Can we please change the raid markers from shapes to letters or numbers?

It'd be way more intuitive for things that require going to places in a particular order, such as when you're tanking Xera. Moving from A to B to C or 1 to 2 to 3 is inherently way easier to remember than going from Arrow to Circle to Square. It's also way faster to type out a single number or letter when calling out mechanics, like for jumpers on Sabetha. What would you rather type in the heat of battle, "1/3 go Arrow" or "1/3 go A"? Please consider this, it would be a massive QoL improvement for raiders.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

Mmh, I like the current markers, as design, but you have a point. It would be faster with just letters and also less confusing when you explain things in training runs, since sometimes you name the markers by their colour, and sometimes by their shape (like in Vale "go to red" that could be confusing if you didn't use the heart for the red guardian. I mean, comm's fault in that case, but still, i'ts an extra thing to consider).

Edited by Urud.4925

9 hours ago, Urud.4925 said:

Mmh, I like the current markers, as design, but you have a point. It would be faster with just letters and also less confusing when you explain things in training runs, since sometimes you name the markers by their colour, and sometimes by their shape (like in Vale "go to red" that could be confusing if you didn't use the heart for the red guardian. I mean, comm's fault in that case, but still, i'ts an extra thing to consider).

I even had to train myself to call out just the shapes instead of colors in raid trainings because I had so many color blind raiders.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, HeliosMagi.9867 said:

It'd be way more intuitive for things that require going to places in a particular order, such as when you're tanking Xera. Moving from A to B to C or 1 to 2 to 3 is inherently way easier to remember than going from Arrow to Circle to Square. It's also way faster to type out a single number or letter when calling out mechanics, like for jumpers on Sabetha. What would you rather type in the heat of battle, "1/3 go Arrow" or "1/3 go A"? Please consider this, it would be a massive QoL improvement for raiders.

Solid points.

As a workaround in the meantime:

Use the first letter of the symbol as its shorthand: Arrow = A, Circle = C, Square = S... 

• Confused 6

16 hours ago, Ashen.2907 said:

Solid points.

As a workaround in the meantime:

Use the first letter of the symbol as its shorthand: Arrow = A, Circle = C, Square = S... 

Square = S

Spiral = S

Star = S

...oh wait 😉

But seriously, not a bad idea, OP. I've personally never had issues with just using/understanding the shapes, but the numbers suggestion would definitely be more clear.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Guff Bunkum.5728 said:

Square = S

Spiral = S

Star = S

...oh wait 😉

But seriously, not a bad idea, OP. I've personally never had issues with just using/understanding the shapes, but the numbers suggestion would definitely be more clear.

square = S

Spiral = @

Star = *

As I said,  a work around until a better option comes along, not an alternative to the OP's suggestion. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

42 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Numbers and letters as markers sound like a good idea, can be as additional ones and not substitutes for symbols too.

This is the acceptable answer.

Don't remove, just add to the system.

Also, when a squad marker is placed on an entity allow players to take that target no different than taking a personal target.

7 hours ago, Ashen.2907 said:

square = S

Spiral = @

Star = *

As I said,  a work around until a better option comes along, not an alternative to the OP's suggestion. 

Nah, I get that, I was just taking the kitten. 

For the record, I don't think yours is a bad idea either. It's not something I would prefer or use if it was an option, but it's not a bad idea

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Guff Bunkum.5728 said:

Nah, I get that, I was just taking the kitten. 

For the record, I don't think yours is a bad idea either. It's not something I would prefer or use if it was an option, but it's not a bad idea

All good. I just didnt want my suggestion to come off as a counter to the OP's request. He makes valid points and I would prefer number markers myself. 

• Confused 2

Signs that forum moderators don't play the game: putting this topic into instanced content sub while it affects the whole game (like OW PvE and WvW aswell) 😆

On topic: I wouldn't mind having more marker options to chose from.