Legendary Relic

Hi Tyrians, i've recently acquired the legendary relic. Now, as the wiki says: 

Legendary Relic differs from other legendary equipment as it won't automatically include the functionality of newer relics added in future expansions. Instead, players will have to unlock each relic before being able to select it as an option in the legendary item.

What should i do with every other relics i got? These "newer relics added in the future expansions" are not those already in the game, right? I can salvage all the relics i got? Those from the Soto achievement, for exemple?

Good tip if you still have the relic select box on some chars for core relics:
(and I have some ... I think I have like 9 chars and not played 6 of them really with the boxes still sitting in the inventory)

Try to select some that you never had. (And then salvaging of course.) There is still the achievement (which I almost forgot about) - and just getting them to get credit for the achievement (to just trash them) is expensive. But for completionists ... might want to complete it (if not already done).

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Randulf.7614 said:

I salvaged all the ones that were selectable in the relic that were cluttering up my bank. I used the reserach salvage kit on the core ones

Looking to the legendary relic I even have some Soto relic which i miss, like the Fractal and the Nourys (the one from Convergence). The research kit on core ones should be really good!

14 minutes ago, Luthan.5236 said:

Good tip if you still have the relic select box on some chars for core relics:
(and I have some ... I think I have like 9 chars and not played 6 of them really with the boxes still sitting in the inventory)

Try to select some that you never had. (And then salvaging of course.) There is still the achievement (which I almost forgot about) - and just getting them to get credit for the achievement (to just trash them) is expensive. But for completionists ... might want to complete it (if not already done).

I have 23 Box, so i can select 23 core relics and salvage them all, i have only 4/40, so i can complete 3/4 of the achievement. My fear was that there could be some kind of bug with the item, since i have even runes i never got. In my mind, to unlock a relic i should have owned it. Seems like we'll have to unlock only new relics still not present in the game.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Reminas.5641 said:

"newer relics added in the future expansions" are not those already in the game, right? 

For this, I'm going to assume future relic will work similar to how skins do now. Once you bind/salvage the skin it gets added to your wardrobe. Future relics added to the game sound like they'll be like that. Bind/acquire it and then it will be in your legendary.

Worth noting: the above description by Arenanet is also not entirely correct. In fact the legendary relic doesn't automatically include the functionality of newer relics added in future AND CURRENT expansions. So if you own a legendary relic but not SOTO it can only emulate core relics.

• Like 1

I really don't like how things are going with these relics. I have the inventory of my characters filled with relics that I find useless, but I'm scared to salvage because in the future they might be changed. You can buy runes/sigils, but it would suck if I destroy a relic now and in future I want to buy it again (at least I'm glad that I can buy them with ascended shards). Paying 970 gold for the "QoL" doesn't really sound appealing on the other hand. But I guess this is their goal: bloating our inventory with account bound items or pay 970 gold to free up 30+ inventory slots.

• Confused 4

5 hours ago, Urud.4925 said:

I really don't like how things are going with these relics. I have the inventory of my characters filled with relics that I find useless, but I'm scared to salvage because in the future they might be changed. You can buy runes/sigils, but it would suck if I destroy a relic now and in future I want to buy it again (at least I'm glad that I can buy them with ascended shards). Paying 970 gold for the "QoL" doesn't really sound appealing on the other hand. But I guess this is their goal: bloating our inventory with account bound items or pay 970 gold to free up 30+ inventory slots.

There is zero reason to keep relics you don't ever intend to use. 

Edited by RoseofGilead.8907
  • Like 4

22 hours ago, Urud.4925 said:

Relics are the same as any other exotic equipment, including runes. You will be able to get another one in future if you want it (including the ones that initially come from achievements, they can be bought from vendors in SotO maps once you've done the achievement) so if you've got one you don't currently have a use for you can get rid of it. The only reason to hold onto ones that aren't equipped is if you think they will be useful soon. For example if you've got a character who is almost level 80 who could use it.

(Admittedly I've got a bunch of relic boxes and about 4 or 5 individual relics I'm just holding onto, but that's because I haven't decided which ones most of my characters will use. I keep telling myself I'll do it sometime but I always have more interesting things to do.)

• Like 1

Well, they are definitely more expensive than runes and sigils. I can buy them again, true, but I'd be quite sad if I have to spend 20 gold or 250 pinch of stardust again. Are they sold at a discounted price after completing the collections? I can't find this information on the wiki.