How does this rating system makes sense?

I was rated 1630, I kept getting low plat-gold players most of the games, lose 20points/loss, win 10-11, ofc with gold players a 60-70% winrate is not sustainable. Drop down to 1450, now I get 1550 + rated top players, win 10-12/loose 10-12 points. And of course, since I get ppl at around my level a high winrate again is not sustainable??? Where is the logic in all of this?

• Like 5

"How does this rating system makes sense?" It doesn't 😉 GW2 rates players using GLICKO2 which is meant for chess and other 2-player zero-sum games. This is why you're always pushed to the mean no matter the composition of your team (i.e losing more points than you can win even in 2 matches at plat 1 and above). Note how the best strategy going from the leaderboard is to have as few matches as possible with many gold players clocking in 300+ matches and top 100 players in average not stacking much more than the obligatory decay prevention matches. On top of that the game also wants to stack up mirrored composition matches (i.e you queue as a guardian, there is likely to be a guardian on the other team) which further creates confusion and opens up room for exploiting by queueing as one thing and swapping to its counter if it actually manages to mirror you in the other team. Lastly but not least, the system apparently takes an average of ratings when considering who will go against duoQ and that's why you will also see players with gibberish player names and/or accounts wearing starter armor and sometimes playing in a duo with a top 100 player.

Edited by maxwelgm.4315
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3

Its been explained before... if you want to keep a high rating you basically have to either play the system (cheese duo's with a low MMR partner), queue dodge, play off hours, or luck out with your matches to hit a high MMR, then play as little as possible.  Because at that level with a small population the average MMR of the match will be lower than yours usually.  That means a loss is much more costly than the benefits of a win.  So 3 wins will not counter 2 losses.  So you need to try to play as little as possible.  GW2 is basically a game that incetivizes its best players to play the minimum in order to do well.

Since I like playing I've quit looking at ranks and I just play my best each game.  I use to hit top 50 repeatedly, now I'm like G3 routinely... but I actually get to play and I have more fun and get to see more stupidity.  Over all I'm happier not caring about rank.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, KingJoko.1625 said:

Thanks for the replies!

@shion.2084 how does dodging queues cheese the system? I get the duo, off-hour, class swap ones, but not sure about this

You make friends with the big shots who does account smurfing (duo qeu with a low rank acc with a decent player behind) and as you see them online, you wait them to get on a match, and que after to avoid them. Thats dodging.

Though this thingy is not bullet proof 😛

Edited by Mythras.2091

Rank also really only matters at 150+ games as that's the minimum to rank on the leaderboard at end of season.  

You can place super high but doesn't mean you'll stay there.  

Basically g3/p1 is it for ranking cap unless you know people to duo with.  

• Like 1

On 3/22/2024 at 12:39 PM, Mythras.2091 said:

You make friends with the big shots who does account smurfing (duo qeu with a low rank acc with a decent player behind) and as you see them online, you wait them to get on a match, and que after to avoid them. Thats dodging.

Though this thingy is not bullet proof 😛

Then you carry the noobs, the noobs make u loss games in platinum and u will come here to cry again, thats the big problem in pvp rnow. Thats why ppl dont want to play anymore and bored of these players

Edited by Pinguinelski.3819
  • Like 3

On 3/21/2024 at 10:37 AM, shion.2084 said:

Its been explained before... if you want to keep a high rating you basically have to either play the system (cheese duo's with a low MMR partner), queue dodge, play off hours, or luck out with your matches to hit a high MMR, then play as little as possible.  Because at that level with a small population the average MMR of the match will be lower than yours usually.  That means a loss is much more costly than the benefits of a win.  So 3 wins will not counter 2 losses.  So you need to try to play as little as possible.  GW2 is basically a game that incetivizes its best players to play the minimum in order to do well.

Since I like playing I've quit looking at ranks and I just play my best each game.  I use to hit top 50 repeatedly, now I'm like G3 routinely... but I actually get to play and I have more fun and get to see more stupidity.  Over all I'm happier not caring about rank.

Queueing with someone will cause your partner to have the exact same elo as the highest person in the party. Meaning if you are 1500 and you take some noob wit h you, both of you are treated as 1500 players. This is to prevent boosting and also the main reason why its so difficult to break legendary because when you duo queue the average mmr is so large that yo end up losing 20 points and winning 3-5.

38 minutes ago, Chase.8415 said:

Queueing with someone will cause your partner to have the exact same elo as the highest person in the party. Meaning if you are 1500 and you take some noob wit h you, both of you are treated as 1500 players. This is to prevent boosting and also the main reason why its so difficult to break legendary because when you duo queue the average mmr is so large that yo end up losing 20 points and winning 3-5.

That would make sense but I don't believe it is the case.   Unless they've recently changed things.  I believe last time I checked it's the average plus 50 or something.  Which is why everyone uses a Smurf alt to duo with if they want to climb in rank... then the guy who just went up switches out to his bad alt.  Note that the bad alts occasionally need to tank their rating by throwing match after match to get themselves low again.

I can't find it now... but have a look at the wiki... show me where it takes the highest value for the duo in ranked and the 5 man in unranked....
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/PvP_Matchmaking_Algorithm

Edited by shion.2084

Despite the blatent bad mechanics design across multiple specs/weapons/classes, it was the MMR that made me quit, and ill just ghost the forums every now and then to see if they ever fix it. You can escape selfish team mates with a decent MMR range, as they will sink to low gold at best, and youd also escape the pathetic examples of gamers, AKA: P3 off peak duos.

Edited by Flowki.7194
  • Like 1

On 4/2/2024 at 6:18 PM, shion.2084 said:

That would make sense but I don't believe it is the case.   Unless they've recently changed things.  I believe last time I checked it's the average plus 50 or something.  Which is why everyone uses a Smurf alt to duo with if they want to climb in rank... then the guy who just went up switches out to his bad alt.  Note that the bad alts occasionally need to tank their rating by throwing match after match to get themselves low again.

I can't find it now... but have a look at the wiki... show me where it takes the highest value for the duo in ranked and the 5 man in unranked....
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/PvP_Matchmaking_Algorithm

I think it's a myth or it was a thing at some point but got removed or anet made a statement about it, whichever it is it doesn't take the higher rating for the duo.

• 1 month later...

Man you are not 1630 Elo, you are known noob to everyone in pvp..  Sorry but but you are hardstuck gold 3 player at best and you should stay there silent.. Or otherwise go back to your pve 🙂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Movi.4273 said:

Man you are not 1630 Elo, you are known noob to everyone in pvp..  Sorry but but you are hardstuck gold 3 player at best and you should stay there silent.. Or otherwise go back to your pve 🙂

I am hardstuck in g3(probably a good thing because i only play non meta) but despite all that I hate when I either win or lose because of the high tier difference. It is not fun! During this season I was matched against some of the top 75 (at least 100 tier difference from me and I was the highest tier in all those matches because I asked the team at the end) every time i get close to plat. It is very on the nose and that is not the definition of balance, at least for me.

7 hours ago, Movi.4273 said:

Hello there fellow purple lover

Posted (edited)
On 3/21/2024 at 4:42 PM, KingJoko.1625 said:

I was rated 1630, I kept getting low plat-gold players most of the games, lose 20points/loss, win 10-11, ofc with gold players a 60-70% winrate is not sustainable. Drop down to 1450, now I get 1550 + rated top players, win 10-12/loose 10-12 points. And of course, since I get ppl at around my level a high winrate again is not sustainable??? Where is the logic in all of this?

im g2 i contantly say that im i just got to silver just to kitten off everybody  if team goes afk then just report and spam anet with tickets XD im a manipulator  
AND FOR SOME REASON IT WORKS PEOPLE ACTUALLY FOCUS ON ME AND THEY CANT KILL AND IF TEAM HAS SOME ABILITY TO THINK AND MAKE SOME GOOD PLAYS I WILL WIN,  if team sucks then what ever i do i cant cure stupidity 

Edited by Taco.1428

I went up against naru + his duo partner and got -15 when my rating is like 1425, then I won against a team Shorts was on and got +6.  I wish I was making this up.

I have literally given up hope of MMR making any sense. Your biggest enemy at higher rankings is the system itself. You will spend more focus  & energy gaming the system than actually pvping if you want to maintain plat+.  I say this as a former plat+ pvper. It's just too much  of a headache.

Life is too short to take gw2 pvp ranking seriously, just queue up and try to have fun win or lose.

• Like 2