"Going The Extra Mile" achievement bugged.

Poki.8235

The achievement requires you to do a T3 rift instead of a T2.

First I tried doing a T3 outside of the story. Nope. OK then.

Replayed the story. Since it's an open world part I had to talk to some NPCs first. Then when I was finally on the step to do a T2 rift I found a commander doing Tier 3's and did one. The story progressed, but I did not get any achievement for it. I also did not have any achievement eligibility icon on me.

I also just wasted time (and a t3 motivation) trying to get this. Replayed the story chapter, listened the NPC until I got to the step asking me to close a t2 rift in the appropriate map. Joined in another cmdr doing a t3 rift, no achievement.

Quit the story chapter, did it again, this time used the rare motivation and opened (and closed) the t3 rift personally, still no credit.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rubi Bayer.8493 said:

😞 I'm sorry about that! We've got a fix for it incoming very soon, though. 

Thank you Rubi.

Side note, all the new story achievements have incorrect text in their descriptions.

When a story achievement has "Journal: X" in it, it tells you the instance name or story step, but all the new achievements just have... the name of the achievement there. Not helpfull when you're trying to figure out where it is ^^;

5 minutes ago, GalenWolffit.3842 said:

@Rubi Bayer.8493 I hope the fix will include a way for people who already progressed past that step by closing a Tier 3 rift as required to get credit, or go back and replay it easily.

You start 8. Into the Obscure, talk to some NPCs, go into an instance to talk to NPCs, and then go to Amnytas to talk to NPCs and you're on that step. It's not that bad, even though I'd like it if you could just do a T3 rift in Amnytas at any point.

5 hours ago, Poki.8235 said:

You start 8. Into the Obscure, talk to some NPCs, go into an instance to talk to NPCs, and then go to Amnytas to talk to NPCs and you're on that step. It's not that bad, even though I'd like it if you could just do a T3 rift in Amnytas at any point.

Yeah.  More unskippable dialog that I've heard multiple times before, because..  well, you know..  I did the whole story, listened to it all, did all the achievement (ANet says LOL just kidding no you didn't here's more) so I go through it again...  (ANet says LOL just kidding you can't get that one yet we didn't bother testing it and it doesn't work), so I go through it yet again...  

Not to mention when you replay it on a character who's already done it (as opposed to slogging through the 7 previous chapters on a new character), you don't get a motivator - which means you have to buy or build a new Tier 2 motivator to progress the story up to the "Close a Tier 2 rift" step, then upgrade it to Tier 3 or hope someone happens to be Tier 3 rift hunting at the time.

So no, you don't just "Start 8, talk talk talk, and you're there".  It's not that simple.

Edited by GalenWolffit.3842
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Rubi Bayer.8493 said:

😞 I'm sorry about that! We've got a fix for it incoming very soon, though. 

It isn't giving credit even if you are on that part of the story.  Please let the fix give us credit for already doing it since it consumed our mats.  (not all of us enjoy farming rifts with such low rewards and wasting more time traveling than fighting)

Not working for me. I am on the story step 8. Into the Obscure.

I tried doing a t3 rift opened by someone else outside of Amnytas - didnt work.

I opened a t3 rift of my own outside of Amnytas, with motivation - didn't work.

I opened a t3 rift of my own inside Amnytas, with motivation - didn't work.

There goes 15g i'd rather have used elsewhere...

Oh by the way I also used the t2 motivation i got from the story, within Amnytas, and it hasn't progressed my story. I'm basically stuck on this step.

I tried to report it, but there is no choice I can enter that takes me even close to this. -_-

Edited by Mournblade.2105
  • Confused 1

Achievement won't pop for me regardless of if I use the Tier 3 motivation or not.

UPDATE: Figured out how to do this. You need to do a few steps before this will pop. You need to click on the Soulbound Uncommon Kryptis Motivation (the one Kamilla gives you) in your inventory, then use the Heart of the Obscure to scan for a Tier 2 Rift. There's some dialogue and you should get the objective "Complete a tier 2 hunt in Amnytas." Then and only then should you do a Tier 3 Rift and the achievement will pop. In hindsight, it seems pretty obvious, but since I was going for a Tier 3 rift, I never bothered with the Uncommon one it gave me.

Edited by Nihlus.9724
  • Thanks 2

On 9/16/2023 at 10:48 AM, Nihlus.9724 said:

UPDATE: Figured out how to do this. You need to do a few steps before this will pop. You need to click on the Soulbound Uncommon Kryptis Motivation (the one Kamilla gives you) in your inventory, then use the Heart of the Obscure to scan for a Tier 2 Rift. There's some dialogue and you should get the objective "Complete a tier 2 hunt in Amnytas." Then and only then should you do a Tier 3 Rift and the achievement will pop. In hindsight, it seems pretty obvious, but since I was going for a Tier 3 rift, I never bothered with the Uncommon one it gave me.

Thanks for the heads-up! That did the trick. 😃

• Confused 1

13 minutes ago, Tidus.5831 said:

What do I do now?

I got it on all three characters that I have already played through the story, so this bug must be a rare occurrence. I therefore recommend you play through the story once more on a different character.

As to being able to proceed with your current character, I recommend you craft another Uncommon Motivation. That should do the trick.

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

I managed to get this in the following way:

• Joined an Amnytas map where a T3 train was running.
  • Used my free T2 motivation to get the message that I'm now searching for tier 2.
  • Used the heart to scan for a rift - which gave me the location of a T2 rift.
  • Ignored this and went to the T3 rift and did that. Of course I couldn't open the rift but it was enough to participate in the kill and the closing of the rift.

8 hours ago, Tidus.5831 said:

I repeated chapter 8 from the beginning but I don't get the Soulbound Uncommon Kryptis Motivation (the one Kamilla gives you in the story).

What do I do now?

This is a known bug and they're working on it. Seems to happen when you reset the story chapter among other causes?

If your current objective is "Take the motivation from Kamilla" then you're stuck and have to wait for a fix. If your current objective it one of these three, then you can buy/craft an Uncommon Kryptis Motivation and do it.

• Use the motivation to enhance the Heart to locate a higher-tier target.
  • Scan for rifts while the Heart is enhanced.
  • Complete a tier 2 hunt in Amnytas.
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/23/2023 at 9:49 PM, Gorizont.4521 said:

Hello! Just completed this achievement.

1.You must talk to NPC Kamilla in the story. There will be a task to close t2 rift

2. Activate [Uncommon Kryptis Motivation] can be crafted

3. use "Scan for rift"

4. close t3 rift

Uhm, so looking for a t3 rift immediately doesn't count? Then I need to understand those rifts better, no clue how I can close a t3 rift if I look for a t2 one 😕

edit: An earlier post helped me

Edited by Felida Felix.9537

To clarify how to unlock the achievement, you have to use the Uncommon motivation (t2) you get from Kamilla and track a tier 2 rift with it. Only then will the story step update to "Complete a tier 2 hunt in Amnytas". That's when you track a tier 3 rift instead and use a Rare Kryptis Motivation to lure out the boss. You can buy a Rare Motivation on the trading post.

Doing this achievement the important part seem to be to avoid to do any T2 Rift (and not do any other events [Defeat the anomalous tentacle and close the rift] at all where you close any Rift, only activate T2 Motivation, Scan, wait to those two NPC you have to speak with to get the soulbound version of Motivation finished their dialogue, activate T3 Motivation, scan now with T3 active instead and keep using that until you have killed Rift boss (consume Rare Motivation).

You will still have a bar telling you to continue to do Rift, but if you already have done all other achievement already there is no point to continue to fill up that bar.

You should check that you got that achievement when you have killed T3 Rift boss in Hero Panel>Achievement (should be displayed there as the last achievement that you have completed). Don't do any other events (as I did where one event did count as a Rift have been closed) while having this story progressing.

For completing this achievement I needed only one Rare Motivation.

Edited by ShadowCatz.8437

36 minutes ago, Destroyalty.5029 said:

+1 also having this issue. I have done both a T3 I opened with a rare motivation and one that someone else opened, both on a character that is on the story step 8. Into the Obscure at the "Use the motivation to enhance the Heart to locate a higher-tier target" step.

Did you use that Soulbound version that Camille will give you before you used T3 Rare Motivation?

You need to trigger that step and then change Motivation to a Rare (T3) Motivation (or you will consume that Uncommon Motivation for T2 Rift). If you didn't open T3 Rift yourself, you will have an option from pop up window when you channel to summon boss at the second stage of Rift hunting.

You need to consume that Motivation at that stage to get reward from the higher tier motivation when you and your group finally close that Rift.