Anyone else notice PvP now has a downstate invun?? [Merged]

43 minutes ago, Vegeta.2563 said:

I mean maybe, but maybe the downstate invuln was supposed to be there the whole time?  We will never know.

I know at one point invulnerability was intentionally removed from downstate. I just can't remember the year or patch date of when it happened.

It was the same patch that also allowed conditions from downstate to carry over to when you were revived.

Hey everyone,

I know there was a topic earlier but it is getting buried without getting enough attention. As many of you have probably noticed by now since the last patch downstate has invulnerability for about 1 second. I don't think this was intended. I am saying that it wasn't because of 2 reasons. 
1- It was not mentioned in the patch notes
2- I'm not entirely sure since I only saw it 2 times but when you mist form as ele when downed, you become invulnerable for an extra second after the mist form ends.
I think this unintended change affects the game very negatively. It also gives a extra second to supports for revival skills.

This is my first time opening a topic, do devs read forums? Hopefully this will get addressed soon but I fear it won't since pvp is pretty much forsaken.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Remus Darkblight.1673 said:

It does make you wonder just how bad some of the back-end coding has become over the years, where changes to seemingly unrelated things somehow reinstate the downstate invulnerability in PvP, something you kind of expect to be called once based on game mode.

Some of the systems devs are long gone from Anet so this is bound to happen (we don't know how good the internal documentation is but lack of clarity can certainly play a role too). In fact GW2's engine is already built upon the first game's code so we easily have nearly 20 years of legacy code to contend with - it's a miracle only a few areas and not the entire core map became a swimming pool when SotO released!

• Forum Moderator.3419 changed the title to Anyone else notice PvP now has a downstate invun?? [Merged]
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/2/2024 at 2:03 AM, Remus Darkblight.1673 said:

It does make you wonder just how bad some of the back-end coding has become over the years, where changes to seemingly unrelated things somehow reinstate the downstate invulnerability in PvP, something you kind of expect to be called once based on game mode.

Actually, the Guild hall update in the same patch, changed something you expect to be called once based on game mode, into something that can be applied to each player independently of game mode. The entire skill balance configuration has now become dynamic and updatable on a per player basis. I imagine that the triggering and duration of the downstate invulnerability is closely related to skill and game mode balance, so the fact that the potentially broke a bunch of game mode balance assumptions to get the guild hall working, makes you wonder how much the code got chewed up to implement. If the only side effect was a single oversight on downstate invulnerability duration, then I'd say that was a job well done. Although I don't know what the value of being able to set different balance modes on individual players are. We only see that in guild halls for now I guess.

With how coding is often done, if you assume something doesn't change, you will code it knowing that it doesn't change. To convert it into something that DOES change, you probably have to re-work a lot of it. So adding individual game mode balance to players in a guild hall, seems like a low impact, but high risk change. I hope it is can at least be appreciated, on an academic level, that this update contains a potentially large reorganization of 'bad' back-end code, even if it's impact on your play is very low. Perhaps the true value of this code update is in streamlining the iteration of balance decision for the balance team. The guild hall updates was just a nice addition  that some people can enjoy.

I do wonder now, with it fixed and all. Does the way your downstate work, reflect your game mode you set on yourself in the guild hall?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 2/10/2024 at 6:36 PM, PseudoNewb.5468 said:

Actually, the Guild hall update in the same patch, changed something you expect to be called once based on game mode, into something that can be applied to each player independently of game mode. The entire skill balance configuration has now become dynamic and updatable on a per player basis. I imagine that the triggering and duration of the downstate invulnerability is closely related to skill and game mode balance, so the fact that the potentially broke a bunch of game mode balance assumptions to get the guild hall working, makes you wonder how much the code got chewed up to implement. If the only side effect was a single oversight on downstate invulnerability duration, then I'd say that was a job well done. Although I don't know what the value of being able to set different balance modes on individual players are. We only see that in guild halls for now I guess.

With how coding is often done, if you assume something doesn't change, you will code it knowing that it doesn't change. To convert it into something that DOES change, you probably have to re-work a lot of it. So adding individual game mode balance to players in a guild hall, seems like a low impact, but high risk change. I hope it is can at least be appreciated, on an academic level, that this update contains a potentially large reorganization of 'bad' back-end code, even if it's impact on your play is very low. Perhaps the true value of this code update is in streamlining the iteration of balance decision for the balance team. The guild hall updates was just a nice addition  that some people can enjoy.

I do wonder now, with it fixed and all. Does the way your downstate work, reflect your game mode you set on yourself in the guild hall?

I guess you may be right there, maybe it was called based on game mode before but has been reworked on a per player basis, (presumably because changing a ruleset used to be per map instance and is now dynamic?). Just a guess, without seeing the code I suppose we'll never know. My guess would be that something had to be copy/pasted somewhere, and someone forgot the no-invulnerable downstate flag on what they were using?

Stands to reason though, coding for GW2 must be an absolute nightmare considering the age of the engine, and lack of access to original documentation. I'd love to see if there are some funny hacky comments left in the code by pas developers 😂 "//seems to work, don't know why, good luck fixing this if you break it".

• Confused 1

On 2/10/2024 at 7:36 PM, PseudoNewb.5468 said:

Actually, the Guild hall update in the same patch, changed something you expect to be called once based on game mode, into something that can be applied to each player independently of game mode. The entire skill balance configuration has now become dynamic and updatable on a per player basis

Oh, that's the kind of comment that I love. GG man.