New PC for WvW in full settings

Hello everyone,

I would like to change my PC which dates from 2015. 
I've only been playing GW2 since its release. AND so, I'm looking for a setup that allows me to enjoy it to the full in all situations. I play mainly in WvW. 

I know that the game consumes a lot of CPU (what's the best CPU atm ?), and I'd like to find the most adapted configuration without breaking the bank. 

Thanks for your advice 🙂

VydoLL

I have a PC from 2019, with an Nvidia graphics card that was good for back then, 32 gb RAM (I upgraded from 16gb to 32 approx 1 year ago), and run my games like gw2 off a usb-connected external SSD (internal SSD isn't an option for me). I run at the highest graphics and sounds settings without any issues.  The ram upgrade and running from a SSD instead of an hdd made a huge difference for my performance. 

You really don't need a super advanced PC to run gw2 at the highest graphics, etc...  Also, no matter how good your PC and internet are you will have lag at some point in wvw.  The issues will be server side.

For example, a month ago we were using lag as an early warning system in wvw. My Zerg was trying to "sneak in" to an enemy garrison and we were just outside the outer wall when everyone in the Zerg got massive LAG!  We knew from the lag that the other Zerg (which was twice our size) was on the other side of the wall, even before they were visible.  It's gotten better since then but there will always be server side lag.

Edited by Tinker.6924
  • Thanks 1

First make sure you actually want to run at higher graphic settings. I've upgraded my pc recently, set gw2 settings on highest and kitten almost went blind. I hope with the additional post processing settings that come out tomorrow we will be able to make it playable. But right now, the game at highest settings is a blurry bloomy lightshow that unless your hobby is looking directly at a high noon sun will just hurt your eyes. Lower settings definitely make it more crisp and clear. 

• Thanks 1

You guys did check your graphics setting,

disabling reflections and limiting the two bottom character settings to lowest/med, right?

Recently I also figured out that setting the

Render Sampling to Subsample does help quite a bit with the lag in the Wizard's Tower.

Hope it helps.

• Confused 1

Thank you for all your helpful answers.

I've already made a few changes to the game's graphics settings, and I've also changed the renders with "Reshade", which gives me more realism and less shine without any loss of FPS.

Budget-wise, it's pretty open-ended. My previous PC from 2015 cost me 1,100 EUR at the time and it lasted 8 years without a hitch, thanks to a CPU upgrade 4 years ago. 

Now, with the change of graphics engine and the massive battles in WvW, I can see the limits (I hardly exceed 10/15 FPS, unless I set all the graphics parameters to low, and then the game gets hideous).

So my budget would be between 1,700 and 2,700 EUR, I know it's a lot, but I figure that with a PC at 2,700 EUR I should be able to play all future games at maximum graphics. Maybe even play Guildwars 3, who knows 😉

So far in the budget: I'm going with this : 
High: For 2700 EUR: i9-14900K/RTX 4060/32Gb Ram/4To SDD
Mid: For 2200 EUR: i7-14700KF/RTX 4060/32Gb Ram/2To
Low: For 2000 EUR: i5-14600KF/RTX 3060/32Gb/2To 

I'm sure I'll be fine for the 2,700 EUR one 😄 But will the Low and Mid setups give the same results? 

18 hours ago, Cuks.8241 said:

First make sure you actually want to run at higher graphic settings

This is a good point. Gw2 generates a lot of visual pollution at the highest graphics settings and many players turn certain things down.  A better graphics card isn't going to help that either. For example, my main is a Necro and going into shroud with the highest graphics settings turns the whole world green which is by design, what anet intended.  For me this makes some mechanics difficult to see and is distracting and as result I play with the Post Processing graphics set to Low.

Gw2, like many other MMO's, doesn't require a top level gaming PC to be at it's best. If you do get a top level gaming PC either get it because you may be interested in other games that are more graphics intensive or get it as an investment to make it last 7+ years. 

12 hours ago, VydoLL.8714 said:

Thank you for all your helpful answers.

I've already made a few changes to the game's graphics settings, and I've also changed the renders with "Reshade", which gives me more realism and less shine without any loss of FPS.

Budget-wise, it's pretty open-ended. My previous PC from 2015 cost me 1,100 EUR at the time and it lasted 8 years without a hitch, thanks to a CPU upgrade 4 years ago. 

Now, with the change of graphics engine and the massive battles in WvW, I can see the limits (I hardly exceed 10/15 FPS, unless I set all the graphics parameters to low, and then the game gets hideous).

So my budget would be between 1,700 and 2,700 EUR, I know it's a lot, but I figure that with a PC at 2,700 EUR I should be able to play all future games at maximum graphics. Maybe even play Guildwars 3, who knows 😉

So far in the budget: I'm going with this : 
High: For 2700 EUR: i9-14900K/RTX 4060/32Gb Ram/4To SDD
Mid: For 2200 EUR: i7-14700KF/RTX 4060/32Gb Ram/2To
Low: For 2000 EUR: i5-14600KF/RTX 3060/32Gb/2To 

I'm sure I'll be fine for the 2,700 EUR one 😄 But will the Low and Mid setups give the same results? 

Those seem extremely overpriced.  Ditch the 14th gen Intels, grab Ryzen X3D and a better GPU for at least $1000 less?