Obsidian Legendary Armor Tier 2 Preview

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, yoni.7015 said:

Where does the wiki say that? It says: 

“Progress on each objective of Tier 2 Legendary Armor: Suffused Obsidian achievement is separate and tracked per character. Progress is across the account but buff/counter will not display correctly.”

I'll see if I can find it again.

Edit: Here it is, in the Notes section

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Tier_2_Legendary_Armor:_Suffused_Obsidian

Progress is tracked per character. Storing the Runestone of Suffusion in the bank halts progress.

Also here in the Notes section the wording is confusing for me: 

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Runestone_of_Suffusion

Progress on each objective of Tier 2 Legendary Armor: Suffused Obsidian achievement is separate and tracked per character. Progress is across the account but buff/counter will not display correctly.

Here the note seems to be saying two different things. That it's per character and also account wide with a display bug. Just two updates from different people, I'd guess.

I'm away from my computer for a few more days so I can't confirm anything one way or the other. I'll check again when I can and update appropriately unless someone else beats me to it.

Edited by Pifil.5193

I think you need to put the Runestone in the shared inventory slot in order for the progress to be account wide.

I have done it myself, and the progress was account wide (provided above). There were display bug during the first few days, but it tracked correctly now. You can try logging in and out and see whether it fix the said bug.

4 hours ago, Surelia.2651 said:

You have to be sure to have the rune in your inventory and that the rune icon is appearing on your buff bar. As you work on achievements tasks, the rune icons on your bar will tell you your progress, so check there.  The achievement panel itself does not update until the task is done.

Ok thanks, I didn’t check the buff bar

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

The wording does seem to contradict itself, and I'm not sure if any patches have been made in the last few days, so all I can do is share how I experienced it.

As soon as I got the rune, I put it immediately into a shared slot, went to do SotO events, then the regular WB train for a few turns; switched toons to go back to a SotO meta (had already done them on the previous toon). When the new toon loaded I saw the buffs for tracking were gone, but after doing an event in Amnytas, the icon showed up in the buff bar with the updated counter for those events. Same with rift hunting, it disappeared when switching, but showed up after a rift.

As for Convergences, I did 2 of them in 1 reset period on 2 toons, and the 3rd after reset on another toon. All 3 were Umbriel, and lucky for me, successful.

I hope that helps anyone working toward this

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Looking at the effects in game, the white flash is nowhere as obstructive as seen in the video, so I'm happy about that.

However, I dislike the poor visibility of the runes (4th dye). In the character select screen and the hero tab, there's a slight glow to the runes, making them visible even when not in combat. I don't know if it's a bug, but in-game, the runes usually have absolutely no glow, making it hard to see them. When I stand next to the tier 2 heavy armor model in Wizard's Tower near Conri, the difference in rune visibility between my character's armor and the models' armor is like night and day. Again, sometimes, they do slightly glow even when not in combat.

Personally, I think it would be better to give the runes a visible glow at all times, even when not in combat, to more differentiate tier 1 and tier 2. The exploding white glyphs and floating holographic runes can remain the combat effects.

Edited by BlueJin.4127

Posted (edited)

I've now unlocked the heavy T2 set and I'm working on the medium and I gotta say the effects in game look far better than the preview video. The rune/shield effect dyes very well, from crazy bright to quite subtle of you use darker dyes. I'm quite happy both with the skins and the method to obtain them. 

ArenaNet, if you're creating previews for these kind of things again in the future please show a range of dyes (show bright and dark sets, different material types and so on), I don't think the dye choices made for this preview did them justice. 

Edited by Pifil.5193
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, BlueJin.4127 said:

Looking at the effects in game, the white flash is nowhere as obstructive as seen in the video, so I'm happy about that.

However, I dislike the poor visibility of the runes (4th dye). In the character select screen, there seems to be a slight glow to the runes, making them visible. In-game, however, the runes have absolutely no glow, making it hard to see them. It's hard to discern tier 1 and tier 2 skins when not in combat.

Personally, I think it would be better to give the runes a visible glow at all times, even when not in combat, to more differentiate tier 1 and tier 2. The exploding white glyphs and floating holographic runes can remain the combat effects.

Try the slumbering skin. That one has the runes brightened up at all times, but does not have the draw effect.

5 hours ago, Pifil.5193 said:

I've now unlocked the heavy T2 set and I'm working on the medium and I gotta say the effects in game look far better than the preview video. The rune/shield effect stress very well, from crazy bright to quite subtle of you use darker dyes. I'm quite happy both with the skins and the method to obtain them. 

ArenaNet, if you're creating previews for these kind of things again in the future please show a range of dyes (show bright and dark sets, different material types and so on), I don't think the dye choices made for this preview did them justice. 

Yeah, it is up to us, the players, to make it look good.

10 hours ago, Pifil.5193 said:

I've now unlocked the heavy T2 set and I'm working on the medium and I gotta say the effects in game look far better than the preview video. The rune/shield effect stress very well, from crazy bright to quite subtle of you use darker dyes. I'm quite happy both with the skins and the method to obtain them. 

Have all three sets done and agree they do look a lot better in game than how they looked in the video. 

Lighting effects and individual system graphics also have a lot to do with that, it isn't just that Anet didn't show more colour varieties. 

Adding infusions also changes them quite a bit as everyone knows, as do some effects from leggy weapons.  My engi Scrapper for example, uses The Juggernaut, so now the previous quicksilver effect that happens when you draw the weapon looks pretty amazing with the rune effects and colour mixed in. 🙂

On 6/4/2024 at 1:35 PM, Surelia.2651 said:

Have all three sets done and agree they do look a lot better in game than how they looked in the video. 

Lighting effects and individual system graphics also have a lot to do with that, it isn't just that Anet didn't show more colour varieties. 

Adding infusions also changes them quite a bit as everyone knows, as do some effects from leggy weapons.  My engi Scrapper for example, uses The Juggernaut, so now the previous quicksilver effect that happens when you draw the weapon looks pretty amazing with the rune effects and colour mixed in. 🙂

Yeah it's definitely up to us, the players, to make it look good. I love the results I got for my characters. Not a single one looks bad.