Can't equip elite spec weapon on leveling character with weaponmaster training unlocked [Merged]

I have weapon master training unlocked and new character (necromancer) and I got a greatsword and was using it so I already know they should be able to do it.

Now at 65, I tried to equip the Knight's Ogre Longsword onto it and it just does not wanna allow it. I took off the greatsword I had equipped to it before the latest patch and went to try to reequip that and also could not.

• Like 2

On 11/15/2023 at 11:48 PM, Sleepwalker.1398 said:

It stopped working after Halloween cos i was running a low level ranger with staff in labyrinth and thought it was awesome.

I checked the wiki and saw it mentions character needs to be level 80 now to equip.

So not sure it that was a bug that let us use it on low levels.

It was so cool to be able to use them on fresh characters idk why they'd do this... Now my fun level 55 bag open bank thief that has a fairy wand can't unequip it ever on accident or he will lose it T.T

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have noticed that with my thief - who was only level 19 could no longer wield the rifle, scepter, or staff weapons. I noticed this after I tried to requip him with upgraded ones. I ended up deleting that character and creating a new thief only for it to be the same on that character as well. Is  this a glitch of some kind or is it a bug? I do have weapon master unlocked for my account.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Weaponmaster_Training

The November 7, 2023 game update has removed the ability to use the Weaponmaster Training on characters below level 80.

• Despite the ability to use Weaponmaster Training on characters below level 80 having been removed, the previous warning text about the inability to use these weapons has not been readded to the game.
  • The inability to use Weaponmaster Training on character with a level below 80 only actually means they can't equip those weapons. Any sub-level 80 character that was equipped with one of these weapons prior to the patch mentioned above can still use their associated skills (though they can still not re-equip these weapons if they are ever unequipped).

Edit: Lol, hang the messenger, seem to be still a popular reaction. 🙂

Edited by Dayra.7405
  • Sad 4

1 hour ago, Martzi.7341 said:

it made leveling for veteran player a bit more interesting again.

Do you know a veteran, who is leveling? I swim in Birthday scrolls and Tomes, after the tutorial, I go to the bank and be lvl 80 when I occasionally make a new ton.

Edited by Dayra.7405
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

23 hours ago, Dayra.7405 said:

The November 7, 2023 game update has removed the ability to use the Weaponmaster Training on characters below level 80.

The wiki does say this now but was this ever confirmed as intentional behavior? There's nothing in the patch notes about changes to Weapon Master Training. The game does not imply that you cannot equip them on lower level characters (in fact it suggests you can, it just doesn't work) AND you can still equip them in the PVP lobby (and presumably WVW?) and leave to keep them in the open world. It sounds more likely to me that the bug is that we cannot equip them on lower level characters. Though if deliberate it is very questionable decision making on Anet's part.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

52 minutes ago, Glacial.9516 said:

The wiki does say this now but was this ever confirmed as intentional behavior? There's nothing in the patch notes about changes to Weapon Master Training. The game does not imply that you cannot equip them on lower level characters (in fact it suggests you can, it just doesn't work) AND you can still equip them in the PVP lobby (and presumably WVW?) and leave to keep them in the open world. It sounds more likely to me that the bug is that we cannot equip them on lower level characters. Though if deliberate it is very questionable decision making on Anet's part.

Yeah, wondered about that as well. I searched it without result in the release notes as well, when I made the quote.

if you have the tomes of knowledge or experience scrolls to max out, but still want the genuine process, boost your character to level 80 and then only equip level 0-10 white quality gear from the trading post. most of the damage in the game scales off your weapon and equipment stats, so you'll still have a reasonably difficult time even with all the traits and skills available, and downscaling will mostly take care of the rest.

Edited by SoftFootpaws.9134
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

There's this official article that states a character must be L80 to use the feature:  https://help.guildwars2.com/hc/en-us/articles/19615678458131-Secrets-of-the-Obscure-Weaponmaster-Training

🤷‍♂️

Then the question arises, why did they allow it on low levels?

I thought it was pretty fun to have the weapons available on low levels.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Dayra.7405 said:

Do you know a veteran, who is leveling? I swim in Birthday scrolls and Tomes, after the tutorial, I go to the bank and be lvl 80 when I occasionally make a new ton.

Actually it's fun and refreshing from time to time. Like, I've made Alt accounts a few times to to experience the game like a new player again over the years, normally a bit before an expansion. It's pretty fun (to me at least). Yes, most of the time I just spam tomes when I'm doing a key run or get another character slot, but it's fun not to too sometimes. And having the extra variety added to that with the weapon mastery.

• Like 2

On 12/5/2023 at 10:02 AM, Dayra.7405 said:

Yes, me (among several others).  I have 20 characters at this point and except for three of them, they've all been leveled organically from lvl1.  Playing through the game leveling experience with different weapon combos or builds can be fun all by itself.  I've been playing for a decade now, and things can get pretty stale with just a main lvl 80 or two, but even as recently as this year, I've still found the occasional bit of something interesting I missed on previous toons when I level them through the world organically.

Having the ability of lower-level alts to use the new weapons was one of the biggest additions to the game for me that I had been waiting for, and its loss has sadly diminished my interest in the game again.  Leveling alts organically was one of the few gameplay options I enjoyed passing the time with while waiting months for the next story release.  Killing Sorrow for the umpteenth time got very old very quickly, and having new options available for the lower-level alts was a great addition to the game to keep interest during the slow periods.  And did it really disturb any game balance for having the ability to level an alt from 2-80 with the new weapons?  I can't see it as such.

I was really looking forward to leveling a new Guardian alt with a pistol when the next new weapons were added, but that looks like that won't happen now either.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Yeah, having the ability of lower-level alts to use the new weapons was one of the biggest additions to the game for me that I had been waiting years for, and its loss has sadly diminished my interest in the game again.  Leveling alts organically was one of the few gameplay options I enjoyed passing the time with while waiting months for the next story/content release.  Killing Sorrow for the umpteenth time got very old very quickly, and having new options available for the lower-level alts was a great addition to the game to keep interest during the slow periods.  And did it really disturb any game balance for having the ability to level an alt from 2-80 with the new weapons?  I can't see it as such.

And I was really looking forward to leveling a new Guardian alt with a pistol when the next new weapons were added, but that looks like that won't happen now either.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

• Forum Moderator.3419 changed the title to Can't equip elite spec weapon on leveling character with weaponmaster training unlocked [Merged]
20 minutes ago, SteveMND.1754 said:

Yeah, having the ability of lower-level alts to use the new weapons was one of the biggest additions to the game for me that I had been waiting years for, and its loss has sadly diminished my interest in the game again.  Leveling alts organically was one of the few gameplay options I enjoyed passing the time with while waiting months for the next story/content release.  Killing Sorrow for the umpteenth time got very old very quickly, and having new options available for the lower-level alts was a great addition to the game to keep interest during the slow periods.  And did it really disturb any game balance for having the ability to level an alt from 2-80 with the new weapons?  I can't see it as such.

And I was really looking forward to leveling a new Guardian alt with a pistol when the next new weapons were added, but that looks like that won't happen now either.

If it is that important to your interest in the game, equip the weapon in the PvP lobby. Done. It is an extra step, but minor compared to waiting years for this to happen, yea?

And have we heard ANYTHING from the devs as to whether this is even intended? If it is, they really need to put some indication on the tooltip for weapons you can't use. Because right now there is nothing indicating you would not be able to equip it.

So until someone authoritatively says otherwise, I am treating this as a bug rather than an intended removal of a feature.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Tanek.5983 said:

If it is that important to your interest in the game, equip the weapon in the PvP lobby. Done. It is an extra step, but minor compared to waiting years for this to happen, yea?

Huh, I was not aware of that "trick," thanks.  I had assumed that if you can't equip it in the 'normal' world, you would automatically unequip it once you exited the Lobby. 

As to whether or not it was intended, someone (in the now-merged thread) above said that it was supposed to be limited to level 80 only, due to the Requirement listed here ( https://help.guildwars2.com/hc/en-us/articles/19615678458131-Secrets-of-the-Obscure-Weaponmaster-Training ).  But the way I read that was that you needed to be level 80 to UNLOCK the new weapons for your account (i.e., that's only available as part of a level 80 zone) and not necessarily that the ability to USE the weapons was restricted to level 80 only.

I suppose we'll have to wait and see.  Whether or not being able to use it below 80 is or is not a bug, however, I still feel it should be allowed, as IMHO, it adds something to the game without taking anything away from it.

On 12/5/2023 at 10:21 PM, Sleepwalker.1398 said:

I thought it was pretty fun to have the weapons available on low levels.

On 12/6/2023 at 5:25 AM, Swyft.1378 said:

Was great when leveling a couple characters to just use the weapons I intended to use to get familiar with how they would work.

agreed

• Like 1