World Restructuring Beta will run from January 12 to February 2!

7 hours ago, TheGrimm.5624 said:

I admit before New Year Anet had stated they would be back with a blog on the WR with more details. Either they should have written a post or they missed in delivering the blog that was mentioned which is a marketing oops in my book since this would have been an opportunity to share more info on changes they have been making to the algorithms and chances to showcase features.

So part of you confusion is in the 500. 500 was targeted as the number of players across various guilds could link up together as part of an Alliance which was subfeature of the WR project. 500 was used to match up with guild limits. An over all world/server/shard, the thing we currently consider as a sever, is of an unknown size more than that, that was meant to contain these Alliances but in a way that they were not the dominating population. Anet did not share percentages but again stated in prior releases that an Alliance would be part of these worlds and would be layered in first when sorting followed by Guild and players. So by capping Alliances at max Guild size potentials they could use and Alliance of many Guilds to likewise balance out Guilds of various size. Then non-Guilded players could further be used to help balance out numbers once both Allliances and No-Alliance Guilds were factored into the numbers.

Now fast forward to this test. Alliances are currently onhold as they work out issues with the UI and dynamics on how they would be created. Anet looked at what they were trying to do and then considered the fact that an Alliance looked a lot like what some community guilds were already doing by creating a server wide Guild to group like minded players together so they said why not just and handle it that way for now. The sorting logic was already adding up numbers from Guilds in a fashion that was also used by An Alliance minus the coding they were getting tied up in with the Guild linking an user interface. 500 was an Alliance max and a prior Guild max so when they talk about people linking up they are also using this in the idea of form up a community Guild to group with people that you might already see on a regular basis.

So now lets go back and picture what you are facing. What will happen is that when sorting occurs your Guild will be ranked with other Guilds of similar players, play hours (hopefully time of play) and Guilds will be distributed out to new servers first based on similar numbers. Picture a round robin system, everyone get one that is x, now everyone gets a y, everyone gets a z and so fourth as the system tries to balance out distributions. Once Guilds are all placed out in new groups(server/shards/worlds) now non-associated players are then layered in to help balance those groups out and better balance them.

Now you mentioned non-active players. Anet should have been collecting (this is not shared information so some assumptions here) information on players, and various attributes that they have determined will be used to determine numbers for individual players. As an example, take a simple Guild of 5 players. Each player will have their own numbers but those individuals will roll up their numbers to form a Guild's definition so that it can stacked up to other guilds when that round robin process occurs. So a 5 player guild would be ranked against other 5 player guilds based on their number of 5 players plus other attributed like this 5 player guild plays 20 hours a week and this one plays 40 hours a week to further sort them out. So if a Guild has non-active numbers that should also be accounted for with some margin for potential play or average play time already factored in. This Guild has 40 players but 35 of them play only 1 hour a week so weigh them out with that in mind.

One of the potential additional reasons that they had been adding in a Bonus event when these run is to gather info on the potential play time factors for their background numbers on players and to use for their potential factors. The other reason I could see why people needed to select their WvW prior to reset is to use that time to start the sorts before reset triggers since this wouldn't be an on the fly number crunch but would need to be done before the match sorting starts. So more than likely background numbers have been/are being crunched now to do this round robin before reset happens. Players that missed the Guild selection deadline have in the past questioned why they couldn't just selected their Guild right before reset so wanted to cover that, though it was not part of your question.

Might have been overstated but I hope that helps in some of your questions.

Thank you for this. What I'm getting from your and other people's answers is that, they're trying to give themselves the ability to move things around better for population balance purposes.

Honestly, part of my actual confusion is less on the process, but rather how all this can actually be conducive for building communities (though your explanation definitely helps regardless). We have communities now, due to the server system, not merely the guild system. Nixing the server system obviously fragments these communities. To use my server as an example: we have a number of guilds that are mainly on the medium-large size. For various reasons, we're not able to make a server wide guild. So during this beta, I may see some of my server mates, but won't be able to play with 75% of them. And if this is how it's going to work in WvW when they finally release WR fully, then this obviously spells out negatively for those of us who actually wanted to stick together but couldn't.

The other part of my confusion is whether or not teams (or the alliance of guilds) continue to get reshuffled whenever that "redistribution" phase happens. I don't think that was answered by your post (if you did, I'm sorry that I'm missing it). To elaborate: If we fast forward to when WR is fully implemented, and my guild gets placed in a team wherein we're working well together. With the current iteration of WR, does it mean that when redistribution happens, my guild will be taken from that team to form a new one again? And if that's the case, how is this conducive for forming long lasting communities, when guilds are the only source of consistency while the overall team composition is random each time?

Edit: I just read another user's response that teams themselves should stay intact. Feel free to add other info on it though if you're feeling like it. Much appreciated to you folks giving extra information.

Edited by meerfunkuhtron.9725

2 hours ago, medusa.3091 said:

so no I didn't get a chance to pick where I wanted to be, if I had I wouldn't have known what to choose anyway before speaking to the guild.

don't worry too much, even if you selected your guild as a wvw guild it wouldn't have made a difference. I did, and ended up in the wrong place. It happened to some of us, if I have to make a guess I'd say around 10% ended up in the wrong place despite having selected the guild.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, joku kaks kol kaks.7495 said:

thanks a lot Anet 

we put community guild up week before reset and all had it set as WvW guild before Wednesday and still we got all over 15 servers for this beta

I thought that it was fixed after second beta

Let's send it live, immediately, so we don't talk about it anymore.🤭

• Like 1

On 1/3/2024 at 1:58 PM, Rubi Bayer.8493 said:

As with previous World Restructuring betas, if you would like to be on the same team as your guild, you will need to set that guild as your “WvW Guild” via the Guild Panel. You’ll need to do this by 11:59 PST on Thursday, January 11th for the start of the beta.

I have feedback already, not a single beta have I been on the same team as my guild even with selecting the correct guild WELL BEFORE THE DEADLINE. submit support tickets every time and get told they can't fix it. So this alliance restructuring that I have yet to actually be able to participate in and have yet to be able to be with my guild for is a complete waste of time. Do you have the ability to fix incorrect team assignments this time? I would certainly hope so...

Man I honestly hate this World Restructuring WvW thing. I have fun playing from time to time on Blackgate with my guild and that's that fun battles and a guarantee of sure excitement when I join WvW. Everytime we have this World Restructuring dynamics the battles are not that different from usual server WvW and the excitement dwindles after the novelty wears out. This time around I got unlucky and even after selecting the correct guild it shows Pending WvW and I'm sorted on a team without my guild which means no GW2 for me until this issue is sorted and from what I've seen in the comments, it won't, as they can't seem to fix it. Can we please be done with this World Restructuring?

• Like 1

This is miserable.

I know the game isn't designed explicitly for me or how I play it....   Nor do I expect it to be.

And I guess I don't play consistently enough to have even been aware of what the alliance pairing meant.  (Certainly terribly limited information presented to players who just log in and go about their business).

But I am not part of any consistent guild.   My buddy isn't part of any consistent guild.   We join up together and roam, occasionally joining the zerg.

Originally we were on different servers and explicitly spent money to make sure we could WvW together.   Now without any real warning...  (guess it sucks I don't keep up on game news outside of the game) we are prevented from playing together for 2 weeks?

Is there any fix to this?  Or ability to reassign my battle group so I can play with my friend as we originally intended...? The entire reason we came back to GW2 in the first place

I get that this is 'Guild' Wars...   But does the new system seriously entirely abandon solo/casual players?

Honestly is a situation where I don't see myself logging in for the next two weeks if we are forced to play in different instances.

• Like 5

Kept getting an error at reset, and couldn't get the screen to load for me. Finally got the screen then there was 66 in queue.......Waited for 1.5hr to get in and it finally popped up.... yay!!!  Nope put me back in the queue, time for another 1.5hr wait

• Sad 1

Beta Week  - Fail

Wrong Teams - such a waste of time and effort working with folks in my guild to work out running together and only a handful actually got paired with the guild.  The rest are completely random, we cannot find in connection at all with what server because none are with or against each other.

I consider this week out of all weeks a failure for teams and guilds.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ZerFrost.3542 said:

4 weeks of this bshit. Well time to play my backlog of games. Why post a message like this on forums instead of the general bootup screen where I could be lik ehey look a message about wvw.

I couldn't agree more.

7 hours ago, Chaba.5410 said:

Sounds like you finally found a reason to.

Check it out.  They even added a new Events section to this forum:
https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/events/

my point being, not everyone looks at the forum before logging into the game, and I feel strongly that there should have been some in-game prompts especially on entering wvw, such as prompting you to set your wvw guild, the deadline date for doing so, and maybe directing you to the web page where there is more info. But it still seems that guilds have been split up even after players have set their wvw guild. And there are now a lot of angry players who can no longer play together and this whole thing is looking to be an epic fail.

• Like 2

How does each WvW alliance beta get progressively worse?

Alliances have been in "Beta" state for over 2 years now and there has been zero visible progress from the first beta to today. I'm on an alliance where we are outnumbered across three of the four maps, and both War Score and K/D are more than 35% behind both other alliances. How is this more balanced in comparison to what we have already?

• Like 1