What changes to fishing you would like to see in future?

1 hour ago, Lucy.3728 said:

Something I got told early on when I complained how little the game itself helps, that I have to use the wiki for almost every information was: Playing the Wiki is part of the game.

Except in this case it's mostly a faulty complaint, considering that information is available ingame through fishing collections.

Other MMORPGs are shipped with fishing on launch, but in GW2 it is endgame-content 😕. A questionable design choice

The system absolutely lacks any real purpose. The fish are crafting ingredient for a handful of food, everything else is Ancient Ambergis farming to build legendary weapons.
- add material-class fishbone, which can be used to craft a special weapon- and armor-set
- add material-class fishscale, which can be used to craft inventory bags with lower Rune of Holding costs
- extend the trash-item list and add skritt vendors, which trade trash for useful items (e. g. globs of ectoplasm) with a daily exchange-limit
- add utility-food that can be crafted with fishing-materials
- add bait that requires combining fish-meat and special crops, putting them into the home instance planters for a day, that bait can attract rare fish without requiring a fishing-circle

The system could also use a couple of features:
- add fish to all water-sources, including instances and WvW. 
- extend the mastery-line to unlock:
- give use the skiff with the cooking station you have scrapped in the development process
- add a storage-system for lure and bait. If a member of the fishing-party runs out of bait/lure, they can refill from that storage
- an auto-pilot that automatically moves to the closes next fishing-circle, once the current one is empty
- a fishing-radar that reads out the current catchable fish according to your bait, the location and daytime

In addition, I would really like to see an update to the jade-silver vendors which allows us to purchase rare premium fishing gear, like ascended bait and key components for that growable bait mentioned above. As well as a custom bounty-system to catch a local predator, which is a champion-rank boss that spawns in the water. In some regions this could be a Hylek or a Quaggan.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

/rant

Again I need that Dusk/Dawn fish for one achievement and I spend 40 mins of preparation (fishing stacks, food, Eod heart bonus) for 5 min window where I have chance to catch the fish and what a suprise nothing. In that 5 min window I got to 11 tries and now I need to 1 hour to try again and I can not do anything else on that char.

It is frustrating and I would like to have fishing removed from game. Just give everyone all achievements so noone will complain about it and remove fishing from game. You get nothing from fishing anyway only useful thing is ambergris and you can farm levi or do meta event.

If you remove fishing from game, then you save resources in future, noone will complain about it and new players will get better experience.

• Confused 1

45 minutes ago, TheNurgle.4825 said:

/rant

Again I need that Dusk/Dawn fish for one achievement and I spend 40 mins of preparation (fishing stacks, food, Eod heart bonus) for 5 min window where I have chance to catch the fish and what a suprise nothing. In that 5 min window I got to 11 tries and now I need to 1 hour to try again and I can not do anything else on that char.

Giant octopus? 😅 

45 minutes ago, TheNurgle.4825 said:

It is frustrating and I would like to have fishing removed from game. Just give everyone all achievements so noone will complain about it and remove fishing from game. You get nothing from fishing anyway only useful thing is ambergris and you can farm levi or do meta event.

Well, then you can just not do it. What you just said is the same -or even more so- for a lot of the achievements in the game. They give you nothing or next to nothing, they're just achievements, so... remove them from the game and give everyone free ap so nobody complains? I'm not sure about that.

Edited by Sobx.1758

It need more high end rewards that are as consistent as ambergris, not immediately but as the expansions go on. For example introduce a material thats only gotten via fishing in the upcoming third map of soto. Something Legendary Armor related. So that fishing stays profitable in the long run. I fear for ambergris's future and therefore fishing's.

Of course they cant do that now without people asking for SotO refunds since fishing(eod) was never advertised to be part of/precursor to any SotO features.

Edited by MalekithDG.6124
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, MalekithDG.6124 said:

It need more high end rewards that are as consistent as ambergris, not immediately but as the expansions go on. For example introduce a material thats only gotten via fishing in the upcoming third map of soto. Something Legendary Armor related. So that fishing stays profitable in the long run. I fear for ambergris's future and therefore fishing's.

Of course they cant do that now without people asking for SotO refunds since fishing(eod) was never advertised to be part of/precursor to any SotO features.

Fishing already has a legendary component that enables players to make decent gold from it. Why excatly does it need more legendary components added?

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, MalekithDG.6124 said:

Im sure if you re-read my reply you can get an answer to it man.

The only thing you said there is "so that fishing stays profitable in the long run"? But it already is profitable in a long run -hence the "Fishing already has a legendary component that enables players to make decent gold from it" in my first response.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Giant octopus? 😅

Muskellunge 🥲

10 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Well, then you can just not do it. What you just said is the same -or even more so- for a lot of the achievements in the game. They give you nothing or next to nothing, they're just achievements, so... remove them from the game and give everyone free ap so nobody complains? I'm not sure about that.

True, achievements give you nothing, but I never saw frustrating achievements. Like they can be challenging, but lets be real dusk/dawn fishes was and is stupid. I did some fishing achievements and day/night cycle is kind of annnoying, but you have time to actually do it. I never had issue to catch any leggy fish during day or night it just take time.

Now that I read it. Anything link to Dusk/Dawn make no sense.

Just now, TheNurgle.4825 said:

Muskellunge 🥲

Ah, for me the octopus was the problematic dusk/dawn fish, wondered if it was the same for you -apparently not.

6 minutes ago, TheNurgle.4825 said:

True, achievements give you nothing, but I never saw frustrating achievements. Like they can be challenging, but lets be real dusk/dawn fishes was and is stupid. I did some fishing achievements and day/night cycle is kind of annnoying, but you have time to actually do it. I never had issue to catch any leggy fish during day or night it just take time.

Now that I read it. Anything link to Dusk/Dawn make no sense.

Well, yeah, adding "dusk/dawn" fishes to the colletions was a bit weird, I can undersand tackling that specific part of the collections instead of the previous "total" solution 😄

1 minute ago, MalekithDG.6124 said:

I guess you have to up your game man. I dont know what to tell you.

Maybe that you have no reason behind your proposal, because it already is profitable (while not being new)? Or don't, already seems clear enough to me. 😉

• Confused 1

If the only reason people are fishing is to get materials to sell and make money, I think that says something about fishing then.

This is a fairly common statements seen on forums ' if X is removed from Y, no one will play Y'.  When I see that, my opinion isn't that rewards are insufficient for Y, but rather that Y is just not the fun to play.  And it not being fun to play is the real issue.

If fishing was an easier task to do (not having to worry what character has the fishing gear, right type of bait, and then an active mini game), I'd probably do it more, even if the rewards were not great.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, TheNurgle.4825 said:

/rant

If you remove fishing from game, then you save resources in future, noone will complain about it and new players will get better experience.

I think they should remove PVP from the game, because I'm likely never going to finish those achievements

/sarcasm

• Confused 2

25 minutes ago, Solvar.7953 said:

If the only reason people are fishing is to get materials to sell and make money, I think that says something about fishing then.

Ok, where did you get this from though? You're not quoting anything or anyone, just seemingly making a claim and responding to it as if you're commenting on something anyone said.

25 minutes ago, Solvar.7953 said:

This is a fairly common statements seen on forums ' if X is removed from Y, no one will play Y'.  When I see that, my opinion isn't that rewards are insufficient for Y, but rather that Y is just not the fun to play.  And it not being fun to play is the real issue.

If fishing was an easier task to do (not having to worry what character has the fishing gear, right type of bait, and then an active mini game), I'd probably do it more, even if the rewards were not great.

Gathering nodes already exist in the game for that simplified "press f to get..." experience, I don't think there's a need to make fishing similar to those.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Ok, where did you get this from though? You're not quoting anything or anyone, just seemingly making a claim and responding to it as if you're commenting on something anyone said.

Gathering nodes already exist in the game for that simplified "press f to get..." experience, I don't think there's a need to make fishing similar to those.

3 hours ago, MalekithDG.6124 said:

Which from my reading, MalekithDG.6124 is suggesting fishing needs better long term rewards.

I normally don't bother quoting people, because I figure most people can read the entire thread and get the content, and it doesn't need to get duplicated multiple times.

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Solvar.7953 said:

Which from my reading, MalekithDG.6124 is suggesting fishing needs better long term rewards.

I normally don't bother quoting people, because I figure most people can read the entire thread and get the content, and it doesn't need to get duplicated multiple times.

My point in that message wasnt that fishing isnt profitable today. It was merely A CONCERN of mine that ambergris may or may not stay around 2 gold forever. Its not like Mystic Coin, it is highly farmable material in great numbers with a lot of fishers. I simply thought... X years into the future what will happen if ambergris only costs 1 gold or maybe 80 silver each? None would fish for that measly reward unless they are there for community and activity is just a front. Its not that I want fishing to be more profitable today, it is already pretty profitable for the amount of attention it requires.

I also read your previous reply and I agree that if the reward is the only reason while anyone does any activity then there is a design problem but I would argue thats not the case for fishing. Im pretty sure fishing cant be improved. I mean it can... but you know... We are in a MMORPG and not a dedicated fishing simulation game.

• Confused 1

One other annoyance with fishing - if you want to get the chunks of ancient ambergis, there are vendors where you can trade in a certain fish for it with some cap/week.  However, it needs the specific fish before being filleted, so it means if you go this route, you are keeping 20 varieties of fish in your inventory so you are ready for whatever is demanded at next refresh cycle.

Though right now, the price of just buying the fish of the TP vs the cost of the ambergis of the TP are pretty close to each other, at least when I looked a few days ago.  Which is somewhat surprising - normally there is something of a premium for time gated materials, but I guess this also means that it might just make sense to sell the fish and not worry about trading them in for the ambergis.

• Confused 1

19 hours ago, Solvar.7953 said:

22 hours ago, MalekithDG.6124 said:

....but as pointed out immediately under his post, fishing already is rewarding and I don't see a reason for buffing those rewards. Notice that people who already keep fishing don't try to push for more rewards in order for them to keep fishing, so this still seems like the comment coming out of nowhere to me.
In the same way, I can look for a single similar post about any content in the game and claim that since someone asked for more rewards, there's something wrong with the content.

1 hour ago, Solvar.7953 said:

One other annoyance with fishing - if you want to get the chunks of ancient ambergis, there are vendors where you can trade in a certain fish for it with some cap/week.  However, it needs the specific fish before being filleted, so it means if you go this route, you are keeping 20 varieties of fish in your inventory so you are ready for whatever is demanded at next refresh cycle.

Though right now, the price of just buying the fish of the TP vs the cost of the ambergis of the TP are pretty close to each other, at least when I looked a few days ago.  Which is somewhat surprising - normally there is something of a premium for time gated materials, but I guess this also means that it might just make sense to sell the fish and not worry about trading them in for the ambergis.

You might want to recheck the actual offers or be more specific about which trades you're talking about. "Specific fish for ambergris" is 1 per day (and it's always a rare fish). As far as I'm aware, you can't buy a specific fish off the tp. Another option is 10 flawless fish fillets for 1 ambergris, I don't remember what the cap is.

Actually considering these posts, maybe anet should make a free/infinite fishing bait that turns off both the fishing mechanic (so I guess now you only throw in the hook, wait for the fish to move it and press a key to freely reel it in?) and any fishes rewarding materials.
In the end if someone says they'd enjoy vastly simplified version of it, while at the same time argue that there's something wrong with fishing when people expect rewards for it... they should be all over that simplified no reward but relaxing type of fishing?

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Confused 1

21 hours ago, MalekithDG.6124 said:

what will happen if ambergris only costs 1 gold or maybe 80 silver each? None would fish for that measly reward

In theory, people will farm it less and so the supply will drop. If supply drops without a massive drop in demand, then the price will go back up. 

Fishing makes you really appreciate some environments, but thanks to the skiff stacks you can't really perch yourself on a nice rock to really get immersed. The stacks should work as long as your skiff doesn't despawn. Then set the buff timer to two minutes if the skiff does despawn or you change maps. Mobs killing your skiff and having to take care of them and wait to get out of combat takes longer than the 15 seconds we get.

Also having two bank tabs dedicated to fishing really sucks. Have to keep the rare fish for daily catch and all the bait when there should have been a tackle box inventory.