Anet, DONT Mess This Up

As an MMORPG this game is in a very good spot. This game is regarded as one of the all time best in the gerne and its one of NCSoft's most reliable sources of income. This is NOT the time to make low quality stories for the MAIN story line. I am sure that in WRITING the general story sounded fine, but the execution of the story was very poor. A chain is ONLY as strong as its weakest link. Common Anet, have some fun with this, geez it all felt so poorly executed, no heart, no soul, character development, the way they went about it made little to no sense. Where's the art and creativity in the story? 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 8
  • Sad 1

You're going to have to be a little more specific. Exactly what parts are you giving feedback about? They need to know exactly what is not to your liking so that they can take it into consideration for future content.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 4

1 hour ago, Zera.9435 said:

You're going to have to be a little more specific. Exactly what parts are you giving feedback about? They need to know exactly what is not to your liking so that they can take it into consideration for future content.

Being specific about feedback in this forum will just lead to the poor poster getting attacked and insulted with everyone saying its a non-issue and a personal problem.  So it's perfectly fine no different than those giving endless praise without going into detail he gave just enough information that the average person can easily infer the rest.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 10

18 minutes ago, Doam.8305 said:

Being specific about feedback in this forum will just lead to the poor poster getting attacked and insulted with everyone saying its a non-issue and a personal problem.  So it's perfectly fine no different than those giving endless praise without going into detail he gave just enough information that the average person can easily infer the rest.

Then people need to stop giving power to mere opinions and pixelated words on your screen. Speak freely, give examples, and don't be afraid of disagreements.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

Just now, Vavume.8065 said:

I think it was specific enough, he said the story was low quality, he is right.

Yes, but that doesn't give the devs a direction to go in. You need to explain WHY it's low quality.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

Just now, Zera.9435 said:

Yes, but that doesn't give the devs a direction to go in. You need to explain WHY it's low quality.

Sure you could explain why, but even a "not good enough" post is still valuable feedback to devs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 4

I'll try to provide some specific criticisms, without providing specific story spoilers.

The final story mission that was all talk, with no major battle was disappointing. The events that unfolded were interesting enough, but it really felt like there should have been a battle of some significance at the climax of the scene.

The story mission before that where you are assaulting a high ranking kryptis's stronghold was underwhelming. A pincer attack was ordered, and then your assault force was incredibly underwhelming. There was no army on either side. You fought several small groups with a single ally, and then fought a boss battle with a few allies you met up with. This was not an assault, it was a small special ops mission. The story they were trying to tell did not at all match the content of the story mission.

The story mission before that also included a bunch of monsters that spawned outside of the map area you were allowed to go to, so rushing up to fight them (as required by the mission objectives) teleported you back to the part of the map you were allowed to be in.

The story missions before that involved several steps in a row of "go into an instance to talk to some NPCs, then leave the instance to grind X events", which just felt like padding to increase the playtime of the story. It also meant that I sometimes had to choose between continuing the story, or doing the meta event that is about to start. I just finished a bunch of events to progress it, but after leaving the story instance I'm probably going to be placed into a different map. Don't worry, I'm going to put time into playing this map and its events. I just want to run through the story first.

I agree that the overall story writing wasn't terrible, but the implementation of the story missions designed to tell that story really needed more work.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

Muklucks criticism seemed on point in one of his latest videos.  To paraphrase:

Spoiler

I the Supreme being of chaos have you helpless before me.  I am so enraged by what you have done that I am going to kill you all in three months!  It then leaves without killing anyone.  Wut?

• Like 9

Personally I always saw the story as a way to gain more AP, Mastery Points and an unavoidable method of unlocking new content [Maps] for the first time.

Don't want to discredit the story in GW2, but in my personal opinion GW2 is mainly about the flexibility of character progression.

Sure there are a-lot of people who play GW2 for the story, but the game has so much more to offer, that the story becomes just a one and done thing for many.

It would be great if the story is improved like you said, but personally I think the GW2 Community has been 'Conditioned' in a way that the Story becomes 'Side-Content'.

One thing that I personally think would drastically improve the overall feel of the Story is if every point in the story where your character or the NPCs talk amongst each other, is made into a cut-scene or something more enjoying to watch. I feel like the unskippable conversations in 'Chat-Bubble' format makes the player fall asleep very fast.

Edited by Royal Grand Majesty.9852
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

6 minutes ago, Royal Grand Majesty.9852 said:

Personally I always saw the story as a way to gain more AP, Mastery Points and an unavoidable method of unlocking new content [Maps] for the first time.

Don't want to discredit the story in GW2, but in my personal opinion GW2 is mainly about the flexibility of character progression.

Sure there are a-lot of people who play GW2 for the story, but the game has so much more to offer, that the story becomes just a one and done thing for many.

It would be great if the story is improved like you said, but personally I think the GW2 Community has been 'Conditioned' in a way that the Story becomes 'Side-Content'.

I agree with all of this. Story isn’t unimportant, but it is secondary to everything else, and the actual gameplay/environments/mechanics have a much more enduring impact.

There are probably maps/mechanics where the story did come first, but certainly these days I think they come up with the cool new feature/mastery/map concepts first, then think about what kind of story would allow for such a thing to be put in the game. And I’m happy with it like that, because as long as they do a passable job of tying it in, I’d rather have fun things to play with across many hours in the open world than niche and/or annoying mechanics just because that made sense in the story.

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

A lot of you guys made great points, and yes the issue is the main storyline, no point in giving a specific example if the patch was already released, then what about the next one?? Its best to give general feedback; the characters lacked depth, the battles were low tier and didnt make sense. A supremely powerful being bursting in rage and for SOME reason lets you live??? Make NO ATTEMPTS against your life right there and then? Nobody had to come in and save you because "you cant face him alone" scenario? Story telling tends to have an array of formulas to pick from if there is a lack of creativity. It was low tier for a game of this caliber. We are a pretty supportive player base, we arent asking for big budget nor any cinematics, but at least make the story make sense.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

A better way to have written that last part.  The death threat at a later date, while we are currently and clearly helpless, is jarring.  If it had said, "I want you to suffer."  Something along the lines of "No one will know agony as you shall know it"  Then he walks away.  Now people  can wonder why did it let us live?  What is it planning to do?  be intentionally vague.
Then you can have everyone slowly go insane during the next story arc.  No one seems able to stop it.  Whispers, Like Jormag used to do.  Hallucinations, where npc's are fighting each other but see cryptis.  Walking through a story instance and you fall through the ground and the game cuts to you cowering in a hallway with people asking you, "What is wrong commander?"  Ziatan bursting through the ground and we fight a proper battle.  "What is going on? This can't be real! Zhitan is dead!"  With no explanation given afterward.   Basically mental torture.  

Edit:  For that matter the commander has had mentally unstable episodes before.  Perhaps the commander is becoming too unstable and needs to be confined.  Or perhaps the commander is delusional and only thinks that allies are trying to imprison them.  Maybe from the player's point of view we can't prove it one way or the other.  Obviously we need to find the big bad, but the big bad doesn't seem to be anywhere.  We are seeing things, hearing things, our new friends are chasing us, or maybe they aren't?  Rifts are still occuring but dragon minions are coming out, civilians are coming out.  Sometimes they drop cryptis essence, sometimes they drop the loot consistent with their appearances.  Did the commander really just massacre a group of fleeing civilians?  No they were monsters, monsters in disguise!  I think.  Cryptis don't drop cloth scraps though.

Edited by Zebulous.2934

10 hours ago, Adry.7512 said:

As an MMORPG this game is in a very good spot.

I disagree. I think it is already in a very bad spot. It can be seen from how cheap everything is (and no, i don;t mean prices). Everything seems to be done with minimal resources, effort and barely any deeper dev interest, which are more and more replaced with increased amount of "cheap" (again that word) designs that aim at increasing participation and upping metrics shortterm, at the cost of more longterm interest (burnout mechanics do help if you want to raise numbers right now, but, well, then the burnout hits)

The effects of that are always delayed (and playerbase nowadays seems to have a massive inertia) which means that the consequences will arrive with a delay (probably a long one), but it also means that when they eventually arrive, it might be way too late to salvage stuff.

• Like 6
  • Confused 2

12 hours ago, Vavume.8065 said:

I think it was specific enough, he said the story was low quality, he is right.

What part of  "the story"?
The story has several parts and aspects you know?

Claiming the whole story is low quality would be just false.

12 hours ago, Vavume.8065 said:

Sure you could explain why, but even a "not good enough" post is still valuable feedback to devs.

Sure, but "story is weak" is far far less helpful than explaining what part or even what aspect of the story is weak.

By just saying "it's bad" the best outcome is that devs improve the parts they think are weak. And if that's not what you meant, you keep complaining or even say they don't listen to feedback.
But if you explain what of the story you think is bad, they know exactly what should be improved.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2