Please take profession diversity out of the matchmaking algorithm.

If you've played PvP for enough time, you should know that the ranked matchmaking algorithm seems to heavily promote profession diversity when creating matches. For example, if there are exactly 2 necromancers placed in the same match, they will always automatically be put on opposing teams, regardless of how their skill rating factors in.

It is long overdue for this to be removed from the algorithm. It makes no sense to include it because people can and do swap professions while waiting for the game to begin anyway. In fact, it only promotes cheesing the system, as is the case when a duo team queues up on non-meta professions so that the enemy team will have these weak professions, only for the duo to swap to meta professions.

To create fair matches, skill rating is THE most important factor, followed by amount of duo queues per team... But for some reason, the algorithm seems to promote profession diversity above all else, which can negatively affect the quality of matches.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 8
  • Confused 1

it’s also too easy to see the matches you’re supposed to lose based on what professions the other team has. Right now if I see a dh and a druid on the same team, I know we’re supposed to lose that match. It’s like dh, druid, ele, scourge, thief. Meanwhile my team is out here with a rev, berserker, catalyst, mesmer, and mech. Come on anet, you gotta do better.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Deadmoose.6594 said:

easy to see the matches you’re supposed to lose based on what professions the other team has

Amen brother - Just here incase anyone says its not true that you can tell when the match maker wants you to loose. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Deadmoose.6594 said:

it’s also too easy to see the matches you’re supposed to lose based on what professions the other team has. Right now if I see a dh and a druid on the same team, I know we’re supposed to lose that match. It’s like dh, druid, ele, scourge, thief. Meanwhile my team is out here with a rev, berserker, catalyst, mesmer, and mech. Come on anet, you gotta do better.

rev can counter these 3/stalemate druid or get them down in teamfight

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Deadmoose.6594 said:

It’s like dh, druid, ele, scourge, thief. Meanwhile my team is out here with a rev, berserker, catalyst, mesmer, and mech. Come on anet, you gotta do better.

It should not be this way, because matchmaking not only promotes team diversity, but also profession matching. I tend to not see this random compositions among the two teams.

Argument is completely moot if we are still allowed to switch specs at the start.

I know dead thread already.  Me bored me post.

On 2/6/2024 at 10:27 PM, jdawgie.1835 said:

Amen brother - Just here incase anyone says its not true that you can tell when the match maker wants you to loose. 

Pls explain? I've never seen the match maker want me to lose comp wise. I've just seen bad comps with ppl that won't switch specs and me throwing. 

• Like 1

yup, it happen to me more than once being matched against a legendary player while i was gold 2 just cuz I was the only dude Qing with the same class as him

their mmk algorithm needed to be looked at, another really big issue is how it matches ppl 300 rating apart very fast. It should take at least double the time it's now.

• Like 2

Matchmaking should ONLY take into account 4 THINGS:

1. The individual player’s number of games played

2. The number of games played on their current class

3. Their recent (#months) win/loss ratio

4. sPvP rank (if applicable)

Since these 4 categories are already tracked numerically in-game, it should be simple enough to just weight each category and balance teams accordingly.

P.S. I understand that this could still be worked around by the usage of alt accounts, but outside of IP tracking, there no matchmaking system that could account for this. 

ALIEN

Edited by N A T E.3108
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 2/8/2024 at 7:16 PM, N A T E.3108 said:

Matchmaking should ONLY take into account 4 THINGS:

1. The individual player’s number of games played

2. The number of games played on their current class

3. Their recent (#months) win/loss ratio

4. sPvP rank (if applicable)

Since these 4 categories are already tracked numerically in-game, it should be simple enough to just weight each category and balance teams accordingly.

P.S. I understand that this could still be worked around by the usage of alt accounts, but outside of IP tracking, there no matchmaking system that could account for this. 

ALIEN

Get real, kid.

I'm jacked. I only want to be matched with people who wear the freshest clothes, eat at the chillest restaurants, and hang out with the hottest dudes. Y'all are pathetic with this rank and class bs, lol.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, bethekey.8314 said:

Get real, kid.

I'm jacked. I only want to be matched with people who wear the freshest clothes, eat at the chillest restaurants, and hang out with the hottest dudes. Y'all are pathetic with this rank and class bs, lol.

Matchmaker should take into account how good the char's fit is (rarity of dyes uses, quality of armor, number of dye channels, number of colors used, armor set matches, whether they are wearing an outfit)

Just for a mini season. Anet pls

Edited by Azure The Heartless.3261

1 hour ago, Azure The Heartless.3261 said:

Matchmaker should take into account how good the char's fit is (rarity of dyes uses, quality of armor, number of dye channels, number of colors used, armor set matches, whether they are wearing an outfit)

Just for a mini season. Anet pls

I hope not, I'd get matched with PvE only players 99% of the time 😶

Bad idea. Whenever professions /role start stacking games become worst (multiple willbender rarely lose while multiple duelists can end up being stuck in spawn because they lose every teamfight). There is only an ultra micro niche part of the population doing that. Locking professions would be the best alternative. It solves this issue without making team composition feel worst but that’s also making the game less fun for most players to address an "issue" from way less than 0.1% of the people playing.

Edited by aymnad.9023

On 2/6/2024 at 9:27 PM, jdawgie.1835 said:

Nay! I tell you this is but the dark thoughts of a non-warrior infesting your mind. It matters not if the enemy team has been hand selected by the great warrior himself, if you call yourself a true warrior you will pick up your sword and rip apart this mantle of subjugation that hath been placed upon thee. Do not let such esoteric beings determine your fate. Reach out, with your meaty, being forearms, grab hold of destiny, and bend it over your knee like the beach that it is! You are the one who writes the script! You are the one who determines what shall be won and what shall be lost! Let no one take away from you your own volition, fight with tooth and nail, to the last beat of your heart and drop of your blood until you have overturned the tyrannical oppressions of the slur we call fate, or have laid yourself bare and died living by your ideals! Now, my brother in war, take up your sword! Take up your sword and fight! The troops stand on the field ready for slaughter. It matters not whom they may be, friend or foe, Warrior or a lesser profession, your body hath been honed into a blade that shall cut down all who stand before thee with lethal precision. Do not let some numbers in the background of reality dissuade thine passion and fury! Rise up and strike until the numbers themselves yield and submit to thine bloody assault! 

They just need to cap elo, and duo ques are based on the highest players rating only. Almost everything gets fixed then.. apart from the top 5% who will throw a tantrum becuase they will have to actually compete for real titles.

Placement games,  take the players previous season rating, and give them placement games with players at that levelthere, it isn't perfect, but better than current bs. If no previous, then start from bronze. If they win 10 games in a row at bronze, not hard to start giving bonus points per consecutive win, so they get upto there real elo quicker, to stop newb farming (duos would climb fast).

Elo caps will make the game so much more fun. Certain specs will top out around silver/gold, but be around other specs/skill levels where they can still work. Fotm specs, skill permitting, will go plat, and we don't have to deal with anymore off peak sweaty scrappers/duos. It would also make support so much more playable with equal level dps on both teams.. and then more supports get to plat. The plat population would actually increase over time, although wait times would always be longer. Thats worth it, becuase the gold/silver experiance, which is 90% of the playerbase, would be far better experaince, which is better for the game over all. Shitting on 90% of the playerbase is a good way to kill a playerbase.

Edited by Flowki.7194

On 2/10/2024 at 5:14 PM, oscuro.9720 said:

Nay! I tell you this is but the dark thoughts of a non-warrior infesting your mind. It matters not if the enemy team has been hand selected by the great warrior himself, if you call yourself a true warrior you will pick up your sword and rip apart this mantle of subjugation that hath been placed upon thee. Do not let such esoteric beings determine your fate. Reach out, with your meaty, being forearms, grab hold of destiny, and bend it over your knee like the beach that it is! You are the one who writes the script! You are the one who determines what shall be won and what shall be lost! Let no one take away from you your own volition, fight with tooth and nail, to the last beat of your heart and drop of your blood until you have overturned the tyrannical oppressions of the slur we call fate, or have laid yourself bare and died living by your ideals! Now, my brother in war, take up your sword! Take up your sword and fight! The troops stand on the field ready for slaughter. It matters not whom they may be, friend or foe, Warrior or a lesser profession, your body hath been honed into a blade that shall cut down all who stand before thee with lethal precision. Do not let some numbers in the background of reality dissuade thine passion and fury! Rise up and strike until the numbers themselves yield and submit to thine bloody assault! 

When guild mates troll your posts 🤣My brother said "meaty forearms"

• Like 1