Request: (Hopefully) easily fixable accessibility issue for colour blind players

I have a type of colour-blindness that makes the  colours for squad chat and say chat indistinguishable from one another. Thus I never can tell if a message was typed in say or squad chat (unless I can deduct it from the context).

I use the option to show channel tagss in addition to colours to distinguish between chats - unfortunately this does not help, because both chats have the same letter as their tag i.e. "[S]".

My request: Would it be possilbe to change the channel tag letters of one of the chats, like e.g. have squad chat be "[Sq]" or maybe "[q]" (in accordance with "/q" for the chat code to switch to squad chat)? => EDIT: Sorry for the confusion - the chat code for squad chat is actually /d, so I guess [d] would be a more appropriate tag 🙃

Additionally it could also help to change one of the colours, so they are no longer so similar, but that I consider the letter change the more important and also safer option, as it will help everyone regarding of their type of colour blindness, while changing the colour might make it better for me but worse for other people.

In an ideal world, there would be settings to customize this, but I can imagine that would be a lot of effort to implement. But changing one of the letters should (hopefully) be relatively easy to do...? 🤓

Edited by humfrid.2615
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 4

I'm not colour blind, but I agree that there shouldn't be two channels with the same tag, that's just asking for confusion.

I'd vote for changing squad chat to [q] because having it match the chat command to switch would make it easier to remember.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Yes, please. While we're at it: allow us to customize the colours of the different message types. I'm not even colourblind but this is a no brainer accessibility feature.

You're already defining a value somewhere for the colour of the text, just expose the value definition to the users. Avoid the need for input sanitisation by making us select colours from predefined choices or something. Everyone will appreciate this (and OPs) feature.

A tiny gesture toward the road to actual accessibility improvements!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Same. What I ended up having to do for Say and Squad is put them on separate chat tabs. I would much prefer being able to distinguish them with a different tag rather than both being [S].

Colorblind design in general seems to be something that fell off the ANet radar. I remember there was a point in the early years of the game that it was mentioned and a few things were done that helped. For intance, having the attack areas be filled circles rather than faint red outlines was an amazing improvement.

Now, we are back to design that requires me to jump through many hoops just to deal with what is on the screen. The redesigned world boss battles in Queensdale and Caledon are a colorblind nightmare.

Edited by Tanek.5983
  • Like 4

20 hours ago, Mistwraithe.3106 said:

Excellent suggestion. I think there is actually a thread to add suggestions to, you should perhaps add it there?

thank you for the suggestion thread suggestion 🙂 I'll see if I can find that!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Shuzuru.3651 said:

I disagree, instead they should simply rename the Say [S] channel to Local [L]

The result would be the same, would convey better the meaning of the Say channel, keep the channel letters to one and /local already exist for the Say channel

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Chat_panel

As long as each channel gets a unique tag, I'd a happy chatter, no matter the letter 🙂

• Like 1

Have you tried just seeing better? Get gud.

I kid, I kid, hell I can barely see what I'm doing half the time and I can barely read the chat as is (retinal detatchment in one eye, severe astigmatism in the other). I would kill just to be able to make the text bigger. Unfortunately though, I think you're probably SoL on this one. WvW has been begging for years for colorblind options given that the most common form of color blindness is Red/Green colorblindness.....and the three factions in WvW are Blue, Red, and Green. Anet has already shown pretty definitively that they are NOT interested in making the game more accessable.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, ShadowKatt.6740 said:

Have you tried just seeing better? Get gud.

I kid, I kid, hell I can barely see what I'm doing half the time and I can barely read the chat as is (retinal detatchment in one eye, severe astigmatism in the other). I would kill just to be able to make the text bigger. Unfortunately though, I think you're probably SoL on this one. WvW has been begging for years for colorblind options given that the most common form of color blindness is Red/Green colorblindness.....and the three factions in WvW are Blue, Red, and Green. Anet has already shown pretty definitively that they are NOT interested in making the game more accessable.

Just FIY, disregard if you already know this, you can adjust text size via the little gear icon in the top left corner of the chat window. Small, medium, and large (though 'large' certainly isn't going to be large enough for many).

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Firefly.5982 said:

Just FIY, disregard if you already know this, you can adjust text size via the little gear icon in the top left corner of the chat window. Small, medium, and large (though 'large' certainly isn't going to be large enough for many).

You're totally right. One day I went to change it because I knew it was there, and on a particularly bad day (Yes, there are better and worse days even with vision), I went to see if I could turn it up....and it's already up all the way. Which is just kinda terrifying. Small must be absolutely microscopic.

• Like 1

Just now, ShadowKatt.6740 said:

You're totally right. One day I went to change it because I knew it was there, and on a particularly bad day (Yes, there are better and worse days even with vision), I went to see if I could turn it up....and it's already up all the way. Which is just kinda terrifying. Small must be absolutely microscopic.

Ah kitten. Sorry. GW2 accessibility is abyssmal, yet so many if these changes would be so easy to implement for them, given the system is ALREADY in place...just add an even larger text option? How hard would that be? Easy if they cared enough 😞

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Firefly.5982 said:

Ah kitten. Sorry. GW2 accessibility is abyssmal, yet so many if these changes would be so easy to implement for them, given the system is ALREADY in place...just add an even larger text option? How hard would that be? Easy if they cared enough 😞

I poked at that option just now for funsies/curiosity and... the size change is hardly noticeable to me. Like, yes, it changes, but I can't imagine how this helps people who need actual large font.

• Like 2