This game begs for proper "hide others skins" option

I have my player count set to lowest not because my computer can't handle it, but because most of your characters (I'm referring to everyone, not just OP) are ugly. I may be surround by 30 other players, but I only see about 5 of you. I could reduce things further and give everyone the standard models so you all look like the same boring gray bot, but it's not necessary.

• Confused 1

On 6/2/2024 at 5:39 PM, kharmin.7683 said:

Apparently, Anet prefers it this way which is why over the past several years as this keeps coming up, they have not decided to implement the changes that are often requested.  I think that Anet wants  other players to see the bling to encourage gem sales.  Perhaps an elegant solution for you, but one that might adversely affect sales and that is what usually drives changes (or lack of changes). 

And, like many suggestions, no one really knows how hard things are to implement or not.

You could be right. Although I think they just don't see it as a big enough issue. I would use a good normalised characters option but not because of immersion but because of all the visual noise (ok there are angel wings and such, those actually are distasteful). I don't really want everyone to look alike outside of pvp (that's boring, some variety is nice), just toned down by a lot. But I am a guy that doesn't care about skins and thus don't buy them. Looking at other players with flashy skins will not encourage me to buy a skin. It might have an opposite effect - me playing less because clarity is important for me in games. So I don't think this would impact skin sales at all because players caring about skins would not use it.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)

I set player count to lowest and accept that the rest of the people I can still see have no sense of taste whatsoever. Helped by the fact that most skins in this game look very bad.

Edited by Futa.4375
  • Confused 2

Sad that the only solution that people have is to turn down model limit and model quality which greatly affect overall "mmo" experience. If you choose not to then you are thrown in some weird contest of who is the most bizarre looking. Most people don't have even a bit of a taste or they are just trolling with their looks. I have only one problem with all of this. Normally I would just ignore this game and go on but due to the fact that GW1 is basically game of my childhood (Im 30 now). I still have a lot of sentiment to this franchise and there is still some hope that some Anet official will see that issue and do something about that. Maybe it sounds stupid to take overall look of the game so serious but my "cringe meter" is out of the scale when I play GW2 and when I see all those strange clowns Im asking myself - what Im playing right now with a big XD.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

Keeping the game alive leans a lot on gem store. If you have an issue with Anet providing stuff players will throw money at, then you don't care about the game's survivability. Rather than subs, players have other ways of supporting Anet.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SnackParty.3178 said:

Keeping the game alive leans a lot on gem store. If you have an issue with Anet providing stuff players will throw money at, then you don't care about the game's survivability. Rather than subs, players have other ways of supporting Anet.

No one said that there shouldnt be current gem store items. Let them be, they can add even pink unicorn with butterfly wings as a raptor skin (its not that unbelieveable that something like that will make into the game in the future - there is zero visual integrity). Just give an option to turn that off for someone that is not enjoying those skins nor is interested in buying them. Whales will still buy whatever is in the store why should it change.

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

Posted (edited)

while i do agree that we should have the option to hide other players skins entirely (currently the backpiece and weapons aren't hidden), at the same time it's hard to take the thread seriously since its one of those "it sure is sunday school in here" threads about swimsuits which will inevitably keep popping up.

i think it's why our armors and outfits were so conservative outside of ~human females~ for a over a decade. 😞

Edited by SoftFootpaws.9134
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)

Eh personally I have textures and shaders  set high with a low model limit.  Performance issues.  Besides I can walk closer if I want to see someone's fashion.

Edit: thinking about it, if they did raise the quality of the culled models then I would probably have to lower my other visual settings.  Nvm.

Edited by Zebulous.2934

Posted (edited)
On 6/2/2024 at 11:45 PM, GEGEZZ.7563 said:

I agree with OP, having so many weird and specific skins everywhere that are often not my taste is quite annoying.

I'd suggest you stay out of shopping malls. lol

Edited by Vayne.8563
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Posted (edited)

My question is: why does this hurt people so much? I get immersion is great and everything but wha?

Wouldn't they need a huge list of things to tick (maybe through the bank/account vault) in order for something like this to work? (Legit curiosity. I'm no tech savvy person.)

Edited by KindredPhoenyx.8976
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, KindredPhoenyx.8976 said:

My question is: why does this hurt people so much? I get immersion is great and everything but wha?

Wouldn't they need a huge list of things to tick (maybe through the bank/account vault) in order for something like this to work? (Legit curiosity. I'm no tech savvy person.)

Nah they would just need to offer a decent standard model and for the op offer a bit of variability, a few randomised outfit iterations.

They have the functionality half baked in already.

Its not such an oncommon feature anyway (well the variatons are). Its something that many competitive games offer as an option for visual clarity and consistency. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Simple solution for this situation will be: Character model limit - Load only targeted Character. Or: Character model limit - Squad\party only. Easy.

Just to be clear. I am in that state at this moment where I don't care about fashion. All i care about: My character and my Target which i need to kill. As for my Allies, i can see their name plates, and if they are in party - i will know what profession it is and how to cooperate with this character even without character model.

Edited by Aeon.4583

On 6/4/2024 at 6:19 AM, KindredPhoenyx.8976 said:

My question is: why does this hurt people so much?

All the bling bling degrades performance even on good computers and there is a growing number of people who go out of their way to choose the most framerate tanking and migraine inducing backpacks and weapons because they know that those don't get hidden with the model quality setting.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)

It's very lore friendly, in fact far more lore friendly than ever. My Thief has 13k HP. It doesn't make sense for him to be that squishy with armor on. It's more lore appropriate that he's 95% naked to increase his speed at the cost of defense. It also makes no sense for him to be running and leaping around and dodge rolling in a heavy trenchcoat that would snag on terrain or allow him to get grabbed easier. And even more than anything SWIMMING in a heavy coat and/or armor makes absolutely no sense.

I actually take offense to this close-minded outlook of yours.

BTW have you ever watched a real life UFC, Wrestling or Boxing match in your entire life? Are they fighting in full body armor?

Edited by Doggie.3184
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

On 6/2/2024 at 2:16 PM, nubzor.9654 said:

I know there is an option called low model quality but its broken as textures simply doesnt load (no faces etc).

That's by design, they're faceless generic greys, if anything you can complain that in those models we still get the awful auras and particle effects from the load of none sense that's been added to the game, I'd like to see all that hidden.

• Like 1

It would be funny if the game ran more smoothly during the swimsuit release. I would think that the swimsuits have a lower impact on PC resources than outfits with dangely chains and animated glow effects. 

Of course nothing can be done about infusions or other slotted effects.

• Haha 2

If this even makes a cut on the todo list, it will be on the low priority box.

Why?

Does this break the game aka make game unplayable? No.

Does this introduce a new feature that helps market the game to newer/returning players? No.

Does this improve game quality? No.

Does this generate income? No. Maybe will even do the opposite.

You cannot argue that Anet will lose players if they don't implement this. You also cannot say that Anet will gain players if they implement this. How did I know? The lack of similar requests all around.

Anet is not here to please players. It's here to please the shareholders. As long as they don't kitten up on the game, and the game continues to gain income, they are good.

Look, I understand you. I hate the Super Adventure skins. Totally takes out immersion. But I am one player. Some likes them. And Anet gained income from them.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1