How can I unequip the glider?

There are times when the glider is a real PITA. Like in some jumping puzzles, when you need to make a long jump, the glider opens when I don't want it to and I glide past the point I'm trying to jump to. Or in some of the dive master achievements where you have to run and jump far off tfhe cliff, the wings open and spoil the attempt. 

I'm currently totally stuck on the dive master in the bitter cold - I'm supposed to hit the target area to crack the ice, but I can't jump that far without the kitten wings opening.

• Confused 4

18 minutes ago, Eastwind.7209 said:

Long press is a long jump - or it was until I got the glider. I can't do the long jump anymore now that I have the glider. Sometimes a little hop won't get far enough.

Long press was never a long jump, the jump distance is fixed (provided you're pressing W the entire time and are not in combat or effected by movement impairing conditions) and the only thing that affects it is speed bonuses such as Swiftness or Superspeed.

And one more tip, it's possible to preform something we call a dodge-jump which is basically pressing both the dodge and jump buttons together, that also increases the jump distance. 

Try to get used to only tapping your jump button as the others said and remember the above tips are the only way to increase the jump distance.

Edited by jason.1083
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 3

9 hours ago, Eastwind.7209 said:

Long press is a long jump - or it was until I got the glider. I can't do the long jump anymore now that I have the glider. Sometimes a little hop won't get far enough.

Like jason said, your jump power is the same regardless of how long you press the spacebar. How you approach the jump (jumping from standing still or with a running start) and movement speed boosts are what affects your jump distance. 

11 hours ago, Eastwind.7209 said:

There are times when the glider is a real PITA. Like in some jumping puzzles, when you need to make a long jump, the glider opens when I don't want it to and I glide past the point I'm trying to jump to. Or in some of the dive master achievements where you have to run and jump far off tfhe cliff, the wings open and spoil the attempt. 

I'm currently totally stuck on the dive master in the bitter cold - I'm supposed to hit the target area to crack the ice, but I can't jump that far without the kitten wings opening.

If you are using a gaming keyboard, then look into your keyboards app/drivers as it is possible that when you press any key it will start to register and repeat the same action/command until you release that key. It might be that you need to adjust how fast it will repeat any keystroke when you press a key from when want to Glide or just do a jump with out Gliding.

If you keep holding "A" you will have "aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa", when you only tap "A" you will have one "a" on most keyboards, so this how it works. It is the same for space bar where need to find out a balance between a single press and multiple repeat of the same key stroke.

"Tapping" here would mean a very short press that will only register as one command from keyboard, while "holding" will repeat that same command until you will release that key.

On gaming keyboards you will often find app to control each key stroke and how long time it will take to register between press and release and between being a single key stroke or repeating it until being released. You should be able to set space bar to only register a press as a "tap" or as a "hold" (or repeating action/command until released). It is possible to set up profiles in case you need to switch when you are doing Jumping Puzzle and normal usage of Space bar in most gaming keyboards apps with dedicated key combo or key to change between profiles without having to open app each time you would want to change between profiles.

If you are using a gaming laptop, then it is more likely you don't have the same control for the built in keyboard even on a laptop marketed as a "gaming laptop". On "cheaper" gaming laptop it is most background light that can be controlled and nothing else at least from vendor through their app. This also depends on what keyboard technology that have been used as most are some hybrid or imitate mechanical switches for feedback, but lack that kind of control real mechanical keyboards have.

[EDIT:
If you don't have a gaming keyboard, then you can control how fast any key will repeat in MS Windows 10 from Control Panel: https://www.thewindowsclub.com/keyboard-repeat-rate-and-repeat-delay-in-windows-10

Adjust how fast it will repeat by delay and speed sliders. This will change every key and also have an impact for every input from keyboard, so it is a crude method to adjust one key like space bar, but it might help if you have set it to have a too short time between in between each key stroke delay or too high speed to start to repeat that key stroke.]

Here is a video showing that jump in Bitterfrost Frontier:

What you need to do is to aim to jump into the water in from the correct position (mark chest with your Personal Waypoint if you can't see where to jump in water while standing on cliff) as you can see here as there two Diving Google points and only this one will get you where you need to go down into the water and interact with that chest for that achievement. Don't forget to interact with Diving Google before making that jump as need to be transformed while hitting that spot to count as part of that achievement. You can see that transformation when this happens when weapon bar turn all blanc (no weapon skills or utility skills on bar).

Make sure to have that frost buff that you need for that part of map before going there and you can use mounts avoid most hostile NPCs until you get to that cliff where you make that jump.

If video looks fuzzy, adjust resolution in YT player as it seem to default to 480P instead of 1080P for video playback.

Edited by ShadowCatz.8437

There's no keybind for a "long jump" and holding the space bar has never helped.  Move speed boons can affect your distance and the move direction keys can affect the distance and direction.  For example, you can curve in air by turning your character.  There are several jumps in the chalice of tears JP in ember bay where you have to do just that: start the jump by angling away from the wall by then immediately turn your character towards the wall while in air to curve it around a spot. Impossible in real life but this isn't.

If you really want to "disable" the glider, use a macro to press space down/up without a delay. The glider requires holding the key to activate, so this will prevent it entirely, including if you try to spam it while falling. If your keyboard doesn't support macros, use AutoHotKey.

That said, it would be better to get out of the habit of holding the key, which has no effect on jumping.