Does anyone think reducing the circle size for camps was good?

The smaller rings (as far as I can see from the few screenshots - I am at a no-access to the game spot right now) seem to cater the trend of appealing to the "low game intelligence bracket". Attackers, who want to flip the camp can now pretty much fight defenders in the mid range (900) category of skills, with much less (not counting gathering nodes) items to obstruct their LoS. Defenders, coming from the outside of the ring have spots reduced where they can use for cover (e.g. the left and right side of the depot hut in Alpine Lake camp) forcing the flippers to move from the middle of the ring. The attacker can now stand in the middle and stay there, even if defenders have split up to two opposite sides (which usually reduces the synergy between them). As an attacker you now need less tricks to successfully conquer the camp or be smart about you attack.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

With the advent of the relic of speed, some tanky builds could just run around the massive circle forever unless you had quite a mobile and bursty build (which are problematic in their own way).

Swords just need to be created faster for camps. When you stack properly by the time swords show up the camp is already half capped.

Edited by Swoo.5079

1 hour ago, Swoo.5079 said:

Swords just need to be created faster for camps. When you stack properly by the time swords show up the camp is already half capped.

You know, it is a bit weird that it takes the same time for white swords to show up at a camp as a walled up objective. Camps should probably take 10-15sec to pop white swords, while the objectives take the 30sec.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, HazyDaisy.4107 said:

If nothing else this change proves objects can be moved and boundries can be altered, so how's about we do something about them tactivators now?

This is a great point, it shows that I could also fix all the holes/secret passages above the doors that the usual thieving players like so much to use.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Riba.3271 said:

For example I thought alpine north or NW camp were fine, just that defenders had too many stats.

If you were having trouble taking camps because the defenders "had too many stats," then it was just a skill issue on your part. You'll still have trouble taking the camps. Not once have I failed to take a camp against enemy players because of the tiny difference the guild aura stats made.

But hey, it seems you're represented more than the rest of us on the balance team.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Gorani.7205 said:

The smaller rings (as far as I can see from the few screenshots - I am at a no-access to the game spot right now) seem to cater the trend of appealing to the "low game intelligence bracket". Attackers, who want to flip the camp can now pretty much fight defenders in the mid range (900) category of skills, with much less (not counting gathering nodes) items to obstruct their LoS. Defenders, coming from the outside of the ring have spots reduced where they can use for cover (e.g. the left and right side of the depot hut in Alpine Lake camp) forcing the flippers to move from the middle of the ring. The attacker can now stand in the middle and stay there, even if defenders have split up to two opposite sides (which usually reduces the synergy between them). As an attacker you now need less tricks to successfully conquer the camp or be smart about you attack.

I think you're right. Unfortunately, the sad trend in 90% of the recent WvW changes has been removing skill from WvW. Pretty much the only good one was lowering the guild aura stats, but there's no way you can sell the capture point reductions, defense nerfs, etc. as anything other than catering to the lowest common denominator of attackers.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, XenesisII.1540 said:

You know, it is a bit weird that it takes the same time for white swords to show up at a camp as a walled up objective. Camps should probably take 10-15sec to pop white swords, while the objectives take the 30sec.

Speldan Clearcut never has swords lol and it is also the farthest* away 
*never measure it yet, but it looks like the farthest from the keep/tower compare to the rest of the camp.

Edited by SweetPotato.7456
  • Like 1

On 4/19/2024 at 10:33 PM, Gorani.7205 said:

Here is what those rings meant to me, wla, nada, nil, no big deal,  what the heck,...... put some resources on ACTUAL problems, pls. 

• Like 2

I don't mind smaller ring in SMC, that thing is so tedious anyways, happy if it goes a little faster.

NC in Alpine is fine too, that circle was unnecessarily huge.

Rings on most other camps are too small.

For roaming, smaller circles on camps just mean a lot less playability - for both defending AND taking with defenders in the circle. Sucks for fighting outnumbered. Hate removing structures from the contestable area. Using LOS is such an essential part of any PvP?! I'm sure many melee folks like the smaller rings for the same reason the boonblob likes them: people can't kite ya anymore, people can't properly fight ya anymore. Bleh.

(However. The change to walls is worse IMO. Reverse that right back or at least make it a lot less than 50%. Taking away one of the few defense strategies that actually work when fighting outnumbered is such a horrible move.)

• Like 5