Server Merge

apoko.5246

All after being away for a period of time and when I have returned noticed a lack of players, looking at the total population for GW2 on the internet and states nearly 300,000, now if you divide that up between all the servers you can see why there seems to be a lack of people around, in fact I am suprised that Anet have not already merged some of the servers. So my question is are Anet going to merge servers in the near future? what are your thoughts.

• Like 4
  • Confused 9
  • Sad 1

Servers only matter in WvW. Everywhere else, you're playing with people regardless of server. If you're not seeing many people, you're either on an overflow map, are playing off-peak time for your region (EU or NA), or are on an EoD map.

Also don't trust the player status for GW2 (or really any MMO) on the internet unless it's Steam stats for something that is only available through Steam or directly from the developer. There's no other way to get numbers, it's just estimations and guesses by people who can't access the raw data.

• Like 2

Any numbers you saw online are estimates at best, Anet are the only ones who have access to actual player numbers and they have never made it public, so no one else has any way of knowing for sure.

Also as mentioned servers only matter for WvW and there's already a sort-of server merge function there: servers can be paired up to fight together if the population is low enough. If you look at the WvW menu and see a little + next to a world name that tells you it's linked with another world. Anet are working on an entirely new system where worlds will be based on guilds rather than servers, we're supposed to get a final beta for (the first version of) that system early next year.

I don't know if true for every WvW server/matchup, but many do have periods where during peak times, there are queues to get onto certain WvW maps.  If the number of servers was reduced, that would only get worse.

Aside for Anet already working on a new system, I suspect that any merge they did would either create an over populated server in WvW, or an under populated one (a server paired with no one else).  If you took everyone on that server to be merged and scattered them among the other servers, you'd have a lot of upset people who can no longer play WvW with their friends, so any such merge would have to dump everyone onto one server.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

18 hours ago, apoko.5246 said:

All after being away for a period of time and when I have returned noticed a lack of players, looking at the total population for GW2 on the internet and states nearly 300,000, now if you divide that up between all the servers you can see why there seems to be a lack of people around, in fact I am suprised that Anet have not already merged some of the servers. So my question is are Anet going to merge servers in the near future? what are your thoughts.

Your short answer is this:

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Alliances

New beta for WR starts on Jan 12th and runs thru Feb 2. Blog for it coming after the holidays.

On 12/22/2023 at 7:55 AM, apoko.5246 said:

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Megaserver

OK lets say WVW servers are empty most of the time, yes some servers do get queues over the weekend but I would say that 75% of the time and servers are dead the merge system is acutally shocking and believe me you can see that the amount of people playing has reduced a lot. If the current merge system is going to be used you can merge 3 servers and still have no problem getting onto a map.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

23 hours ago, apoko.5246 said:

OK lets say WVW servers are empty most of the time, yes some servers do get queues over the weekend but I would say that 75% of the time and servers are dead the merge system is acutally shocking and believe me you can see that the amount of people playing has reduced a lot. If the current merge system is going to be used you can merge 3 servers and still have no problem getting onto a map.

That's also part of the reason things are the way they are, ANet doesn't want servers to be so full that players can't get into servers during the most active time (weekend/reset), so they set their wanted sizes based on that. Players tend to get really livid if they can't get into WvW. So if the Linked together more servers than they currently do, then almost an entire server would be stuck in queue's during large parts of the weekend. Might even be small queue's during weekdays.

So ANet has been aiming for linking together servers so that they can hit small queue's during weekends, that seems to be the sweet spot for them.

If you want "full maps all the time", then you'd basically have to ask for EotM system for entire WvW, which is trying that. Basically opening and closing maps, and trying to stuff as many people as it can into one map before it opens another.

• 2 weeks later...

Really anyone actually play WVW the servers are dead majority of the time, only a couple of servers have queues, but sometimes in the week you can have less than 10 ppl on a map that is bloody stupid. As stated even if they merged 3 servers still not enough. The population on WVW has crashed

• Like 1
  • Confused 4

8 hours ago, apoko.5246 said:

Really anyone actually play WVW the servers are dead majority of the time, only a couple of servers have queues, but sometimes in the week you can have less than 10 ppl on a map that is bloody stupid. As stated even if they merged 3 servers still not enough. The population on WVW has crashed

Are you aware of the WR beta that drops next Friday?

11 hours ago, apoko.5246 said:

you say that, but I had to wait 15 minutes for a queue to drop yesterday in order to be able to play,  it was not even prime time yet and all 4 queues were up. 

Maybe you're just on server that was deserted recently due to a guild leaving ? 

14 hours ago, latlat.4516 said:

you say that, but I had to wait 15 minutes for a queue to drop yesterday in order to be able to play,  it was not even prime time yet and all 4 queues were up. 

Maybe you're just on server that was deserted recently due to a guild leaving ? 

what server was it that you had to wait in a queue, as stated only top 2 or maybe 3 servers get a queue at the weekend which yestersday was.

• Confused 1

16 hours ago, apoko.5246 said:

what server was it that you had to wait in a queue, as stated only top 2 or maybe 3 servers get a queue at the weekend which yestersday was

Augury Rock on EU, litteraly a mid tier server

• 3 months later...
Posted (edited)

Tarnished Coast also gets queue locked off prime times.

We're also considered mid tier.

The only time wvw is really ever dead imo is oceanic time slots.
Do we have any kind of estimate when the world restructure will be a public implementation?

Edited by Mufasa.8415

1 hour ago, Mufasa.8415 said:

Tarnished Coast also gets queue locked off prime times.

We're also considered mid tier.

The only time wvw is really ever dead imo is oceanic time slots.
Do we have any kind of estimate when the world restructure will be a public implementation?

Last update was here if you missed it:

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/wvw-world-restructuring-beta-feedback-and-future/