PETITION for thiefs, plz delete axes, add new sword off hand.

whooot.5784

11 hours ago, Doggie.3184 said:

As much as I like Axes as a weapon type if they're not gonna give us a good stationary/non-animation-locking melee weapon, nor give us Dual Axes so we can have an actual complete weapon set and stop getting tortured by Off-hand Pistol flaws, I'd rather just get Off-hand Sword. /Pistol just sucks, is broken (in a bad way) and is boring. Only exists for Breakbars (which can just be improved elsewhere in utilities for Daredevil, plus we got the Staff Buff) and for Dagger/Pistol Stealth in PvP only and for Stealth builds only.

We need an Off-hand for Non-stealth builds. For Main-Hand Sword to be a proper weapon instead if we're not getting a good Power Dual Axe.

I just really wish we got as much development time and effort as other classes, like Elementalist. Excluding Engineer though, they were robbed, lol.

Last time elementalist seems to have really had the development time and effort it needed was Weaver. Neither Catalyst nor pistol have felt particularly inspired. There's a degree to which the sheer number of weapon skills complicates elementalist's development, but elementalist development since Weaver seems to be minimum viable product and a gimmick that is repackaged from something we've seen before.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, draxynnic.3719 said:

Last time elementalist seems to have really had the development time and effort it needed was Weaver. Neither Catalyst nor pistol have felt particularly inspired. There's a degree to which the sheer number of weapon skills complicates elementalist's development, but elementalist development since Weaver seems to be minimum viable product and a gimmick that is repackaged from something we've seen before.

That's pretty much everything nowadays. Recycled animations and just add new-ish partical effects. Thief was just slap pre-existing projectile animations/mechanics onto 2 skills and call it a day.... Didn't even bother designing real dual attacks, you just make a short pose. It doesn't even have an auto attack chain like Necro Swords and Thief Scepter, though at least they made it alternate swing sides: That's the most impressive effort in the whole set to me cuz I'm genuinely surprised they did that.

Edited by Doggie.3184
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

On 11/30/2023 at 11:48 AM, kash.9213 said:

I'd almost vote for Shield just out of curiosity of what that could add to the thief phobia pile in pvp areas. 

Agree. How we haven't leaned heavily into our signature Dual Wield potential is frustrating. Either we're going to need to get those rolled out in sets, or it's going to take forever, or it could go an entirely different route for whatever reason. It will probably depend on what kind of trip Anet is on with combat at the moment. 

blind on block, channeled block xD 0 new dual skill would be Unseen fury, you are unblockable by blinded foes

On 12/1/2023 at 12:55 AM, draxynnic.3719 said:

Then what's the point of this thread at all? My proposal might only have a 5% chance of working, but that's 4.99999999% more likely to work than a thread demanding to scrap a mostly complete weapon and replace it with something entirely new between now and mid-February.

Oh man if you think 5% is the chance you have to convince ANet to scrap already-developed content you're VERY naive.  5% is the chance this thread's title is read lol.

You're better off spending your time either complaining into the void or making suggestions for the next weapon they implement for the next expansion.

And let's face it, ANet's more likely to give something like shield to the thief to be "interesting" before ceding that basics are good to have covered.

Edited by DeceiverX.8361
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2

On 12/2/2023 at 11:49 PM, Doggie.3184 said:

That's pretty much everything nowadays. Recycled animations and just add new-ish partical effects. Thief was just slap pre-existing projectile animations/mechanics onto 2 skills and call it a day.... Didn't even bother designing real dual attacks, you just make a short pose. It doesn't even have an auto attack chain like Necro Swords and Thief Scepter, though at least they made it alternate swing sides: That's the most impressive effort in the whole set to me cuz I'm genuinely surprised they did that.

Eh, from a graphics perspective, recycled animations are to be expected, especially when we've been explicitly told that there are a lot of placeholders.

I was thinking in terms of playstyle. The "bullets" are essentially repackaged hammer orbs, which were themselves a repackaging of Weave Self. Most of the pistol skills are basically "fire a projectile that inflicts a condition". Thief axe, for better or worse, does at least have a unique feel where every skill feels different without having to memorise the tooltip to really understand what makes it different from the next.

15 hours ago, DeceiverX.8361 said:

Oh man if you think 5% is the chance you have to convince ANet to scrap already-developed content you're VERY naive.  5% is the chance this thread's title is read lol.

You're better off spending your time either complaining into the void or making suggestions for the next weapon they implement for the next expansion.

And let's face it, ANet's more likely to give something like shield to the thief to be "interesting" before ceding that basics are good to have covered.

You need to reread my post and the context of what I was responding to, especially if you're going to accuse me of naivety. Hint: My prediction for the chance of ArenaNet scrapping already-developed content is 5%-4.99999999%, and my point through this entire conversation is that the chance is N0BSI and that there is a better chance (even if it might still be small) of influencing the next decision.

• Like 2

I mean, I get the disappointment of the axe being ranged on autoattack (making it boring imo), but I think Thieves should have a main hand + a off hand to actually gives something significant.

Axe Main hand + Sword Off Hand

But that's a lot of work, and doubt the devs love thieves enough to find time for this 😕

• Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 12/2/2023 at 10:33 PM, Charybdizs.7490 said:

Not impressed with axes axe myself. They had the opportunity to make this the BOOMERANG, something which doesn't exist in GW2, and instead it's so milquetoast and jank.

I actually liked the axe in theory (needs changes to work in practice, but yeah) but I would kill for a boomerang thief.