/all of them back so when development on new stuff does resume it's all new staff (who also have to be hired, organised into teams and trained up) with no continuity with previous development.

On top of that I've seen games attempt to prioritise bug fixing and stability, Elder Scrolls Online did it for a year before they just stopped giving updates because all it did was lead to more complaining that any noticable improvements were barely noticable (loading screens are now a few seconds faster than they used to be for example) and the new stuff which did come out wasn't worth paying for, especially for subscribers. It didn't actually make players happy or get rid of all the bugs, it just meant less to do for a while.

• Thanks 1