Expanded Weapon Proficiencies: Dual-Wielding Mace Ranger

Rubi Bayer.8493

29 minutes ago, Oahkahmewolf.6210 said:

Just food for thought, How do you think a Soulbeast with a support mace work with healing since it gets 25% healing to others player + all the other % healing to other players.

Like a druid without celestial avatar.

21 hours ago, Dadnir.5038 said:

Like a druid without celestial avatar.

I mean, obviously, but that's not the way to look at it.

Support soulbeast is a niche that people tried out when it got access to staff. Stance sharing, the updated spirits and reworked nature magic traits allow soulbeast to be a bit more of a direct boon support compared to druid in PvP (and by extension small scale WvW). Mace might be good for it. Or it might be worse because you're losing sword mobility and leaps.

In PvE it has only meme value because it can't provide quickness or alac.

Edited by Lazze.9870

10 minutes ago, Lazze.9870 said:

I mean, obviously, but that's not the way to look at it.

Support soulbeast is a niche that people tried out when it got access to staff. Stance sharing, the updated spirits and reworked nature magic traits allow soulbeast to be a bit more of a direct boon support compared to druid in PvP (and by extension small scale WvW). Mace might be good for it. Or it might be worse because you're losing sword mobility and leaps.

In PvE it has only meme value because it can't provide quickness or alac.

I think staff is better when it come to healing and, coincidentally, the post I answer is about healing. Honestly, I believe that the +25% healing to other is fluff outside of a spec that have great access to a variety of healing sources (and soulbeast isn't such a spec).

Now, I agree with you that mace provide an interesting array of sharable defensive boons. And I also agree with you that Alacrity and Quickness are lacking in the array of boons that the soulbeast can offer. But, honnestly, mace only offer prot, vigor and regen with a greater uptime than staff offer prot and regen, I don't think it's significative enough. I might be wrong, still I'm not impressed.

1 hour ago, Dadnir.5038 said:

I think staff is better when it come to healing and, coincidentally, the post I answer is about healing. Honestly, I believe that the +25% healing to other is fluff outside of a spec that have great access to a variety of healing sources (and soulbeast isn't such a spec).

Now, I agree with you that mace provide an interesting array of sharable defensive boons. And I also agree with you that Alacrity and Quickness are lacking in the array of boons that the soulbeast can offer. But, honnestly, mace only offer prot, vigor and regen with a greater uptime than staff offer prot and regen, I don't think it's significative enough. I might be wrong, still I'm not impressed.

Yeah, he asks about healing, but I give him a useful answer. Calling it a druid without celestial avatar doesn't add anything to the conversation, it's just an obvious statement.

It doesn't matter what staff is best at. Soulbeast with access to staff and mace is a boon support primarly with access to some heals, some of them again are bursts. It doesn't have quickness or alac, so it's irrelevant in PvE. It's useable in PvP, but still worse than core guard.

If he wants to meme around as a healer in open world, then yes, it will be able to do that.

Edited by Lazze.9870

1 hour ago, Lazze.9870 said:

Yeah, he asks about healing, but I give him a useful answer. Calling it a druid without celestial avatar doesn't add anything to the conversation, it's just an obvious statement.

It doesn't matter what staff is best at. Soulbeast with access to staff and mace is a boon support primarly with access to some heals, some of them again are bursts. It doesn't have quickness or alac, so it's irrelevant in PvE. It's useable in PvP, but still worse than core guard.

If he wants to meme around as a healer in open world, then yes, it will be able to do that.

In fact, if we talk about competitive modes it's not just Alacrity and Quickness, Stability and Aegis are also needed boons that the Soulbeast will struggle to share.

Maces look more like weapons that are nice for a "tank/bruiser" with a bit of support more than a healer's weapons.

16 minutes ago, Dadnir.5038 said:

Maces look more like weapons that are nice for a "tank/bruiser" with a bit of support more than a healer's weapons.

Looking at it from WvW perspective.

Considering a druid takes full minstrel meta build and uses mace instead of sword that means he can:

Give 1k (1.3k if using NM) AOE heal and 3.2k in Regen (7sec duration) every 8sec.

Perform an AOE blast, a stun (5 targets) and grant protection to allies every 16sec.

If I'll be honest with you that is hell of a fitting weapon for a support than watching your support bounce around with a toothpick around that doesn't do anything to help your group except it running away.

From PvE perspective the healing is almost doubled and the power on the weapon itself is very strong, especially if force of nature procs and now you have increase % damage and % healing to others.

Edited by DarkFlopy.8197

On 1/30/2024 at 4:01 PM, Dadnir.5038 said:

In fact, if we talk about competitive modes it's not just Alacrity and Quickness, Stability and Aegis are also needed boons that the Soulbeast will struggle to share.

Dolyak Stance is a better instant source of shared stab than anything druid has, with the added benefit of the stance effect. It also has earth spirit for aegis and prot, it has resistance from frost + spiritual reprive. All vital boons, and there goes your utility bar.

This is a concept. Soulbeast obviously isn't meta for anything supportive in PvP (or WvW). But the foundation is there and in comparison to druid it is much more boon oriented and generally more sturdy. It is slightly closer to a core guardian.

On 1/30/2024 at 4:01 PM, Dadnir.5038 said:

I mean, now we're just moving the goal post anyway... 

Edited by Lazze.9870

I just want to add my 2cents being a Druid in PvP since HoT dropped, and been with the spec through every patch.

Warhorn is essential because of the Windborne Notes trait. I usually ran this with a mainhand sword for it's mobility, but realized with how squishy support Druid can be it's better to keep my distance from opponents where I can support my allies instead, so I've recently switched to mainhand axe.

I'm not sure I'm keen on getting back into the Melee action with mainhand Mace, but I haven't seen how the skills on mace work. Can it provide boons and healing to allies without needing to hit a target? If I can support my allies without fusing around trying to hit enemies that teleport, invisible spam, CC AOE spam, kite me into DH traps, etc, I will likely run Mace + Warworn or at least give it my best shot.

Edited by Buzzbugs.1236
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, Buzzbugs.1236 said:

I'm not sure I'm keen on getting back into the Melee action with mainhand Mace, but I haven't seen how the skills on mace work. Can it provide boons and healing to allies without needing to hit a target? If I can support my allies without fusing around trying to hit enemies that teleport, invisible spam, CC AOE spam, kite me into DH traps, etc, I will likely run Mace + Warworn or at least give it my best shot.

You can go into the hero pane -> skills -> weapon skills. There you can see the still-unreleased mace skills, and read their tooltips.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...