Tower of Nightmares

Wake.7385

It's ridiculous how hard Tower of Nightmares was created to be. I had 3 people working with me, and our entire group had tough mobs shooting at us, the flowers blowing up acting as landmines with an insanely short fuse then quickly respawning, and the targeting slow AOE continuously going off. We continuously fought and died, and I've quit Living World season 1. It has a nice quit moment half way through. It's just ridiculous, and I hope further content doesn't have suck garbage in the middle of it. I refuse to get a carry, but just to say I'm very let down by the lack of quality in this causing me to quit the content.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 2

The Tower of Nightmares was designed with groups of many, MANY more players in mind than just three.

Having it properly scale down to a handful of players has been suggested over and over, back when they re-released it. But they didn't want to do that.

There were even suggestions of giving it a single player / story mode, but those suggestions were met with the usual radio silence as well.

Don't except that to change anytime soon.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Wake.7385 said:

It's ridiculous how hard Tower of Nightmares was created to be. I had 3 people working with me, and our entire group had tough mobs shooting at us, the flowers blowing up acting as landmines with an insanely short fuse then quickly respawning, and the targeting slow AOE continuously going off. We continuously fought and died, and I've quit Living World season 1. It has a nice quit moment half way through. It's just ridiculous, and I hope further content doesn't have suck garbage in the middle of it. I refuse to get a carry, but just to say I'm very let down by the lack of quality in this causing me to quit the content.

LS1 content is a mess in places. Story content is not like this going forward and any group content is clearly marked and separated. Unfortunately they didn’t scale the LS1 content down properly when it was brought back a couple of years ago.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Wake.7385 said:

you don't have to do the tower of nightmares to continue your story, only complete a few events in there. after you exit, the portal to enter the next story mission will be at the camp, so you don't even have to climb to the top of the tower.

if you want to do it "for real" you have to make a group on the lfg because it needs about ten players minimum with good builds. you can do it with less but there's no way you're doing it with three players unless they're hard seasoned veterans, as even if you make it to the final boss, having to deal with both enemies at the same time will probably wreck the group. it was designed to be instanced group content and you need a sizeable group to do it.

there's alot more content like this in the game and they've shifted more and more towards it over time, so its something to get used to.

Edited by SoftFootpaws.9134
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Randulf.7614 said:

LS1 content is a mess in places. Story content is not like this going forward and any group content is clearly marked and separated. Unfortunately they didn’t scale the LS1 content down properly when it was brought back a couple of years ago.

this is only true if you care about the living world story and nothing else. if you want the full story of destiny's edge you have to do dungeons, if you want the story of places like thamanova reactor you have to do fractals, if you want the full story about the bandits, djinn, kryptis, mursaat, white mantle and the underworld you have to do raids. additionally, the dragon response missions are likely difficult for a single, newer player (at the very least, all the pre-events won't be easy to do).

i don't think its a good idea to sell the game as entirely soloable just for story, its an mmo afterall. players need to get used to grouping up.

• Thanks 1

Just now, SoftFootpaws.9134 said:

this is only true if you care about the living world story and nothing else. if you want the full story of destiny's edge you have to do dungeons, if you want the story of places like thamanova reactor you have to do fractals, if you want the full story about the bandits, djinn, kryptis, mursaat, white mantle and the underworld you have to do raids. additionally, the dragon response missions are likely difficult for a single, newer player (at the very least, all the pre-events won't be easy to do).

i don't think its a good idea to sell the game as entirely soloable just for story, its an mmo afterall. players need to get used to grouping up.

To rephrase, I refer to the post ls1 main narrative content, not side stories and world building stories via group content.

But, I also don’t disagree that as this is a co op/multiplayer game, grouping up should be something encouraged. The issue here is that Tower of Nightmares, Marionette, Battle of Lions Arch, are all virtually dead and do not encourage players to join and that makes grouping difficult. They would have been better to scale like Forging Steel which can be done with any number of players - solo included - or give stronger  incentives to run the public instances more often. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, SoftFootpaws.9134 said:

Sadly, the two biggest MMORPGs (WoW and FF14) are becoming more and more solo friendly.

The MSQ dungeons that Square Enix ruined changed to accommodate the NPC AI are really sad sights to behold these days. With the roulette system ensuring all dungeons will stay relevant content, FF14 really doesn't need NPC parties.

And WoW will also feature NPC party members for dungeons in the future, but that's luckily only for the normal difficulty.

9 hours ago, Ashen.2907 said:

Tower of Nightmares is one of my favorite bits of content in the game. A bit challenging, but doable with some build tweaking.

That's your personal experience. Other people won't find the same enjoyment and/or success doing it solo.

Edited by Fueki.4753

1 hour ago, Ashen.2907 said:

I know. That is why I said, "my," not, "your," or, "their."

However, there are people use sentences like your second one I quoted who insinuate that anyone would be able to do it that way, which is simply not true.

Edited by Fueki.4753

I was stumbled into this place solo, and then randomly met up with a few other players doing the content partway in. I found it challenging as a solo player, but not overly difficult. You have to watch where you step, and you need to bring sustain. I haven't had the experience of doing the boss solo yet. I expect I'll return to this after completing some of my other more pressing achievements. I agree that the rewards weren't exciting, but it was much more fun challenging content than most stuff I've bumped into in the open world, while still feeling accessible to a solo player.

• Like 2

On 12/4/2023 at 4:28 AM, Fueki.4753 said:

And WoW will also feature NPC party members for dungeons in the future, but that's luckily only for the normal difficulty.

Worth pointing out that, if you're looking to play WoW completely solo for story, even after these NPCs are added to assist in normal-mode dungeons (optionally, you can still bring friends), you'll be SOL because the raids are still needed for story content, and those will still require a group. Unless you don't mind waiting four years or more and going in to one-shot everything.

10 hours ago, Kiki.9450 said:

Worth pointing out that, if you're looking to play WoW completely solo for story, even after these NPCs are added to assist in normal-mode dungeons (optionally, you can still bring friends), you'll be SOL because the raids are still needed for story content, and those will still require a group. Unless you don't mind waiting four years or more and going in to one-shot everything.

Maybe they are just testing the waters with dungeons (and the Delve companions). Even if it's slim, there is a chance they might use NPCs to fill up LFR wings in the future.

Unless there are mechanics requiring more than half a brain cell, NPCs might even be more useful than some of the people in LFR.

I'm not in favour of that, I'm just pointing out that it might happen.

10 hours ago, Teknomancer.4895 said:

Lots of the stuff in LS1 was originally intended to be big meta events involving maps full of players, so no, a lot of it doesn't scale down particularly well.

The scaling is something they could (and should) have fixed with the re-release.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Like 1