Is soto playable as a standalone expansion?

I know it'd suck trying to do instanced pve with no elite specs but I was wondering if it was possible to still do open world content. I researched the skyscale catch up mechanism and it looks fairly time gated. I tried hopping the rocks in skywatch but i got stuck. I have a friend I'd like to introduce to the game but don't want to ask them to buy a ton without testing it out. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Firebeard.1746 said:

I know it'd suck trying to do instanced pve with no elite specs but I was wondering if it was possible to still do open world content. I researched the skyscale catch up mechanism and it looks fairly time gated. I tried hopping the rocks in skywatch but i got stuck. I have a friend I'd like to introduce to the game but don't want to ask them to buy a ton without testing it out. 

Friend of mine started SotO without a skyscale. As far as I remember, after completing the intro-mission, they have got one that only works in SotO maps, because you cannot do anything without it. If I remember correctly, you also get the basic glider unlock when you first enter the Temple of Febe during the intro mission. 

Some classes still have viable core-builds. Difficulty wise, as you ask for open-world specifically, it should be possible. I've heard a rumor that SotO only accounts can currently access all weapons of a class via Weaponmaster training. Which means you can equip e-spec weapons on core builds. But I do not know if they are going to fix that or if it was fixed already. Most of the new players I run into unlock everything before even bothering with the level 1 tutorial. 

Edited by HnRkLnXqZ.1870
  • Like 1

Just let your friend know that it's a work-in-progress, and the SotO story is currently only half finished.

However, the purchase price buys the full expansion (base game included), so the upcoming releases are included in the initial purchase price.

Whether or not story is important to your friend, just make sure that they know what they will be getting for the money.

1 hour ago, HnRkLnXqZ.1870 said:

Friend of mine started SotO without a skyscale. As far as I remember, after completing the intro-mission, they have got one that only works in SotO maps, because you cannot do anything without it. If I remember correctly, you also get the basic glider unlock when you first enter the Temple of Febe during the intro mission. 

Some classes still have viable core-builds. Difficulty wise, as you ask for open-world specifically, it should be possible. I've heard a rumor that SotO only accounts can currently access all weapons of a class via Weaponmaster training. Which means you can equip e-spec weapons on core builds. But I do not know if they are going to fix that or if it was fixed already. Most of the new players I run into unlock everything before even bothering with the level 1 tutorial. 

Dont it fully unlock everywere after you finish the new look collection?

1 hour ago, HnRkLnXqZ.1870 said:

Okay great! I was worried about zone traversal, I guess Anet thought this through. I looked at the achievement for thr full unlock and balked.

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, Firebeard.1746 said:

The story instances wouldn't be a problem, it's only strikes that might require elite specs, and open world can definitely work without elite specs, even in the expansion maps.

The only time gate on the new skyscale collection is getting provisioner tokens, and there are some non-time gated options for getting them. For a new account getting materials to buy the tokens and the other currencies used for the skyscale items is likely to take more than a day anyway. So it's not something you can rush through in one session, but it's also unlikely you'd be held up waiting for a time gate to clear.

And as other people have said you can use a rental skyscale in SotO maps as soon as you get to the story step where you need one (which also introduces you to how they work) so you don't need to finish the collection before going around those maps (which would be impossible because you have to get to all the Bastions in Amnytas),

If you could only ever afford single expansion out of everything in GW2 I would say SotO would be likely the best value for your money. It gives you access to skyscale, which is most convenient/versatile of mounts, you get access to all espec weapons regardless if you own relevant other expacs or not, you get access to all of stuff in wizard's vault. Between legendary starter kits and access to obsydian armor, you also gain access to alot of slots to complete legendary gear for at accessible pace. 

• Like 1