Fantasy vs "real-life" pets. Do you have a preference?

Hey everybody. 

I was just thinking about how we have a mix of fantasy and "real-life" pets. 

My question is purely aesthetics/vibe: Do you prefer any particular type of pet? Real-life vs fantasy? Or no preference at all as long as the design is cool and/or the skills are useful? 

I'm calling real-life pets animals that are represented in-game just as we find them in real life (e.g., Eagle, Wolf, Tiger, Hyena, Jellyfish). And fantasy pets any creatures that either don't exist in our real world at all (e.g., Spinegazer, Fanged Iboga, Smokescale) or aren't 100% "realistic"  (e.g., Rock Gazelle, Sand Lion, Siege Turtle). 

I personally prefer real or close-to-real pets, like canines, felines, bears, birds, insects, etc. 🙂 

Thanks for contributing!

• Like 3

No general preference, just depends on the individual pets.

Unfortunately most pets that i would prefer from an aesthetic point of view are not viable at all (in WvW), so i have to use ugly ones 😕

• Like 1

I like either one, so long as it looks good and has good stats/mechanics. I don't want love a super-flashy eyesore of a pet, like the sky chak striker (the constant clop-clopping and the blue vomit skill don't bring me joy). I also don't like the pets that only bring damage and then aren't even at the top of the damage charts.

Whoever decides what pets get put in does a good job. I don't find myself disliking any of the pets. I do find myself wanting more of them or wishing there was a skin system for the ones we have. But what is there right now is solid.

I don't have a preference. Just depends on my mood or occasionally what I'm trying to do in PvP.

• Confused 1

I only really like the normal pets, basically none of the new pets added from any expac fit the aesthetic I want for general play. They're all hideous to the point of disgust for the most part. Like, who in their right mind wants to run the Spinegazer? Excluding the weird guy from IT at your work.

After the recent pet update, I can more comfortably run something like a Raven and a Fernhound in something like Pre-Master Fractals as a Druid. Sure, it's a DPS loss overall, but it's not that bad (and the Fernhound helps with my Astral Power management).

When they add new pets, please, please, please... make it a good looking Pet, not alien or weird one. Such a missed opportunity with the Kirin in EoD, instead we got an ugly an "bird-thing" that they called a Phoenix, another cat (very boring, thank you Anet), a turtle... which is fine? And the Wallow. *Who wants to run a Wallow?*

It's like, every time Anet adds in a super beautiful mob to the world, the person in charge of choosing Pets vomits in their mouth at the sight, has a panic attack, and picks the most disgusting abomination instead. They then make it basically a DPS required Pet for min-maxing because... well, just because it makes them happy.

At this point, give me some normal animals like a Deer or a viable Wolf that I can use. Or an *actually* cool looking dragon. Stop shoving these really ugly pets down my throat and making them the best DPS pets. (Seriously, a bundle of twigs is better DPS wise than a bear... why.)

• Like 3

On 6/1/2024 at 7:21 AM, Bastrii.3047 said:

Who wants to run a Wallow?

I LOVE the wallow and it saddens me that it's a condition pets as my main uses power builds. Honestly, the single biggest and possibly best change would be treating pet appearances as cosmetic (Anet could even introduce Black Lion exclusive skins since everything is about monetization) and allowing us to use our favourite pets without gimping ourselves.

3 hours ago, sewenewes.4176 said:

I LOVE the wallow and it saddens me that it's a condition pets as my main uses power builds. Honestly, the single biggest and possibly best change would be treating pet appearances as cosmetic (Anet could even introduce Black Lion exclusive skins since everything is about monetization) and allowing us to use our favourite pets without gimping ourselves.

They can't make pet appearances cosmetic while retaining unique pet skills, because their skills include animations that won't translate from one pet to another.

• Like 1

I prefer ones that actually look like pets, realistic or fantasy. Smokescale is good, but the Chak is pushing it especially given the lore, and Spinegazer is too much. That one would fit some future necro pet spec better.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1