Deadeye rune any good?

Juneau.6095

Hi, i understand every build is different, but I've noticed that rune of the scholar seems to be a staple for most DPS builds.

I'm just curious why the Deadeye rune is not more popular?

If Berserker stat is the best armour for DPS (which has Power as primary, and precision and ferocity as secondary), wouldn't the Deadeye be equally best for runes? And its close to half the cost of scholar.

Thanks

The difference between the superior rune of the scholar and deadeye is in the 6th tier: +125 ferocity (scholar) vs  +125 precision (deadeye)

Afaik ferocity needs precision to be effective. Runes are important, but there are more ways to get these stats up (stats of your gear, sigils, traits, infusions, food, relics?). So while i think both runes are very useful for DPS, it probably all depends of the total package.

Edited by GODh.3892
typo
  • Like 1

Yep, so why is scholar the most popular rune choice in a lot of builds i find online? And the same goes for other similar runes that have either precision or ferocity as the primary stat like rune of the ranger, infiltration, etc.

Shouldn't Deadeye be the most popular given Power is the primary stat, and having precision and ferocity as secondary just like Berserker armour?

5 hours ago, Juneau.6095 said:

Yep, so why is scholar the most popular rune choice in a lot of builds i find online? And the same goes for other similar runes that have either precision or ferocity as the primary stat like rune of the ranger, infiltration, etc.

Shouldn't Deadeye be the most popular given Power is the primary stat, and having precision and ferocity as secondary just like Berserker armour?

You seem to misunderstand WHY something is considered "best in slot". It's not only about which stat is primary but also of how much value does that stat add.

As mentioned by Parasite.5389, precision value post 100% crit drops to 0. Simplified this can be summarized as: power >= precision (until crit capped) > ferocity.

Let's look at some of the runes you mention and consider why they might not be "best in slot":

1. Ranger - precision/ferocity -> doesn't have power, will overcap crit on most builds

2. Infiltration - Power/precision -> will overcap crit on most builds

3. Deadeye - Power/Ferocity/Precision -> if overcapping crit precision becomes useless, otherwise good to cap crit (used on power chrono for example)

4. Scholar - Power/Ferocity -> power primary good, ferocity secondary good if crit capped. Most builds crit cap without their respective runes so this yields the most bang

This is the same for condition duration btw. Expertise behaves similar in that regard and optimized builds will use exactly enough expertise to get their conditions to 100% duration increase in PvE.

Edited by Cyninja.2954
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 12/24/2023 at 7:21 AM, Juneau.6095 said:

The short version is that meta builds specifically count the absolute lowest number needed to get Crit chance cap.  Prec is only "one" source of Crit chance.  And historically the lowest priority, since other sources tend to be additive %, where with Prec its a derivative %.  And you only need 100% Crit chance.   So once you hit the cap, excess precision is basically wasted.  Ferocity on the other hand, while also derivative, doesn't have a cap.  So 400% crit damage is better than 300% crit damage, but 120% crit chance is the same as 100% crit chance.

The main reason Berserkers is meta, is that there aren't enough sources to hit crit chance cap without "some of it" being from precision.  There was a time when Reaper could get 100% crit chance between 2 traits and Fury, and it let you swap out all your gear for Valkyrie's (Pwr/Vit/Fer) for more shroud durability, with no loss of DPS potential.  

Now on top of this, you also have to consider magnitude of a source for stats.  Runes add a significant amount of stats, but not much granular control, since the biggest part of the stat boost is always on the 5th/6th slots.  Theres only two instances I know of where a meta build was mixing runes. And thats mainly due to this rare situation in the earlier days, where Condition Duration was harder to get, and two rune sets had condi duration in 2nd and 4th, and an otherwise useless 6th bonus.   I can't remember which ones specifically anymore.

Anyway.  Scholars also used to have a flat 10% damage bonus in its 6th.  This is what made the rune popular in the first place.  And it stayed there, because its got the highest power and ferocity total out of all the runes.  

My fresh Vindi, on my latest acc, gets to only 53% crit chance with berserker equip +deadeye runes (with fury I get to 103% in pve and 98% in wvw, half of the trinkets aren't ascended versions yet, so that'll be something I will use to adjust precision to reach 100% for wvw). If I was only using scholar it'd be even less.

The 125 precision from the deadeye rune = ~6% crit chance. That rune is way cheaper than the scholar one and is the reason I'll be able to reach 100% crit chance in wvw.

The rune is good. I don't know about other builds but since fury only gives 25%/20% to crit chance (rest comes from specs) I'd think some builds are more dependant on runes with precision than others?

Keep in mind usually players look for 100% crit chance in a squad environment with all the relevant boons, permanent Fury in this case as it gives crit chance %. Fury gives you 25% crit chance baseline (20% in pvp modes), some professions can get more out of fury via traits.

Also many professions give % crit with traits, sometimes in a form of an effect that needs to be maintained. For example Berserker Warrior gets 15% crit chance when in Berserker, which can be maintained 100% of the time in most instance encounters but that might be hard in some other game modes, encounters. Many power dps builds have such modifiers.

So you have to apply this to what content you are playing. Maybe that precision is more valuable than ferocity for your situation. Because if you're not criting all that ferocity has no value.

15 hours ago, Lucy.3728 said:

My fresh Vindi, on my latest acc, gets to only 53% crit chance with berserker equip +deadeye runes (with fury I get to 103% in pve and 98% in wvw, half of the trinkets aren't ascended versions yet, so that'll be something I will use to adjust precision to reach 100% for wvw). If I was only using scholar it'd be even less.

The 125 precision from the deadeye rune = ~6% crit chance. That rune is way cheaper than the scholar one and is the reason I'll be able to reach 100% crit chance in wvw.

The rune is good. I don't know about other builds but since fury only gives 25%/20% to crit chance (rest comes from specs) I'd think some builds are more dependant on runes with precision than others?

it would be better to just take a few assassin's pieces (possibly just the amulet?) than bothering with changing all your runes for wvw, this way you can just double-click an item from your safe bag to swap between pve and wvw loadouts without losing optimal build quality in either of them.

i think its best to only use runes to fill gaps that can't easily be filled otherwise.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, SoftFootpaws.9134 said:

it would be better to just take a few assassin's pieces (possibly just the amulet?) than bothering with changing all your runes for wvw, this way you can just double-click an item from your safe bag to swap between pve and wvw loadouts without losing optimal build quality in either of them.

That's a good idea, but I'm stingy xD
I don't give overpriced runes to a secondary account.

• Confused 1