Remember when blasting water fields was the way to heal?

23 minutes ago, ArchonWing.9480 said:

The thing about Karakosa is that it is just blasting any field. It can even just be fields you make yourself so there is less need for coordination since the odds of hitting any field at random in the middle of a fight is pretty damned high.

On the other hand, back when people blasted water, it was important to blast the right field so calls actually had to be made regarding placing the water field. Water fields were also not as common. It was also important to not put down the wrong fields. Though to be fair light fields used to be worse.

Nobody is going to call for blasting Karakosa because it would just clog up comms for no good reason.

Whether this is worse or better is subjective, but regardless it's hard to argue that there's equal or more skill expression on Karakosa than properly blasting a water field.

After all of these years I still remember nearly every minute of the movie Blade. That fight choreography and Snipes performance was on point all the way through and I can still feel the impact of every hit. It wasn't super fast but every second counted. Most comic, superhero, and even just action movies in general that I catch now don't hit like that and routinely end up being floaty and forgettable. 

Just like I space out during every Marvel movie until one of the characters drops a dumb quip at the end of a fight sequence, I don't really know or am too concerned with what's going on in that big ball of light with players in it until I see a bunch of Downed players on either side. I try to be tuned into that, but rate of fire and actions right now is on another level and so much of it is residual or as consequence of other actions and deliberate actions can be hard to parse out from the crowd. 

I hope if Anet ever decides to slow their roll and trim up or overhaul the combat to get back to some fundamentals, that they put out a solid guide because a lot of players have kind of leap frogged much of them at this point. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ArchonWing.9480 said:

On the other hand, back when people blasted water, it was important to blast the right field so calls actually had to be made regarding placing the water field. Water fields were also not as common. It was also important to not put down the wrong fields. Though to be fair light fields used to be worse.

If you recall, "big water" and "small water" were best dropped at different times during the fight.  Most often "big water" wasn't something coordinated, just dropped on engage and blasts occurred as warriors hammer-stunned on engage in addition to the other healing/cleanse it did.  No one really coordinated that.  I think you're describing only "small water" with it's smaller radius.

Anyway, when a person writes a post, it's nice when they explain their reasoning.  Like, some of us longtime players might have an idea of what is meant, but how does that look to a reader who hasn't been playing very long?  Why would/should we go back to that?  I also don't want to assume the OP's reasoning.  That's not fair.

Edited by Chaba.5410

1 hour ago, Chaba.5410 said:

If you recall, "big water" and "small water" were best dropped at different times during the fight.  Most often "big water" wasn't something coordinated, just dropped on engage and blasts occurred as warriors hammer-stunned on engage in addition to the other healing/cleanse it did.  No one really coordinated that.  I think you're describing only "small water" with it's smaller radius.

I mean sure but that's just splitting hairs I think?  Just because water 5 was multipurpose doesn't mean calling for water  blasts wasn't a thing.

I mean sure, small water was probably only explicitly for water blasting but that's also because it didn't (and still doesn't) do that much without being blasted. And considering this whole notion doesn't even mean anything to non-ele players. Other players just need to understand they need to blast and not drop conflicting fields.

Edited by ArchonWing.9480

The thing is that back then you had to be a proactive and in most cases you had to do something to get something else in return, i.e. someone had to place a water field and someone had to blast it to get healing, same with pre-stacking might, retaliation, swiftness and so.. now, everything comes for free and just pops up.

Also there was not much target/skill cap, so smaller group could outplay bigger group, which is not possible now and literally numbers win.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, zemiacsik.4590 said:

and literally numbers win.

Except that’s no longer the case either, the boonball always wins because a boonball is not the sum of its players. It’s more. Much, much more. It needs at least 2-4x the numbers to overwhelm unless it’s a mirror copy fighting it. This means you can literally end up in a situation where numbers can’t win, because there is a map cap.

But on the upside, guilds/coms can always claim they where so awesome since the enemy needed so many to take them down.

Edited by Dawdler.8521

19 hours ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

Except that’s no longer the case either, the boonball always wins because a boonball is not the sum of its players. It’s more. Much, much more. It needs at least 2-4x the numbers to overwhelm unless it’s a mirror copy fighting it. This means you can literally end up in a situation where numbers can’t win, because there is a map cap.

But on the upside, guilds/coms can always claim they where so awesome since the enemy needed so many to take them down.

Well, in a way that's a valid thing  in small scale :/, but claiming  that on a blob with 50ish minstrells  idk what to call those people, brainwashed to the system :D ?

7 minutes ago, Aeolus.3615 said:

Well, in a way that's a valid thing  in small scale :/, but claiming  that on a blob with 50ish minstrells  idk what to call those people, brainwashed to the system 😄 ?

True at least there you can bring overwhelming numbers.

But seeing groups come with 2 people and have decent fights only for them to return some hour later when more of their guild is on with like 8 people and 7 of them are supports does make the brain hurt too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

True at least there you can bring overwhelming numbers.

But seeing groups come with 2 people and have decent fights only for them to return some hour later when more of their guild is on with like 8 people and 7 of them are supports does make the brain hurt too.

Let people discover minstrels rifle mesmer with strong 20+ stacks of confusion... soon minstrell duelists with the current quality of players i would not be admired :P.

Edited by Aeolus.3615