Are we really getting pistol, and not greatsword or some kind of bow??

Sensations.9507

9 hours ago, draxynnic.3719 said:

Sure, but Lava Arrows were a skill in GW1. As was Shock Arrow. There are also a couple of spear/javelin skills that could be reframed as arrows. And there are a lot of settings where archers imbuing their arrows with elemental magic to achieve a variety of effects are a thing.

I disagree with the premise of this thread that elementalists using pistols is inappropriate in a universe where pistols have definitely been established to exist and function effectively as channels of magical energy. But counter-arguing by saying that bow ele shouldn't exist either is flawed by the same principle.

You clearly either didn't read, or don't recall reading, some of the threads I read.

It was less popular than bow, to be sure, but it definitely existed.

That was sarcasm to show that it didn't matter whether you(not specifically you) said arrows or bullets, it made no difference. I said that to make a point on the ridiculousness of the statement, well opinion if you ask me, but not to that guy apparently.

Edited by ScottBroChill.3254

9 hours ago, RazieL.5684 said:

Interesting, I was not aware of those since my knowledge is mostly on European history and warfare. But the fact it had to use gunpowder means it is more of a Engi weapon then an Ele one according to some people's logic on why they can't use guns. They basically had to use a gunpowder explosion to achieve it means that it is not really "magical". So, people who are against guns because they don't fit the theme should also be against fire arrows as well then because it is just a basic rocket/gun which is the same reason they hate pistols. 

So, at the end of the day, magic enhancing arrows is the concept as magic enhancing bullets with its concept. Meaning, some people just don't like guns which is ok, but it doesn't mean everything or anyone has to follow that rule when it comes to settings including Fantasy.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

On 11/16/2023 at 6:36 PM, Darklord Roy.2514 said:

Also, mesmer and necromancer are both casters and both have also had pistol for years. Why is it suddenly an issue with elementalist?

Because these already have other, more popular weapons that ele doesn't have, like greatsword. Pistol fits the duelist theme of the mesmer, and necro already has greatsword, which is cool. None of these 2 would be thematically aesthethic with a longbow or a shortbow, but an ele is, because of the arcane archer archetype and how ice, fire, shock and earth arrows are already familiar with most of the high fantasy fans.

At the end though, pistol might be cool if we finally get a proper, competitive ranged option for ele. The only reason I (and i guess most people) want a longbow on an ele is because we lack any good ranged options, staff has been sitting in the dumpster ever since HoT's meteor shower nerf, and scepter is alright I guess but I kinda see it pseudo-ranged.

Edited by Knuckle Joe.7408
  • Like 3
  • Confused 2

On 11/24/2023 at 7:10 PM, Knuckle Joe.7408 said:

Because these already have other, more popular weapons that ele doesn't have, like greatsword. Pistol fits the duelist theme of the mesmer, and necro already has greatsword, which is cool. None of these 2 would be thematically aesthethic with a longbow or a shortbow, but an ele is, because of the arcane archer archetype and how ice, fire, shock and earth arrows are already familiar with most of the high fantasy fans.

At the end though, pistol might be cool if we finally get a proper, competitive ranged option for ele. The only reason I (and i guess most people) want a longbow on an ele is because we lack any good ranged options, staff has been sitting in the dumpster ever since HoT's meteor shower nerf, and scepter is alright I guess but I kinda see it pseudo-ranged.

Well, to be fair, pistol will be melee as well even if it has 900 range built into it mainly because of the meta of warhorn requiring you to be up close and personal most encounters. But I do agree that staff needs a lot of love for it to be any good now.

• Sad 1

personally i didn't even want a new weapon,

i want a new specialization, The Acolyte.

Acolyte would revisit Staff and basically turn ele into a more typical fantasy mage,

you'd give up the in-combat stance-dancing of GW2 ele to focus on one element,

but you would be much more efficient with that element than standard ele.

for example Acolyte of Fire would let you focus on becoming the ultimate fiery damage dealer, Acolyte of Water would focus on healing, boons and cleansing etc

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5

9 hours ago, Liewec.2896 said:

personally i didn't even want a new weapon,

i want a new specialization, The Acolyte.

Acolyte would revisit Staff and basically turn ele into a more typical fantasy mage,

you'd give up the in-combat stance-dancing of GW2 ele to focus on one element,

but you would be much more efficient with that element than standard ele.

for example Acolyte of Fire would let you focus on becoming the ultimate fiery damage dealer, Acolyte of Water would focus on healing, boons and cleansing etc

Elementalist does need an elite that's designed for ranged combat.

Single-attunement elementalist ain't happening. Too much of elementalist core design relies on attunement swapping. Dual attunement might be possible - possibly based on your traitlines (if you have two element-based traitlines, you get those two attunements and they're buffed, while if you have one and Arcane, you get all four but only one is buffed).

• Like 3