NECRO GREATSWORD NEEDS OVERHAUL

Sinister.5792

I like GS hit hard but the issue is its very slow, I now avoid running reaper and switch to necro minion mancer using staff when running pvp, I still run pve content and wvw when Power Repear with GS though.

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

On 2/20/2024 at 9:25 AM, KrHome.1920 said:

No it doesn't.

Ever heard about precast? GS hits more reliable than dagger in the competitive modes and in PvE its speed doesn't matter.

No it isn't.

Try to hit a walking boss with GS, good luck

• Haha 1
  • Confused 3

All they have to do is speed up the weapon attack speed by 15% and then adjust the weapon damage and/or skill coefficients to compensate.  They can easily maintain the same overall performance while increasing quality of life.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 2/26/2024 at 7:49 PM, GeraldBC.4927 said:

I agree with Liewec

It's okay to have a weapon with really slow skills like necro greatsword. But if you make a weapon be really slow and clunky like that, the amount of damage those attacks deal better have some serious power to them. They better hit as hard as the animations would imply, and even in the reaper's post-buff state, they don't really do that. 

or have good defense. I wanted burst and defense for slow melee weapon. Like a Melee two hander tank in the front line. Thats what I envisioned with the Reaper. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

The only serious change I would make is gs 5 a ground-targeted pull, because the pull isn't always reliable on terrain, notably uneven terrain. I've seen the claw go underground and not do anything. I know people have suggested that it be a leap/dash on greatsword (me included) but I truly don't think anet would want to give necro that edge.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, mirage.8046 said:

The only serious change I would make is gs 5 a ground-targeted pull, because the pull isn't always reliable on terrain, notably uneven terrain. I've seen the claw go underground and not do anything. I know people have suggested that it be a leap/dash on greatsword (me included) but I truly don't think anet would want to give necro that edge.

Honestly I'd love to see that leap/dash, but you are right that is would truly make necro terrifying and the devs would not want that xD

Also it's true that the pull has some really strange interactions.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/23/2024 at 10:59 AM, XECOR.2814 said:

I posted it many times before but I would love to see this change too. It would make the greatsword feel much better to play overall and it would be a lot of fun. Not to mention greatsword then might see use in competitive modes too.

The animation already is built exactly for it, just need to add movement component.

Heres the video for reference from devil may cry - stinger skill.

Aside: from this: maybe a tad bit faster auto attacks would help a lot. Also grave digger does too less damage in competitive modes compared to its radius and cast time.

I'd much prefer necro gs3 to have a leap animation like the Ranger sword3  serpent strike but the finisher should stay the same "whirl" coz the greatsword is spinning while leaping towards the target

Edited by Crystal Paladin.3871
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

On 2/19/2024 at 2:46 AM, Flumek.9043 said:

Its a PVE only weapon.

2x autoatacks  + 3x  dmg skills  , all clunky and unreliable.  Considering it didnt get changed during its marrketing prime, or any other balance rework - it wont happen. Imagine, for it to work in todays PVP meta:

#1 faster autoatack,  like perma quickness

#2 range 300 + added  stability , superspeed and blind immunity , to fit the "you cant get away from me" theme

#3 600 range port

#4 only good skill, stays same

#5  keep pretty but useless animation - in reality use spectral grasp skill

And then, even with above "wet dream" buffs - you still cant live 1v2 and need a support babysitter.

Not true at all, power reaper axe/focus/gs is like a A tier roamer and spvp build, just higher skill cap, Nightfall prob one of the best defensives, basically a boon rip/well of darkness/blind and if your skilled you can pop people with gravedigger/death spiral when you play spite and take quickness trait. Just not a easy brain dead build like say condi reaper or harbinger. They have reworked GS like half dozen times since heart of thorns came out, it used to be way slower, the auto attack chain is the only annoying thing but hits like a truck, just mostly use to cleave in pvp. If they speed some of the attacks up even further, would be kinda busted.

The actual damage is there, just most people in 2024 are used to power creep no effort let me spam 1 button mentality.  and the pull is a skill shot, and very useful, should see what experienced necros can do with power reaper in pvp, both roaming and Spvp. I can think of more useless weapons in this game on other classes.

• Confused 3

Imagine thinking one of the best melee weapon skill loadouts in the entire game is bad lol.

People complaining need to learn how to cancel precast and aftercast delays with various skills and shroud.  GS skill cast times can pretty much be cut in half with some of them firing off almost instantly if you learn this.

Use gravedigger as bait or to gain space.  It's the only genuinely slow skill on the set.

• Confused 4

On 4/26/2024 at 4:33 AM, DivineDreaming.7206 said:

Not true at all, power reaper axe/focus/gs is like a A tier roamer and spvp build, just higher skill cap, Nightfall prob one of the best defensives, basically a boon rip/well of darkness/blind and if your skilled you can pop people with gravedigger/death spiral when you play spite and take quickness trait. Just not a easy brain dead build like say condi reaper or harbinger. They have reworked GS like half dozen times since heart of thorns came out, it used to be way slower, the auto attack chain is the only annoying thing but hits like a truck, just mostly use to cleave in pvp. If they speed some of the attacks up even further, would be kinda busted.

The actual damage is there, just most people in 2024 are used to power creep no effort let me spam 1 button mentality.  and the pull is a skill shot, and very useful, should see what experienced necros can do with power reaper in pvp, both roaming and Spvp. I can think of more useless weapons in this game on other classes.

If gs is A , then the tierlist goes to SSS.

Joke aside GS never got any reworks, only number tweaks.  Only pull got some stuff changed to make it clunky from horrible.

The weapon is useless because it doesnt "work" , it has no flow. It just an extra utility skill, a 2nd blind well + 4x skills that often do 0.  The weapon is entirely carried  by shroud. 

Garbage made for silvers dueling each other at keep.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/31/2024 at 8:46 AM, AzureTerra.1642 said:

Only Greatsword that needs fixing is the Warriors

Warrior's Greatsword mostly need a better animation for Hundred Blades that doesn't make it look like you're waving a toy sword.

But Necromancer's Greatsword need something too.
I would add that Gravedigger is a bad ability. Being able to spam it mindlessly against a target below 50% HP for a bit of extra damage is a terrible design.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/12/2024 at 4:17 PM, Kulvar.1239 said:

I would add that Gravedigger is a bad ability. Being able to spam it mindlessly against a target below 50% HP for a bit of extra damage is a terrible design.

Not only that, the animation oh my it's god awful, it looks so funny. Little ballerina of darkness. I really hate 360* degree turns. Honestly G3 animation is better in that "great attack" sense.

YOU DON'T TURN YOUR BACK TO ENEMY. You don't give up your ground.

• Thanks 1