unfortunately meh rifle

Alpha.1308

projectile rather than spray auto

3 looks fine, "wait here" mechanic of wells are clunky, but two in one skill should (hopium copium) be actually a good thing, competing effects SHOULDDDD mean the lesser of the two receives buffs, in the ideal world that we absolutely do not live in lmao

when will i ever realistically use 5? in pve, pvp, or wvw?

i've never since PoF launch ever seen necro portal really be useful, either, soooo?

at least that skill can be swapped out....  

thought you had to use the portal for buffs like sand swell, lmao, my bad given some of the trash we've been given in the past

not doom and glooming just concerned for jank that has been accustomed to this class over multiple updates and releases

Edited by Alpha.1308
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 12

Rifle 5 grants barrier and Resistance on creation.

The allies don't have to travel with the portal to get the barrier.

The rifle portal is also unique in that it creates a portal without the mesmer needing to move. I can definitely see some situations being useful to help get allies closer to you without you having to go to them.

But the skills even useful without making use of its portal.

This does indeed seem to be a pure support weapon. 

This definitely won't be the ideal weapon for every player.

But I'm excited to bring my Chrono Commando into more Fractals.

Hm... Should I find a way to cosplay my Sylvari as a Chrono Commando from C&C?

• Thanks 2

I'm not quite sure why we would have to choose between healing and boon for the 3 skill.  And if chrono wells have taught us anything, skills that you have to wait for a pay off are really hard to land in any game mode.  Hopefully it inherits from the well skill type at least since that is how it reads.

Went back and looked at the description, if the singularities are going to persist for long durations they could be useful. Basically create a point that will pulse barrier, might, fury, and resistance then detonate only if needed for a burst heal and escape.

I really hope downed characters can use the portal.

Edited by Crey.5263
Re-Read the post.

The portal alone looks like it will make it a meta pick for speed runs of certain things, it will also be an amazing escape for your allies in PvP, the heal looks like a blast finisher as well so some potential use there. Depending on what autos, 2 and 4 do, it could be a really great weapon tbh. having 1 heal and 1 barrier at range already seems super useful to me, especially considering that will be the main thing chrono heal struggles with after november 28 patch.

Edited by Passerbye.6291

We are getting life weaver mechanics boyyyyyyyy I am thrilled!!!! Keep in mind that we also don't have any Info about ranges imagine yoinking targets from 1500?

Barrier application finally! We also have no info about what the aa chain is there is so much to look forward to man I am buzzing!

4 minutes ago, Alpha.1308 said:

is the.... necro portal being used for speed runs?

im not saying the whole weapon is junk, im just sick of looking at wasted potential on stuff in this class

Are we talking sand swell? because one is a utility that also ports you, the other is a weapon skill that you get to shoot and continue what you're doing without losing any extra time, allowing your teammate to join the group back.

Edit: Don't get me wrong, I like to doom and gloom as much as the next guy, but it is astonishing to me that you see 2 skills from a kit, 1 heal, 1 barrier, each doubling as something else as well, and your first reaction is: unimpressed. What sort of miracle did you expect the weapon, of which we don't know 3 of the 5 skills yet, to grace us with? Will aegis and stab on auto attack chain do my good sir?

Edited by Passerbye.6291
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I'm honestly kinda excited for rifle still. It's just that the trailer didn't really show much at all.

I'm very interested inseeing what the clone skill does & what the phantasm will do. Also quite interestend in what the actual basic attack will do since it may matter quite abit considering clones use it too.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, glenndevis.8327 said:

I'm honestly kinda excited for rifle still. It's just that the trailer didn't really show much at all.

I'm very interested inseeing what the clone skill does & what the phantasm will do. Also quite interestend in what the actual basic attack will do since it may matter quite abit considering clones use it too.

I can kinda see the autos and the phantasm acting differently depending on target, kinda like thief scepter, heal/support when an ally is targeted, something else for enemies

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Passerbye.6291 said:

it is astonishing to me that you see 2 skills from a kit, 1 heal, 1 barrier, each doubling as something else as well, and your first reaction is: unimpressed.

because i've seen the espec releases and still watch some of those skills flop around in "constant buff unused limbo"

18 minutes ago, Passerbye.6291 said:

Will aegis and stab on auto attack chain do

literally who said that, i just dont want janky mechanics

and tbf yes, i did say i actually thought you had to use the portal to get the benefits, so sure, one issue averted, huzzah (edited after your post im not blaming you)

Edited by Alpha.1308
  • Confused 4

Idk man, I'm really getting tired of this whole "anet hates us" levels of argumentation in threads, whichever forum you go to, people are complaining that their class is gutted or just bad. Funnily enough those classes almost always have really good picks. I play support classes fairly often and having read through the upcoming changes, rifle looks to be a weapon intended to fill the gaps in mesmer support specs, especially chrono.

Edited by Passerbye.6291
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

19 minutes ago, Gesbo.6420 said:

We are getting life weaver mechanics boyyyyyyyy I am thrilled!!!! Keep in mind that we also don't have any Info about ranges imagine yoinking targets from 1500?

Barrier application finally! We also have no info about what the aa chain is there is so much to look forward to man I am buzzing!

1500 would be expecting a bit much since 1200 is kinda the default for "Ranged". But even so, 1200 ain't bad.

We only got information on two skills though. The autoattack looked awfully slow though and that does me a concern. Damage per minute just doesn't have the same ring as Damage per second. And we still don't know what 2 and 4 are BUT I saw a rifle shoot through a portal and that was cool. That's something very mesmery.

However, it's kinda looking like this gun is pure utilitarian. It doesn't strike, it doesn't condi, far as we know so far, so it'll be more of a pocket knife than a sword. Pull it out when you need it, and then pull out an old weapon the rest of the time.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Passerbye.6291 said:

Idk man, I'm really getting tired of this whole "anet hates us" levels of argumentation in threads, whichever forum you go to, people are complaining that their class is gutted or just bad. Funnily enough those classes almost always have really good picks.

i didnt say "anet hates us" i just dont think they know what they're doing half the time on any spec

me saying sand swell is unused still lends itself to defend necros in this regard

im from gw1 and boiiii i saw that smiters boon lmaooooo

i main supports in everygame and im gonna use rifle because it'll be uncontested in what it does, period (for mesmer obviously)

thats why im hoping for the best on it, and saw alarming issues with the 5 skill (which is mildly put to rest) and was hoping for more melee cleaving support on auto because thats where your team is to begin with, on point in pvp, stacked in pve, or stacked in wvw

Edited by Alpha.1308
  • Confused 4

1 minute ago, Alpha.1308 said:

thats why im hoping for the best on it, and saw alarming issues with the 5 skill (which is mildly put to rest) and was hoping for more melee cleaving support on auto because thats where your team is to begin with, on point in pvp, stacked in pve, or stacked in wvw

Man that'd be hilarious, someone should suggest on reddit that Anet should make mesmer's rifle work as melee and simulate a hammer.
For real though, make it happen please.

54 minutes ago, BatelGeuce.3591 said:

Man that'd be hilarious, someone should suggest on reddit that Anet should make mesmer's rifle work as melee and simulate a hammer.
For real though, make it happen please.

I've been hoping for a Bayonet rifle since they announced... oh well.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, WhoWantsAHug.3186 said:

It would be awesome if they reworked illusion of life to not have any conditional res requirements. Please just make it a standard rezzing tool to fully incorporate a support mesmer spec. 

But then where's the illusion part? I get what you're saying but I'm inclined to leave it the way it is. If you kill something (or just something you tagged dies) you stay up anyway, so it works more often than it fails. The only time it's not really useful is against legendarys since they take so long to go down, so, pick your battles.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, ShadowKatt.6740 said:

But then where's the illusion part? I get what you're saying but I'm inclined to leave it the way it is. If you kill something (or just something you tagged dies) you stay up anyway, so it works more often than it fails. The only time it's not really useful is against legendarys since they take so long to go down, so, pick your battles.

It's complete dog shot in sPvP. I don't think the fluff of the utility name should be any reason to keep it as the absolute worst rez skill in the game 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

8 hours ago, Justine.6351 said:

What was wrong with the main thread.

Because when your sat in with the hypers it gets clogged with spammed "omg shiney" and confuse reacted for saying anything. 

Ignore while it's obvious these weapons are gonna be power crept. We got the most niche weapon to come out so far.. litterally that kit may do great things in coordinated content, but anything uncoordinated it's not gonna be amazing at. 

Unless they completely bust its damage, which is rly unlikely. 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 4