Necro Sword 3 (Gorge) Post 3/19 Patch

Before the patch: you could sword 3 (Path of Gluttony) then Sword 3 (Gorge) again, and if you weapon swapped before the bar was completed you should cancel the skill and it wouldn't put you into combat

Post Patch: The health cost for Sword 3 (Gorge) is paid at the beginning of the cast putting you in combat.

Is this an intended change post patch? I couldn't find anything in the patch notes about it.

Development team if you happen to be reading this and it was intended can you help us understand the why? Also we we consider reverting this change as I see this as an opportunity to display skill expression on a class, and it limits the Out Of Combat (OOC) mobility of the class, a class which has very limited mobility options. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I guess they made that decision because the intended design is to scrifice health first and then afterwards heal instead of the other way around.

Which of the two alternatives is better is situational.

Since there would be smarter ways to program this, there is another possible reason: The leap alone could be worth the sacrifice to their opinion. 

Edited by KrHome.1920
  • Like 5

Thats cool and all but why it puts you in combat on the first skill tho. Shouldnt the life cost go on the second skill press?

Not to mention im not a big fan of health cost anyway. They could very well put no health cost and no healing component and it would balance out. The weapon might even be better without it cause then it might be given vuln or something on skills or better damage and not handicapped cause you gain health so cant do high damage argument.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, XECOR.2814 said:

Thats cool and all but why it puts you in combat on the first skill tho. Shouldnt the life cost go on the second skill press?

Not to mention im not a big fan of health cost anyway. They could very well put no health cost and no healing component and it would balance out. The weapon might even be better without it cause then it might be given vuln or something on skills or better damage and not handicapped cause you gain health so cant do high damage argument.

Honestly for me it's not about the health costs. I don't mind them, and the dev team found something thematic for the character/class. Does it feel the best when playing? Not always but even if it's not optimal I still kinda enjoy it

9 hours ago, KrHome.1920 said:

I guess they made that decision because the intended design is to scrifice health first and then afterwards heal instead of the other way around.

Which of the two alternatives is better is situational.

Since there would be smarter ways to program this, there is another possible reason: The leap alone could be worth the sacrifice to their opinion. 

I see where you're coming from with the intent versus the execution and I don't have problems with the health cost in combat. However, this was a form of skillet expression that wasn't tied directly to a DPS increase like most of the games, Skillet expressions (i.e. animation canceling guardian great sword five for more DPS) . I just don't like the feeling of not being able to use mobility skills outside of combat because it will put me in combat and actually slow me down. I really enjoy necro as a class, but it was not. One of my most played because of the fact that it lack mobility skills and it is one of my favorite parts of the abilities in this game. 

Additionally, having something in the patch notes to tell us that this was happening would have been nice if this was a change they had planned on making. 

Ofc when players find a skill interaction which brings at least a bit of fun and skill expression in bad theme over fun an function design it gets patched within a single patch cycle, but when things are broken, bad and unfun, we have to wait 5+ years for a fix/change.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

the new version of the skill is garbage.

* Sacrificing health puts you in combat no matter what (unlike Health Steal) which is a problem they tried resolving years ago (with Warhorn) and apparently completely forgot it was an issue.

* Canceling EITHER of the 2 skills puts it on FULL cooldown now, which is inconsistent with every other skill in the game. So if you cancel with weapon swap, it will always put your weapon swap on full cooldown as well.

• Like 1

On 3/21/2024 at 3:26 AM, XECOR.2814 said:

It doesn't? The first usage of the skill does not cost health and does not put you in combat. The flip skill (second use) has a health cost and does put you in combat.

I think what is being discussed is the health cost going at the start of the second skill rather than the end, meaning you can't skill cancel it to avoid the cost and going in combat while still getting the benefit of the movement element of the second leap.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Remus Darkblight.1673 said:

It doesn't? The first usage of the skill does not cost health and does not put you in combat. The flip skill (second use) has a health cost and does put you in combat.

I think what is being discussed is the health cost going at the start of the second skill rather than the end, meaning you can't skill cancel it to avoid the cost and going in combat while still getting the benefit of the movement element of the second leap.

I didnt test the new patch in that comment and was coming off based on prev comments, i did test afterwards and realized the same.
Tbh the skill putting you in combat is not that big of an issue cause you just get ooc in like 2secs after getting in combat because of sacrifice and I would assume the health cost needs to be at the start cause thats the intended design and thats the resource cost for this skill.

• Confused 1

Posted (edited)

Edited to add quote but idk what Im doing apparently lol 

I like the change. You can get out of combat more quickly now, like a sec after you land the second skill, whereas before, you had to wait the full count of being in combat. 

You used to not be put in combat at all if you canceled the skill before the bar completed. Say you are just running around in the open world map completion and want to use the skill to run away from mobs (and starting not in combat), if you are put in combat while they are chasing you it makes getting OOC take longer and slows you down now. Before I could get past them while they were chasing me cast leap 1 then cast leap 2 cancel it while getting most the movement and not be put in combat. Also since I cant use my swiftness ability (warhorn 5) without being put in combat it feel worse to me. 

Edited by Core Rizo.1972

10 hours ago, Core Rizo.1972 said:

Edited to add quote but idk what Im doing apparently lol 

You used to not be put in combat at all if you canceled the skill before the bar completed. Say you are just running around in the open world map completion and want to use the skill to run away from mobs (and starting not in combat), if you are put in combat while they are chasing you it makes getting OOC take longer and slows you down now. Before I could get past them while they were chasing me cast leap 1 then cast leap 2 cancel it while getting most the movement and not be put in combat. Also since I cant use my swiftness ability (warhorn 5) without being put in combat it feel worse to me. 

Regardless, I still like it. It makes a huge difference in competitive modes. 

• 3 weeks later...

I've noticed the combat thing but its really brief, like 1 second.  Generally if you take damage and now have less than 100% health you have to wait for "out of combat regeneration" to kick in to be out of combat. The ability does damage to you.   This seems like expected behavior. 

• 3 months later...