I think we need a night mode

Demeth.5816

Hello everyone!I wanted to give my little feedback about this brand new forum!

I think it is awesome-looking and waaayy clearer. BUT its also waayy too bright for me :'( What about making the background black or at least greyish?

Sorry if this it not in the right category :cold_sweat:

Great job still Anet ! Nice surprise aswell :)

Not that this is a full solution, but many computers feature the ability to turn on blue light filtering, which will cut down on some of the harshness at night. For example Windows 10 has a feature called "Night Light" that lets users set a time and a colour temperature to be used after that time. Macs have something similar but I don't know what it's called off the top of my head.

Hi folks,Looking at the downloaded pages, it seems that the new forum is using this software: https://vanillaforums.com/en/software/

If it is, then the authors have stated that themes are not currently supported, in their own forums. So, I'm guessing this isn't something you will get too quickly.

In the mean time, if you use chrome and a plugin called stylebot, you can make your own dark mode fairly quickly for just these forums. You can start by importing something like the style set below and fiddling with it:

{"*":{"_enabled":true,"_rules":{}},"en-forum.guildwars2.com":{"_enabled":true,"_rules":{"div.MainContent":{"background-color":"#022"},"div.HeaderNavDiv":{"background-color":"#022"},"div.ContentWrap":{"background-color":"#022"},"div.HeaderTopWrap":{"background-color":"#022"},"div.Content-art.Content-art--right":{"background-color":"#022"},"div.HeaderBottomWrap":{"background-color":"#022"},"div.Container-top":{"background-color":"#022"},"ul.HeaderNav":{"background-color":"#022"},"a.BestOf":{"color":"#bbb"},"a.TaggedArenanet":{"color":"#bbb"},"a.Selected":{"color":"#bbb"},"ul.HeaderNav li a":{"font-color":"bbb"},"div.PromotedContent h4":{"color":"#cab"},"h2.H":{"color":"#acb"},"h1.H.HomepageTitle":{"color":"#abb"},"a.Title":{"color":"#8cc"},"div.PageTitle h1":{"color":"#9bb"},"div.Message p":{"color":"#aaa"}}}}

@Mallory.9726 said:In the mean time, if you use chrome and a plugin called stylebot, you can make your own dark mode fairly quickly for just these forums. You can start by importing something like the style set below and fiddling with it:

`

Do you know if there is anything like that for FireFox? Though Firefox is changing drastically in two months and may no longer suit anyway (curse the loss of tab grouping, curse it!), in which case I shall assuredly ask this in regard to whatever browser I move to. If so, is there a way to tell it specifically to change the white background here to a duller parchment hue without altering anything else or changing any other web page?

The thread topic is definitely something I'd like to see, but this thread also, specifically the OP, is an example of how the like/dislike setup could potentially be problematic. If a thread gets hundreds of likes, we'd wind up with a wall of icons. Would be nice if the likes/dislikes/helpfuls could be wrapped into a flyover when you hover over the like/dislike/helpful buttons, similar to how Disqus does it.

Hi Donari,I'm sure there will be ways of overriding the background colour using stylesheets stored on your pc, but I'm no expert on it. I think someone else mentioned doing just that in one of the many other threads there already are about themes :)I don't use firefox, but I should imagine a more helpful soul than myself will chip in with the name of an appropriate plugin that does the same thing.I'm sorry I can't be more helpful, the best I can offer would be the result of a quick search for firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefox/addon/stylish/ I'm guessing that will be a similar plugin.

I made a few little changes to the stylebot settings I posted above to change a few colours I missed and to remove the side banners. Please see below: {"*":{"_enabled":true,"_rules":{}},"en-forum.guildwars2.com":{"_enabled":true,"_rules":{"div.MainContent":{"background-color":"#022"},"div.HeaderNavDiv":{"background-color":"#022"},"div.ContentWrap":{"background-color":"#022"},"div.HeaderTopWrap":{"background-color":"#022"},"div.Content-art.Content-art--right":{"background-color":"#022","display":"none"},"div.HeaderBottomWrap":{"background-color":"#022"},"div.Container-top":{"background-color":"#022"},"ul.HeaderNav":{"background-color":"#022"},"a.BestOf":{"color":"#bbb"},"a.TaggedArenanet":{"color":"#bbb"},"a.Selected":{"color":"#bbb"},"ul.HeaderNav li a":{"font-color":"bbb"},"div.PromotedContent h4":{"color":"#cab"},"h2.H":{"color":"#acb"},"h1.H.HomepageTitle":{"color":"#abb"},"a.Title":{"color":"#97bdbd","font-size":"15px"},"div.PageTitle h1":{"color":"#9bb"},"div.Message p":{"color":"#aaa"},"div.Wrap":{"border-color":"#ffffff"},"td.DiscussionName":{"margin-top":"0","padding-top":"0"},"span.MiniPager a":{"font-size":"15px"},"div.Content-art.Content-art--left":{"display":"none"},"a.UserLink.BlockTitle":{"color":"#aaa"},"span.Number":{"color":"#abc"},"#welcome-block":{"background-color":"#022"},"div.Wrap h3 a":{"color":"#abc"},"h1.H":{"color":"#add","font-size":"20px"},"div.Box.BadgeGrid h2":{"color":"#add","font-size":"18px"},"div.editor-help-text":{"color":"#aaa"},"img.ProfilePhoto.ProfilePhotoSmall":{"border-style":"solid","border-color":"#28373d","border-top-width":"1px","border-left-width":"1px","border-bottom-width":"1px","border-right-width":"1px","width":"24px","height":"24px"}}}} The above should also reduce the size of the thumbs up/down icons to 24x24px.

Obviously, an official solution would be better :)

Last version of stylebot settings, I promise... {"*":{"_enabled":true,"_rules":{}},"en-forum.guildwars2.com":{"_enabled":true,"_rules":{"div.MainContent":{"background-color":"#022"},"div.HeaderNavDiv":{"background-color":"#022"},"div.ContentWrap":{"background-color":"#022"},"div.HeaderTopWrap":{"background-color":"#022"},"div.Content-art.Content-art--right":{"background-color":"#022","display":"none"},"div.HeaderBottomWrap":{"background-color":"#022"},"div.Container-top":{"background-color":"#022"},"ul.HeaderNav":{"background-color":"#022"},"a.BestOf":{"color":"#bbb"},"a.TaggedArenanet":{"color":"#bbb"},"a.Selected":{"color":"#bbb"},"ul.HeaderNav li a":{"font-color":"bbb"},"div.PromotedContent h4":{"color":"#cab"},"h2.H":{"color":"#acb"},"h1.H.HomepageTitle":{"color":"#abb"},"a.Title":{"color":"#97bdbd","font-size":"15px"},"div.PageTitle h1":{"color":"#9bb"},"div.Message p":{"color":"#aaa"},"div.Wrap":{"border-color":"#ffffff"},"td.DiscussionName":{"margin-top":"0","padding-top":"0","border-bottom-width":"1px","border-style":"groove","border-color":"#784078"},"span.MiniPager a":{"font-size":"15px"},"div.Content-art.Content-art--left":{"display":"none"},"a.UserLink.BlockTitle":{"color":"#aaa"},"span.Number":{"color":"#abc"},"#welcome-block":{"background-color":"#022"},"div.Wrap h3 a":{"color":"#abc"},"h1.H":{"color":"#add","font-size":"20px"},"div.Box.BadgeGrid h2":{"color":"#add","font-size":"18px"},"div.editor-help-text":{"color":"#aaa"},"img.ProfilePhoto.ProfilePhotoSmall":{"border-style":"solid","border-color":"#28373d","border-top-width":"1px","border-left-width":"1px","border-bottom-width":"1px","border-right-width":"1px","width":"32px","height":"32px"},"td.BlockColumn.BlockColumn-User.FirstUser":{"border-bottom-width":"1px","border-style":"groove","border-color":"#784078"},"td.BigCount.CountComments":{"border-color":"#784078","border-style":"groove","border-bottom-width":"1px"},"td.BigCount.CountViews":{"border-color":"#784078","border-style":"groove","border-bottom-width":"1px"},"td.BlockColumn.BlockColumn-User.LastUser":{"border-style":"groove","border-bottom-width":"1px","border-color":"#784078"},"blockquote.UserQuote":{"background-color":"#033"},"img.ProfilePhoto.ProfilePhotoMedium":{"height":"50px","width":"50px"}}}} Increased the vote icons sizes back up a touch, they looked wrong!Decreased the left-hand side user avatar icon size a little.Lightened the background of quoted sections a little.Added a thin, dark divider between post rows in the categories.

Again, use at your own risk!

I'm using the Firefox addon, "Dark Background and Light Text". You can adjust quite a lot to your taste, and enable/disable it on a site by site basis. It will not do anything with the size of the page text* or with icons, etc. , which means it may not be enough for some.

*For a larger text size, I usually just do a CTRL + on the page in question. It has worked here no problem.

Archived