Oh, to be a Thief main

Posted (edited)

You know, there was a guy who I think posts here on thief in arena last night. I was standing, and a few times he jumped and spamed 3 is it? killing me in a few seconds. Every time he did it I stood and watched. Then I was "lol" and they wonder why people complain thief can just spam 1 button. A person in local chat then said "yeah but he's just meme killing people".

This is a genuine question, can you call that a meme? To actually be able to kill people in under 3 seconds from a steal then spaming 1 button? 

I get it "just dodge" etc.. but the shear damage and mechanics of how it achieves that ease of damage while also having high mobility? I struggle with the definition of meme in this context. Rifle warrior for example, you can see it the whole time, survive the meme 1 shot and he is in real trouble.

Edited by Flowki.7194
  • Like 3
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, Flowki.7194 said:

You know, there was a guy who I think posts here on thief in arena last night. I was standing, and a few times he jumped and spamed 3 is it? killing me in a few seconds. Every time he did it I stood and watched. Then I was "lol" and they wonder why people complain thief can just spam 1 button. A person in local chat then said "yeah but he's just meme killing people".

This is a genuine question, can you call that a meme? To actually be able to kill people in under 3 seconds from a steal then spaming 1 button? 

I get it "just dodge" etc.. but the shear damage and mechanics of how it achieves that ease of damage while also having high mobility? I struggle with the definition of meme in this context. Rifle warrior for example, you can see it the whole time, survive the meme 1 shot and he is in real trouble.

Why is a rifle warrior being compared to a thief?  

You'll get use to people telling you thief needs no changes and only buffs if you try getting on the "stealth needs a nerf" train, or even "nobody should have 20 dodges in a row plus a full disengage after a few 10k hits" train either. People like their easy mode win buttons, they'll say anything to keep them around.
They'll also try to turn you into a game dev for it too, so plan up every little change that should happen beforehand when you make these threads.

But more importantly, none of this matters. Not a bit of it.
We all know anet will never do any changes outside simple number changes and nerfing things that don't need it into oblivion. Do your self a favor and stop giving yourself false hope that this thread will do something, even if it's just to change a thief mains mind because that most certainly will NEVER happen.

All you're doing is screaming into the void.
Sorry.

• Like 2

I'm genuinely curious, how does one deal with a thief that has targeted you? There's no getting away, there's no catching up. If you get them low, they stealth and run away. Do I just pray my teammates are paying attention and can help me deal with the thief? 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Kyraios.8954 said:

I'm genuinely curious, how does one deal with a thief that has targeted you? There's no getting away, there's no catching up. If you get them low, they stealth and run away. Do I just pray my teammates are paying attention and can help me deal with the thief? 

Depends what kind of thief.

Deadeye, get some cover from objects like pillar that you can avoid by los their riffle mostly.

Try to get back with team and hope for some aoe that thief has to retreat if he is low enough and you can catch him while low he is ded.

In short force them to overcommit so they basicly almost kill themself, otherwise they just have to move somewhere else.

This all is not 100% safety proof though, but it will lower the chances

1 hour ago, Kyraios.8954 said:

Yeah basically if a thief joins any fight just start attacking it and force the theif to leave. I found in higher level play when its a necro on each team. The enemy necros who were good always liked to swap target to me wherever I was on thief. At least thats what they did in the past. Classes like some ranger builds, holo and some power revs will (or are supposed to) keep pressuring a thief whenever they have the opportunity to. Youll see holos tend to try and tunnel thieves a lot and be in fights that would cut off the thief from making certain plays.