Understanding team placement on WvW

Can someone explain what determines which team you will be placed on each week in WvW?   

Consistently my entire guild, which most have claimed to have the "representing" tag showing on the guild itself and have it set as their WvW guild.   Yet we are all split up every week, why>

Posted (edited)

Has there been no upcoming beta's in the past 3ish months?  You are reffering to the World Restructuring Beta, correct?    In which case, we have passed through numerous new betas since we have all been on the same WvW guild setting.

Edited by Sarkonis.2761

Posted (edited)

Ah ok,   That's about the time we verified all the WvW settings.... I suppose that makes sense. 

Any new betas upcoming?  Really not fun to not be able to play with friends...  Kinda defeats the point of playing.

Edited by Sarkonis.2761

25 minutes ago, Sarkonis.2761 said:

We all play from the same server.   Last I heard it had nothing to do with anything WvW anymore. 

Wvw is the only thing servers matter for at this point in time.

All of this is also explained in the wiki of the game.

Sinply put:

1. PvE servers are irrelevant, only region matters (NA or EU) given the fame runs a mega server system

2. WvW is based around server, hence the regular (every 2 months) server linking posts of which the most recent ome was yesterday

3. Betas, for world restructuring, of which we have none atm running, are guild wvw representation based

Edited by Cyninja.2954

Posted (edited)

You are referring to the "Current World" shown on the login screen?   3 of us are in the same house, we are on the same Current World, yet the 3 of us are on different WvW teams.

Edited by Sarkonis.2761
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Sarkonis.2761 said:

You are referring to the "Current World" shown on the login screen?   3 of us are in the same house, we are on the same Current World, yet the 3 of us are on different WvW teams.

That should not be the case. If it is, you can contact customer support about it.

My guess though is one of you is misreading the information or just pulling your leg.

You can verify by asking where each of you is placed team wise, and then see which world (or at least world linking) any of you are assigned to (enter wvw, check collor, check which linking pair this is, then double check server).

Edited by Cyninja.2954

It's possible that some of the other guild members could be mistaken, misreading or misunderstanding.  But the 3 of us in this house:  We are on the same IP.   We are on the same Current World; I have visually seen it myself.  We are in the same guild(represented) and have had it set for months.  We started playing the game at roughly the same time on the same platform.  

This makes absolutely ZERO sense to me and I can't understand it despite everything I've looked into.  I've talked to support a few times about this with no resolution. 

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Sarkonis.2761 said:

It's possible that some of the other guild members could be mistaken, misreading or misunderstanding.  But the 3 of us in this house:  We are on the same IP.   We are on the same Current World; I have visually seen it myself.  We are in the same guild(represented) and have had it set for months.  We started playing the game at roughly the same time on the same platform.  

This makes absolutely ZERO sense to me and I can't understand it despite everything I've looked into.  I've talked to support a few times about this with no resolution. 

and you are placed on different teams? Not only different borders but actually different teams, aka if you all go to say red border you do not see each other in the starting area?

Then again: verify which server/world each of you are on (yes this is the house in the world selection on the log in screen), then each enter WvW and check the team color you get, check the current worlds which are assigned that team color (in the WvW main tab) and write a ticket about this to customer support.

Which guild is being represented or is selected as active WvW guild has no bearing on this currently.

Edited by Cyninja.2954

Sorry, "Teams" is probably the wrong word.   Entirely different battlegrounds?   The 3 teams in my WvW window are not even shown in another's WvW window.  I'll deal with this more tomorrow.  Thanks for the help  :D

• Confused 1

Current world is listed right on the character menu, bottom left (character info, level etc and ends with current world), no need to go into world selection. 

If that is the same and guild members dont end up on the same map when joining WvW, then customer support is indeed the only ones that can look at this, we cant help anything.

The question is what world do everyone have as current and what world do they end up on then, is it *really* a mismatch? When you enter WvW (any map), open the map and see what it says at your spawn. Verify with the link info if you arent a primary world of course (it would still be the same for everyone however).

The only thing I can think of that would be the obvious answer is link failure from when you started the guild (ie you where on the same WvW side, but not anymore) but then current world would differ anyway in the character selection.

Edited by Dawdler.8521

14 hours ago, Sarkonis.2761 said:

Do not use the Guest feature to be on the same current world.  It does nothing for WvW.

You want to verify the "HOME WORLD".  You can find it reliably by clicking on "World Selection" at the login screen and reading what this screen says:
https://ibb.co/fXz8Yj0

There is a home icon next to your home world in that list.  If you are guesting, there will be a suitcase.

Edited by Chaba.5410

19 hours ago, Sarkonis.2761 said:

Can someone explain what determines which team you will be placed on each week in WvW?   

After a relink it's 90% random (Glicko rating with a random modfier, but the glicko of the server is close, and the random quite large). if there is no special announcement, relink is currently every last friday of a month. on relink a dev posts which server play together the next month, e.g.:

If there wasn't a relink, it's winner up/looser-down, except that ties block that.

Edited by Dayra.7405

8 hours ago, Dayra.7405 said:

After a relink it's 90% random (Glicko rating with a random modfier, but the glicko of the server is close, and the random quite large). if there is no special announcement, relink is currently every last friday of a month. on relink a dev posts which server play together the next month, e.g.:

If there wasn't a relink, it's winner up/looser-down, except that ties block that.

This I admit is the issue that concerns me the most with 4 week relinks being used now and in the WR since its a known issue already after years of server relinks. This also should probably be addressed before WR is greenlighted since it will twist numbers and potentially impact how well the WR is received, IMO as seen in game since linking started.