What happened to the leveling? Too fast!

klarra.7542

My hubby and I just came back to game. we were newbies to begin with, but something is DIFFERENT. Leveling together has been so fast we are missing out on everything. We are already in the level 20 story and did not even complete the first section of the first map! We never learned how to do crafting, we didnt get armor or items from quests (we did get some from leveling but not much) its just flew by. So me now I cant even complete my story because I think i need to go back and gear up or something. I don't know. but our level 10 story started, and we were almost 15 when we got out of it. We did ours together. Did a few quests and bam level 20! Is this from the latests patch?

Edited by klarra.7542
clarification
  • Confused 1

No, that's normal.  You will out pace maps very easily, but they scale you down to a lower level.  So if you're in a lower level zone than your actual level, you will be scaled down.  You will still get xp.  You're fine, just continue to follow personal story and finish the map if you so choose, or go to a different one that is level appropriate.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This game is heavily based around getting to level 80 before the game starts imo. I don't think you are missing anything, just like any game of this kind if you really want to know how to do stuff I would just look it up and read some guides. The game isn't going to teach you all that stuff anyway, you can do whatever you want to do whenever you want to do it. If you want to play the story then play that, who cares what level you are as long as it's high enough to allow you to do the content iirc the early story missions require certain levels. You can do whatever you want whenever you want to do it in this game and leveling is often times completely skipped if you buy an expansion you get a level 80 booster, once you have a leveled up character you can get tomes of knowledge fairly easily and auto level alts. Leveling up fast isn't a bad thing, the game starts at level 80. If you are free to play and never plan on buying the game I suggest you look somewhere else as the F2P model is really just a massive demo/trial imo. The meat of this game is instanced content (raids, fractals, strikes), expansion map meta events, WvW, PvP(for a small amount of people), and mastery of your class mechanics in a fun and engaging combat system while having a lot of variety in build experimentation. Leveling and gear acquisition are a relatively small part of the experience compared to other RPGs and are actively made to be fairly easy or almost skipped as a whole. You can get a full set of named exotic berserker set of gear for a few gold on the trading post and you are good to dive into whatever content you want at level 80 like that that with any power based build.

Edited by Mount Mazama.2917
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

They did add the Character Guide achievements which (if you follow them) will give you quite a bit of XP, but levelling has always been fast enough that you won't get to do everything at the recommended level. It depends a bit on what exactly you do, especially how many events you encounter, since events give a lot of XP, but you've never needed to spend a lot of time levelling up.

Importantly though you won't miss anything as a result. You will never be locked out of anything because you're too high level and you can go 'back' to any part of the game whenever you want to complete it. If you're in an open-world map or story instance above the recommended level you'll be scaled down to an appropriate level so you're not one-shotting everything and you'll still get drops (and XP) appropriate to your actual level (although story rewards don't scale up).

Similarly you don't have to do the story as soon as it comes up, if you're in the middle of something and would prefer to finish what you're doing you can just leave it until you're ready.

I don't think you're ever taught to do crafting or prompted to try beyond the notification in the level-up rewards, so you haven't missed anything there. A lot of things in GW2 are like that - you don't need to wait for the game to give you permission to start, if you know something exists and you want to try it you can.

Edited by Danikat.8537
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, DeanBB.4268 said:

You can cheaply supplement gear using the trading post. I usually check every 10 levels and replace stuff more than 10 levels behind, except for weapons, which I keep closer. 

Trinkets (backpack, amulet, rings, accessories) I usually use whatever. 

Or you could start crafting by go to a craftstation, all craftstation have NPC vendors for crafting. Interact those vendor at craftstation and you will have to option to start crafting that crafting discipline. You can for a small fee change which crafting your character have active (default is two crafting discipline for each character; it is possible to buy in Gem Store item which make your character to be able to craft more discipline without the need to pay a fee to change active crafting discipline).

That way you would gradually increase both crafting level and your character (there is two independent XP here: one for crafting and one for your character).

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Crafting

@klarra.7542 you don't really have to gear up for your Personal Story it is first when you get to other Story in Journal (all is for level 80 characters) you would want exotic gear which you can only wear from level 80.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Exotic_armor

Don't forget a craftstation also give access to Material Storage and Bank, so it is useful to check out craftstation and learn about crafting in this game as you can refine material that would fill up your Material Store into another item like Ore can become Ingot, Logs can be refined into Plans etc. You start with 250 stack (can be upgraded from Gem Store into 2500) that can be store for each item that can go directly from character Inventory by using Deposit Material (upper right corner).

Bank is useful for items that can not go to Material Storage and items that might want to move to other characters that are account bound or not have been locked to character from being Soulbound (you can place items that are Soulbound in Bank, but it is a waste of space if you aren't going to use that item later on same character).

As a returning player I would look at your oldest character's first to see if they have got any Birthday items. Some can be rather useful and you will also get level 20 booster which can be used to level up an alt (which can still progress through story incl Personal Story without any real impact).

At level 80 (you need at least one character to be level 80 on account) you will also get access to Mastery which this game introduced with HoT expansion.

I don't know if you only have core or if you also have some expansion or all expansion + Living World Seasons. When you get your character to level 80 you will also have unlocked the base "core" trait line. For the other elite you would need to have that expansion that is connected to that elite.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Specialization

As you can see if you level up a Guardian you will have access to Dragonhunter, Firebrand and Willbender. 

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Specialization#Guardian

To unlock those you will to have enough Hero Points which is easier to get from those expansion maps as each channel (Hero challenge) there give you 10 Points vs core that only will give 1 HP. So there are still things to do after you have got a level 80 character (which is also the reason why you might feel it is much faster level today then when you played when we only had core maps and no Elite Specialization which came with Heart of Thorns (HoT)).

Edited by ShadowCatz.8437

11 minutes ago, thorrand.6548 said:

They introduced a character adventure guide that rewards you for doing things in the game such as dodging attacks, doing hearts, events etc that give you extra experience on top of what you would normally get. This resulted in a huge xp boost in the leveling process

That guide was to provide new player with base knowledge on how to do things in game like Dodge to avoid damage, to use Combo fields with Finisher etc as there where complains that player ignore a lot of those mechanics and new had learned how to do those things. It wasn't to make player to only gain XP faster.

AreneNet have worked on what they would later call the New Player Experience (NPE) for a long time which this is part of to make player be more prepared for harder content then core maps where designed around. That guide is meant to be a check point system where player get a notification when they have done those steps (and be rewarded with XP and some other items).

Edited by ShadowCatz.8437
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, ShadowCatz.8437 said:

That guide was to provide new player with base knowledge on how to things in game like Dodge to avoid damage, to use Combo fields with Finisher etc as there where complains that player ignore a lot of those mechanics and new had learned how to do those things. It wasn't to make player to only gain XP faster.

AreneNet have worked on what they would later call the New Player Experience (NPE) for a long time which this is part of to make player be more prepared for harder content then core maps where designed around. That guide is meant to be a check point system where player get a notification when they have done those steps (and be rewarded with XP and some other items).

Yes but random doing a dodge 3 times and geting a huge chunck of exp aint teaching them anything.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, thorrand.6548 said:

I'm aware. The question was why is the leveling experience faster now and it's absolutely one of the main reasons. Between that, food and the xp boosters you get from leveling you can blow through it in no time with barely completing any maps. 

XP booster that you got from Black Lion Chests (and also get some before ArenaNet changed how many keys you can get each week to prevent key farming) or from buying in Gem Store have have been in this game since the time I started to play, so I don't think they have a very large impact by itself.

Game have more content today (if you only look at total size of all maps that exist and all events, quests, mission or objectives that exist) that force ArenaNet to provide means to catch up if a new play will not feel like it takes for ever to get to that stage where they can participate in those maps events.

This isn't isolated to GW2, but happens all MMO that have been in the market and have expanded their content with more maps and "end game" content like raids, strike mission, PvP/ open world and open world PvP like the form WvW have etc.

• Confused 1

I've played since launch as well. Didn't say it had an impact by itself. It does add up though when you introduce an extra source of experience on top of what was already there was what I was saying. Leveling in gw2 has never been slow but I answered why it was faster now. Everything else is irrelevant to that point. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

Yes but random doing a dodge 3 times and geting a huge chunck of exp aint teaching them anything.

If you know the "secret" how to teach players anything by using in game assets even when they don't want to learn something that are useful (and avoid to give away free reward like gaining some XP), then you are free to suggest ArenaNet how to improve on this matter.

7 minutes ago, thorrand.6548 said:

I've played since launch as well. Didn't say it had an impact by itself. It does add up though when you introduce an extra source of experience on top of what was already there was what I was saying. Leveling in gw2 has never been slow but I answered why it was faster now. Everything else is irrelevant to that point. 

Background knowledge for what have happened during all these years with this game isn't something I would call irrelevant. We are after all talking with @klarra.7542 and try to explain why the experience on levelling might have changed since that time OP did play this game.

There are also other sources then just XP that might have an impact on how a returning player might experience this game as levelling crafting also have an impact on XP for character. This means that while you increase your level in crafting you will also get some XP gain for your character and later you will also have items that will be time gated that might be useful to be able to start to craft once a day until you might need them for your account.

It is also important for @klarra.7542 to understand after level 80 you will still gain XP, but those XP now will turn into Sprit Shard. This happens also if you have no active Mastery track to unlock (it is a hidden XP while you are in those maps) and you gain some Spirit Shards that are used to purchase items that are needed for Ascended crafting or for doing Legendary purchase or crafting.

Here is the total amount of ways to gain XP, which buffs and boosters that exist and how these work: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Experience

1 hour ago, ShadowCatz.8437 said:

Background knowledge for what have happened during all these years with this game isn't something I would call irrelevant.

Now I think you're just trying to be a contrarian. You've been able to get xp through crafting since launch and you also get xp boost as level rewards not just from chests.  What I've stated was the only significant change to experience gain so idk what you're on about unless you just like to write a lot of words. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You seem to think level 20 is high. But it's still low.

What have you done to get to level 10? I explored the starter map a bit, did some hearts and events on the way.

Yes you level really fast, def. faster than 10 years ago, but the stories have stops in its progress. So you'll be forced to level by other means than just through story. Exploring and doing events on the way until you hit the level to continue the story is enough.

And you won't need crafting until you are max level and in need of armor beyond exotic anyway.
Crafting gives exp too, so better avoid it before max level. Maximizing it is expensive too. And you'll probably need your gold for your max. level equipment.
Avoid buffs that boost your exp.
Avoid the adventure guide, that really pushes your levels.

Take as many hps with you as you can find since the traits are more powerful than equipment on mid-level. Equip what you get from story rewards and heart vendors and drops.

The last time I leveled by simply playing +story, it took me 30h in 9 days to complete it (lvl 80 +personal story done).

Edited by Lucy.3728
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Linken.6345 said:

It's not going to teach them actual tactics, but the fact that the Character Guide achievements show up on the HUD for new players (unless they choose to track other achievements) with a big XP reward as an incentive to complete them helps to make sure they're aware it's something they can do and something the game expects them to be doing. Also it means they have to get it right at least 3 times to get the reward.

It's the same with all those achievements. Some direct them to specific maps and activities (like world bosses) which can help with players not knowing what they "should" be doing or where to go next, others introduce them to different mechanics like combos, conditions, reviving allies etc.

It won't get them ready for raids or anything, but it means new players are less likely to be unaware things like dodging or combo skills exist and if they're not sure they're doing it right they can use the achievement to find out.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DeanBB.4268 said:

I wouldn't advise too much crafting for new accounts. Do enough to advance the Adventure Guide, but don't go crazy buying material that you will naturally accumulate as you play.

What do you mean by too much crafting?

Getting at least the crafting to proper level for that armour and weapon that can be used on that character (two discipline) would be enough. It will also save space on Inventory slots as you can now move items to Material Storage and sell mats when you don't need it (or empty Material Storage 250-2500 stack for each item that can be stacked and sell it in one go, move its content to Inventory slot - as you can't do this from Bank or MS with one right click and sell to Black Lion Trade Post - and accumulate Gold this way and at same time prevent clogging up character Inventory as you can now move items to Material Storage from Inventory with one click or refine it for your own usage later as now you have more space for the raw materials).

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, thorrand.6548 said:

Now I think you're just trying to be a contrarian. You've been able to get xp through crafting since launch and you also get xp boost as level rewards not just from chests.  What I've stated was the only significant change to experience gain so idk what you're on about unless you just like to write a lot of words. 

Where in all of your post here did you explain anything or even tried to help OP with guiding OP to GW2 wiki for giving some suggestion on how to do things or why GW2 in 2023 work as it does?

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

If you speak to the Master Craftsman, he/she will explain crafting.

For example:  https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Crusader_Armtree#Dialogue

If I am not remember it wrong, then I think during levelling up you are also suggested to go to a craftstation and talk with crafting vendor.

In most times when I level up a character you also have  a pop up where you get some information what you will unlock when you progress and what unlock and can now use.

Like when you can enter WvW/PvP or start to do Dungeons. Most player that make use of booster to bypass traditional levelling will most likely just click all those pop up away to get to next step or finish up at level 80 as fast as possible and not might even notice them.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

The vast majority of the game is level 80 content now.  To be fair you can do dungeons before level 80, and PvP, and WvW (though you'd be disadvantaged), world bosses, but that's your limit.  When you look at the popular metas, including the silverwastes. it's level 80. Most people consider the personal story the worst told story in the game, at least by mechanics as well. Getting people through the first 80 levels is good for the game on a whole. Obviously a few outliers will find core tyria the best part of the game, but it's also the oldest and it's showing it's age.

The game really comes into its own at level 80. When the game first came out, there was a LOT less to do at level 80 so they had to keep people leveling. Now, most people feel the journey doesn't start until you get to 80, or at least, I feel that way.  Getting to level 80 is more or less a tutorial on how to play your class, but even that can change drastically once you get your elite spec. At the end of the day, getting people into later content faster is just generally better for the game.

People who come from other games are often expecting to leave a zone and never come back, but that's just not true here. I'm in core zones quite frequently. So there's no reason to finish everything your first time through. There's also no reason not to if you're enjoying yourself.  If you're level 70 in a level 40 zone, it's not going to hurt you. Play it anyway. Downleveling exists.

It's not something to worry about, but yes, the game has changed. For me, the game has changed for the better.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, ShadowCatz.8437 said:

Where in all of your post here did you explain anything or even tried to help OP with guiding OP to GW2 wiki for giving some suggestion on how to do things or why GW2 in 2023 work as it does?

The first one where I explained why they are obtaining more experience now.... Doesn't require a wiki. a question was asked and answered. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1