With Landspears confirmed, what you want it to be?

Now don't ask me how warrior has access to most weapon yet still has more holes in their roles than many other professions..
But given these holes and what spear is, I'd say we got a fair shot at one of two things:

1. Melee condi 2h weapon.
2. Ranged power weapon, cause we currently have only 1/2 of that in form of rifle.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, StraightPath.3972 said:

Now don't ask me how warrior has access to most weapon yet still has more holes in their roles than many other professions..
But given these holes and what spear is, I'd say we got a fair shot at one of two things:

2. Ranged power weapon, cause we currently have only 1/2 of that in form of rifle.

I'll bet on a melee power skill kit with the possibility to gain some range on skills #2 to #5 by "charging" the skills for a few seconds. It's totally in line with what they did with Bladesworn and guardian's off hand pistol skill#5. I'm sure they are eager to base a whole weapon kit on skills that offer the option to be "charged" for different effects and warrior is the puuuurfect candidate for that.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Dadnir.5038 said:

I'll bet on a melee power skill kit with the possibility to gain some range on skills #2 to #5 by "charging" the skills for a few seconds. It's totally in line with what they did with Bladesworn and guardian's off hand pistol skill#5. I'm sure they are eager to base a whole weapon kit on skills that offer the option to be "charged" for different effects and warrior is the puuuurfect candidate for that.

But the "ranged" abilities will just be the Warrior charging at the opponent.

After all, now that they "fixed" Rush on Greatsword, they need a new home for the buggy mess it was before.

Edited by Fueki.4753

7 hours ago, StraightPath.3972 said:

It's going to be 2H melee power and you and the rest of us are going to like it whether we want to or not.

Seriously though, we have no idea, but there is a beta at the end of the month.

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
On 6/4/2024 at 8:10 AM, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

There is a lot of desire for a 1H 900 range weapon. Especially if it had some support to it so that it could be paired with Warhorn. But with some of the changes they are making to Tactics we may be able to get away from needing that MH support weapon.

Totally get that and agree with the desire.

This is 100% my own personal hang-up, but I've been wanting a spear on warrior since beta, and would just be personally disappointed if it was a throwing weapon (which I detest thematically).

A shame they never gave us main hand pistol.

Edited by Arewn.2368

1 hour ago, Arewn.2368 said:

This is 100% my own personal hang-up, but I've been wanting a spear on warrior since beta, and would just be personally disappointed if it was a throwing weapon (which I detest thematically).

I get where you are coming from. A proper spear 2H would be great, but would be best as a rapid striking condi weapon.

And it is a kitten shame we don't have a MH 900 range pistol.

3 hours ago, Arewn.2368 said:

On that sir, we'll stand on opposite sides of the fence.
I got this javelin fantasy going, and i very much want to see my warrior
hurl that spear at his enemies for some major pain.

Also bear trap on a rope.. ekhum.. I mean spear on a rope for a pull would be very nice.
If drunken downstate engies can do it, why can't we?

• Confused 1

Posted (edited)

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/straight-to-the-point-a-primer-on-spears-in-janthir-wilds/
Welp they're teasing us, that's for sure.

From what I've seen i believe either "ranged spear that requires precise aiming"  or "couple of skills reducing cd of key skill" are gonna be what we get.

Reason for the first is simple - Warr needs real ranged option that doesn't suck outside of Zerker.
But they don't want Warr becoming a Ranger. So a way to please both sides - a weapon with full potential to be top dps ranged, but high skill ceiling to reach it.
My bet is that either us or Revs will get that, since most other professions already got good & easy to use ranged options so why would they bother with spear?

As for the latter option - cd resets aren't a rare sight on a Warrior.
And Warrior in general likes to "stick to the plan" and not do any weird stuff that is totally different from
what he already does (opposite of Mesmer)..

Edited by StraightPath.3972
  • Confused 1

25 minutes ago, StraightPath.3972 said:

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/straight-to-the-point-a-primer-on-spears-in-janthir-wilds/

From what I've seen i believe either "ranged spear that requires precise aiming"  or "couple of skills reducing cd of key skill" are gonna be what we get.

Reason for the first is simple - Warr needs real ranged option that doesn't suck outside of Zerker.
But they don't want Warr becoming a Ranger. So a way to please both sides - a weapon with full potential to be top dps ranged, but high skill ceiling to reach it.
My bet is that either us or Revs will get that, since most other professions already got good & easy to use ranged options so why would they bother with spear?

And Warrior in general likes to "stick to the plan" and not do any weird stuff that is totally different from

Naw, this is probably what we will get;
"A set of spear skills that features a reimagining of a mechanic seen in the original Guild Wars."
Because this is either them "reimagining" the old GW1 adrenaline mechanic on skills or the Assassin's combo skills (Lead Attack, Off Hand Attack, Dual Attack). and it will unfortunately be clunky and annoying either way.

1 hour ago, StraightPath.3972 said:

Let me stop you right there. What warrior needs, never enters into their conversation unless the streamers start bellyaching about it. You see these:

• A melee spear skill that rewards careful positioning.
  • A spear skill that inflicts a debilitating effect with a new unique effect.
  • A set of spear skills featuring a new spin on an existing skill type.
  • A spear skill reminiscent of an old fan favorite.
  •  

Those are the most likely warrior options. Yes, I included a blank bullet, because they teased 8 things when 9 professions are getting spear.

Bullet 3 and 4 could be them returning 3 spin Arc Divider or having an unrooted version of 100B. Option 2 could be a Deep Wound like effect. Option 1 is them rehashing Dragon Slash. Option 5 is them forgetting to give warrior nice things again.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

Let me stop you right there. What warrior needs, never enters into their conversation unless the streamers start bellyaching about it. You see these:

• A melee spear skill that rewards careful positioning.
  •  

Those are the most likely warrior options. Yes, I included a blank bullet, because they teased 8 things when 9 professions are getting spear.

Bullet 3 and 4 could be them returning 3 spin Arc Divider or having an unrooted version of 100B. Option 2 could be a Deep Wound like effect. Option 1 is them rehashing Dragon Slash. Option 5 is them forgetting to give warrior nice things again.

I will respectfully disagree on some parts 😉

1. Careful positioning doesn't sound warrior at all. More like some squishy that can't a stray hit.
2. New Debilitating effect - if that's not a necro spear i'll be very surprised.

However two of them do make some sense:
1. Set of spear skills featuring a new spin on an existing skill type - now that could be anyone and anything.
But they also did mention a "new auto attack mechanic" on one of the spears.
So I'm thinking stances on spear that change how aa behaves while aa is doing all the work. Think Udyr from LoL.
And if I recall right the only profession with stances on core is our warrior.

2. Old fan favourite - I've 0 idea here. None at all.
But the "Old arc divider" dead horse is one of the most post mortem abused animals in human history so...

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, StraightPath.3972 said:

I will respectfully disagree on some parts 😉

1. Careful positioning doesn't sound warrior at all. More like some squishy that can't a stray hit.
2. New Debilitating effect - if that's not a necro spear i'll be very surprised.

However two of them do make some sense:
1. Set of spear skills featuring a new spin on an existing skill type - now that could be anyone and anything.
But they also did mention a "new auto attack mechanic" on one of the spears.
So I'm thinking stances on spear that change how aa behaves while aa is doing all the work. Think Udyr from LoL.
And if I recall right the only profession with stances on core is our warrior.

2. Old fan favourite - I've 0 idea here. None at all.
But the "Old arc divider" dead horse is one of the most post mortem abused animals in human history so...

1: I was throwing shade at Dragon Trigger.
2: Deep wound is one of the GW1 conditions that did not get ported over, but warrior had really good access to. I'd like to see it come back. For those that do not know, it reduced healing by 20% and reduced max HP by 20%. I know poison does the healing reduction already, but there is nothing stopping them from putting it onto another condition as well. As to the HP reduction, they've added that tech in the game already via Harbinger Shroud, Lich Form, and picking up essences in convergences.

13 minutes ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

1: I was throwing shade at Dragon Trigger.
2: Deep wound is one of the GW1 conditions that did not get ported over, but warrior had really good access to. I'd like to see it come back. For those that do not know, it reduced healing by 20% and reduced max HP by 20%. I know poison does the healing reduction already, but there is nothing stopping them from putting it onto another condition as well. As to the HP reduction, they've added that tech in the game already via Harbinger Shroud, Lich Form, and picking up essences in convergences.

Welp on my end i can say something else:
Forceful Greatsword is also a spear trait.

So there's a fair chance spear will be a power weapon or at least hybrid one.

• Confused 1

The new article for Spears - of particular note look at the Ranger

Spear-wielding rangers excel at hunting their prey. They whittle their quarry down at range and then they finish them off with a surprise attack at melee range. Ranger’s spear features a new type of autoattack that some of the other spears will utilize as well. When at range, you’ll throw a spear at your target, but when you move closer to your foe, you’ll transition into using a melee chain! This bimodal model will help you always keep up pressure

The most interesting thing of this is the "bimodal model". To really make Warriors shine as weapon-masters, they could possibly apply this to all 5 skills + burst.

Range will give them the feel of Paragon spears, and melee could be more Dervish style (although staff kind of fills that niche).

Thoughts?

Posted (edited)
  • A new type of autoattack mechanic. Ranger
  • A set of spear skills with multiple ways to reset the cooldown of its key skill. Necromancer
  • A melee spear skill that rewards careful positioning. Guardian. Melee and rewards you for standing in the symbol...
  • A set of spear skills that features a reimagining of a mechanic seen in the original Guild Wars.
  • A set of spear skills that require precise aiming at range.
  • Lan's cynical placeholder for warrior

Edit:

Believe me I really want the debilitating effect or 'old fan favorite' to be warrior's entry. Bring me back the 3-spin Arc Divider or give me a way to apply a Deep Wound like effect please. I really hope that my placeholder doesn't end up being true...

Edited by Lan Deathrider.5910
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:
  • A new type of autoattack mechanic. Ranger
  • A set of spear skills with multiple ways to reset the cooldown of its key skill. Necromancer
  • A melee spear skill that rewards careful positioning. Guardian. Melee and rewards you for standing in the symbol...
  • A set of spear skills that features a reimagining of a mechanic seen in the original Guild Wars.
  • A set of spear skills that require precise aiming at range.
  • Lan's cynical placeholder for warrior

So there goes my cd reset assumption or necro getting the new debilitating effect.
And ofc Rangers once again get an amazing weapon, cause we all know the weapon deficiencies they suffered for years...

Now back to regularly scheduled programming - the throwable spears (precise aiming at range) are still on the table.
Candidates:

Ele - not happening. Taking a short stop to aim easier = dead ele. Also they don't exactly struggle in terms of outputting crazy dps from range with tools they already have.
Thief -   the second verse is the same as the first! Rifle exists and does meta damage? Why would you bother with manually aimed spears then?
Mesmer -  not likely. This profession already has an entire spec dedicated to outputting insane ranged dps (Virtuoso) and a ranged support weapon (Rifle).
Engineer - possible. Manually aiming throwable crap is already a staple of this profession with grenade and mortar kits.
Warrior - very likely.  Our ranged options are crap (LB works only with Zerker...rifle same but less).
Rev - also very likely. 1200 range weapon has weak dps (hammer), 900 range weapon (shortbow) is good, but mid ranged...

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, StraightPath.3972 said:

So there goes my cd reset assumption or necro getting the new debilitating effect.
And ofc Rangers once again get an amazing weapon, cause we all know the weapon deficiencies they suffered for years...

Now back to regularly scheduled programming - the throwable spears (precise aiming at range) are still on the table.
Candidates:

Ele - not happening. Taking a short stop to aim easier = dead ele. Also they don't exactly struggle in terms of outputting crazy dps from range with tools they already have.
Thief -   the second verse is the same as the first! Rifle exists and does meta damage? Why would you bother with manually aimed spears then?
Mesmer -  not likely. This profession already has an entire spec dedicated to outputting insane ranged dps (Virtuoso) and a ranged support weapon (Rifle).
Engineer - possible. Manually aiming throwable crap is already a staple of this profession with grenade and mortar kits.
Warrior - very likely.  Our ranged options are crap (LB works only with Zerker...rifle same but less).
Rev - also very likely. 1200 range weapon has weak dps (hammer), 900 range weapon (shortbow) is good, but mid ranged...

Ele: Anet would do it. That and they have been wanting a new ranged weapon for quite some time.
Thief: This is a stronger candidate for the debilitating effect than the ranged one.
Mesmer: Stronger candidate for the reimagining of an old GW1 mechanic.
Engineer: To on the nose for them at this point, but Anet would do it.
Warrior: Is a likely candidate, but I put it at the same likelihood for the old fan favorite or debilitating effect.
Rev: This is the strongest candidate for the ranged gimick to me. One of the showcased skills at the spear reveal looked very much like one of the Rev Shortbow skills.

The thought strikes me that in GW2, ArenaNet could make Deep Wound a stacking debuff that reduces max health by 1% per stack rather than a straight 20%. Champions and up would sadly have to be immune to it, though.

Crazy thought for reimagining an old GW1 mechanic, though: What about bringing back something like GW1-style adrenaline for spear skills? Could make it so that each point of adrenaline you gain takes off some of the recharge of the 2-5 skills, effectively allowing adrenaline to charge each of those skills individually.