Are there any interracial characters in the game?

Dyfinz.2348

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Dyfinz.2348 said:it can not be inconceivable for there to be half Norn, half Asuran walking around?The chromosomes probably don't match up, so an Asura can't impregnate a Norn. Sylvari are minions of Mordremoth and don't have kids at all. The only one that's "plausible" are norns and humans, but only because they look alike. It's easy to imagine that they aren't cross-fertile.

tl;dr no interracial characters because it's literally inconceivable(wait for it...)

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@Dyfinz.2348 said:it can not be inconceivable for there to be half Norn, half Asuran walking around?The chromosomes probably don't match up, so an Asura can't impregnate a Norn. Sylvari are minions of Mordremoth and don't have kids at all. The only one that's "plausible" are norns and humans, but only because they look alike. It's easy to imagine that they aren't cross-fertile.

tl;dr no interracial characters because it's literally
inconceivable
(wait for it...)

I can't figure out pictures under this system but imagine an image of the dude from Princess Bridehttps://giphy.com/search/vizzini/

@Alpharius.2138 said:This used to come up a lot. The official Dev answer is that none of the races are able to cross breed.

Where is this official answer? Since it has been awhile maybe they can say it again.

Some of them are far fetched I am sure...but they way the whole world works..I doubt "genetics" even work the same...magic and all..resureect....lol

I think the reason they got away with it in LotR (and all its derivatives) is the races were all created by the same gods and gods gifted a group of humans with certain traits which allowed for interbreeding (Strider is one of those humans and Elrond is Eldrond Half Elf for a reason). However in GW2 there is no lore basis for this due to the humans being from another world and no above all god pantheon which claims to have created all life, as far as we know the races of Tyria evolved.

Plus I think you'd split a lot of Asura in half trying this.

@Dyfinz.2348 said:Like half charr, half human?

I don't mind that we can't play them....but surely...it can not be inconceivable for there to be half Norn, half Asuran walking around?

:D

Long ago we were told that different race pairings could not produce offspring. No, I’m not scouring the deep and dark internet to find the exact dev response.

@Swagger.1459 said:

I don't mind that we can't play them....but surely...it can not be inconceivable for there to be half Norn, half Asuran walking around?

Long ago we were told that different race pairings could not produce offspring. No, I’m not scouring the deep and dark internet to find the exact dev response.

Then the matter is not closed. Your words are not enough to end the matter.

@Coulter.2315 said:I think the reason they got away with it in LotR (and all its derivatives) is the races were all created by the same gods and gods gifted a group of humans with certain traits which allowed for interbreeding (Strider is one of those humans and Elrond is Eldrond Half Elf for a reason). However in GW2 there is no lore basis for this due to the humans being from another world and no above all god pantheon which claims to have created all life, as far as we know the races of Tyria evolved.

That is one conclusion, but we have seen "gods" and supernatural phenomena in the game....I doubt even Darwin would claim evolution in Tyria....lol

I mean Sylvari come from a dream under a tree...lol

@Dyfinz.2348 said:

@Swagger.1459 said:

Then the matter is not closed. Your words are not enough to end the matter.

Then search for the comments and find out for yourself. The old forums are gone and it’s not easy to find a link. Gaile herself commented in the old forums thread as well... Regardless, you’re not getting mixed races due to dev “reasons”. Good luck!

@Dyfinz.2348 said:

@Coulter.2315 said:I think the reason they got away with it in LotR (and all its derivatives) is the races were all created by the same gods and gods gifted a group of humans with certain traits which allowed for interbreeding (Strider is one of those humans and Elrond is Eldrond Half Elf for a reason). However in GW2 there is no lore basis for this due to the humans being from another world and no above all god pantheon which claims to have created all life, as far as we know the races of Tyria evolved.

That is one conclusion, but we have seen "gods" and supernatural phenomena in the game....I doubt even Darwin would claim evolution in Tyria....lol

I assumed you were talking about the actual breeding species; Charr, Norn and Asura. Sylvari don't breed at all. I am not dismissing gods existing in GW2 but I haven't seen anyone claim a single pantheon or singular diety created Charr, Norn and Asura and created them or blessed them in such a way that they are compatible. I haven't even seen a creation myth for them (there may be one) so assume evolution as default.

@Coulter.2315 said:

@Dyfinz.2348 said:

I assumed you were talking about the actual breeding species; Charr, Norn and Asura. Sylvari don't breed at all. I am not dismissing gods existing in GW2 but I haven't seen anyone claim a single pantheon or singular diety created Charr, Norn and Asura and created them or blessed them in such a way that they are compatible. I haven't even seen a creation myth for them (there may be one) so assume evolution as default.

yea, but it does not really fit the world....we may not know the lore of all the races to origin...

but considering humans were brought to the planet/world and Sylvari woke up...evolution may not be "my" default" guess....im guessing something mystical for the others as well.

What science can even be applied to this fantasy world realistically?

@Dyfinz.2348 said:

@Coulter.2315 said:

@Dyfinz.2348 said:

yea, but it does not really fit the world....we may not know the lore of all the races to origin...

but considering humans were brought to the planet/world and Sylvari woke up...evolution may not be "my" default" guess....im guessing something mystical for the others as well.

Asura spend quite a lot of their time applying science to this fantasy world.

@Coulter.2315 said:

@Dyfinz.2348 said:

@Coulter.2315 said:

@Dyfinz.2348 said:

These?

• College of Dynamics
  • College of Statics
  • College of Synergetics

magiscience...no sorry...no lol

@Dyfinz.2348 said:

@Coulter.2315 said:

@Dyfinz.2348 said:

@Coulter.2315 said:

@Dyfinz.2348 said:

These?
  • College of Dynamics
  • College of Statics
  • College of Synergetics

Science is making an educated guess, testing it, recording the results, altering your guess from your results and going again. It is a process and yes the Asura use it all the time. Taimi spent an entire season studying how magic was split like light and discovered the Chakk have organs which filtered out death magic so they didn't eat it (sounds like evolution to me, since the ancestors of the Chakk whose organs didn't filter death magic probably died allowing the genes with the filter to become dominant).

To be very clear science is not "absence of magic," it is only absence of magic in our world because there is no magic here, in Tyria where magic exists science still functions perfectly well and incorporates magic into itself. You would study magic like you study chemistry here.

@Coulter.2315 said:

@Dyfinz.2348 said:

@Coulter.2315 said:

@Dyfinz.2348 said:

@Coulter.2315 said:

@Dyfinz.2348 said:

These?
  • College of Dynamics
  • College of Statics
  • College of Synergetics

Science is making an educated guess, testing it, recording the results, altering your guess from your results and going again. It is a process and yes the Asura use it all the time. Taimi spent an entire season studying how magic was split like light and discovered the Chakk have organs which filtered out death magic so they didn't eat it (sounds like evolution to me, since the ancestors of the Chakk whose organs didn't filter death magic probably died allowing the genes with the filter to become dominant).

"filter death magic"

Okay now its a semantics issue. What scientific discipline can you name out of Physics, Chemistry, Biology...ect...that can be realistically applied to this game?

Physics is the most likely...and that's a stretch.

But you are trying to steer the conversation away from the point I made with saying what "science" is.....

I am saying that for me, based on observation and available lore, evolution is not the most likely cause for the origin of species on this world/plane of existence.

Only the Dev-Above-All can say for sure.

@Ashen.2907 said:Biology, physics, mathematics, chemistry, and others have all be demonstrated, in game lore, as applicable.

They may indeed have a version of those....but they are far and away from what we know to be true in our world.

Our Earthly science will not kill this concept.

@Dyfinz.2348 said:

@Coulter.2315 said:

@Dyfinz.2348 said:

@Coulter.2315 said:

@Dyfinz.2348 said:

@Coulter.2315 said:

@Dyfinz.2348 said:

These?
  • College of Dynamics
  • College of Statics
  • College of Synergetics

"filter death magic"

Okay now its a semantics issue. What scientific discipline can you name out of Physics, Chemistry, Biology...ect...that can be realistically applied to this game?

Physics is the most likely...and that's a stretch.

But you are trying to steer the conversation away from the point I made with saying what "science" is.....

I am saying that for me, based on observation and available lore, evolution is not the
most likely
cause for the origin of species on this world/plane of existence.

No god has claimed Tyria as their creation, so with the absence of that why couldn't life have evolved? It is literally the survival of mutation which reacts best to the environment, I think the Chakk were shown to be a good candidate for this and until a god or scientist claims they created the Chakk I think evolution is a perfectly valid guess.

Physics is the study of the natural world (they do that in Tyria), biology is the study of life (they do that in Tyria), chemistry is the study of substances (they do that in Tyria).

Archived