There is a possibility that spear is a support weapon.

If we look at the change to Martial Cadence, they clearly intend us to weapon swap alot on Heal Warrior.

The question is now, what do we swap to (from staff)?

The only other support weapon is Warhorn. But with 20s CDs on both skills, them being skills you not necessarily want to use of CD and no Main Hand support weapon, there is no real reason to weapon swap often. Especially when the boons Swiftness and Vigor arent needed/ taking care of by someone else.

And i dont see a world where they want us to run Staff/Staff. Because giving up on Warhorn skills is not that great.

Soooooo...... there is a possibility that spear is a support weapon.

Having us run Staff/Spear. 

I know i know. Thats a reach but i cant really make sense otherwise of the Martial Cadence change.

Everything is possible... I mean, necromancer got 2 swords packed with life siphon and it's spear seem to do the same in a slightly different way so the concept of warrior's spear doing the same job as it's staff isn't that outlandish.

Here is how I view the Martial Cadence change:

Staff + Any/Horn Berserker running qDPS or qHeal.

Tactics: Mid/Mid/Top
Disc: Bot/Top/Mid or Bottom
Bers: Top/Mid/Any

F1 -> swap-> any action to gain adrenaline -> F1 -> swap repeat. Warhorn skills as needed or on recharge if that is your thing. One of Banner of Tactics or Defense, rage skills as needed.

Taking Burst Mastery would mean that after every F1->swap only 2 adrenaline needs to be gained, which any AA chain, Axe 2, or Mace 2 ->adrenaline rush, or staff 2 would satisfy that. If using Relic of the Warrior to make weapon swap 2.5s, you would only get the extra 5 adrenaline every other weapon swap, but if you start in Staff that means that the swap you don't gain adrenaline on would be on Staff, so you'd use Staff 2 and Staff 5 to fill that in with no downtime in healing. So, Marial Cadence, if there is no CD, would let you proc Soldier's Comfort at a steady and fast interval along with pumping protection and condi cleansing.

Staff/Staff could be used to do this as well, it really overflows with adrenaline now so you can pop off F1s off CD for massive heals once the MC change goes live. Again, assuming MC no longer has a CD.

Posted (edited)

@DanAlcedo.3281 It's the polar opposite i believe.

Because spear will not be a support weapon, they're focusing on giving us a new sustainable method
to heal and protect our allies regardless of weapon choices in your build.
That and Spellbreaker needed a bone, given it can only use T1 core bursts which is terrible for staff.

@Aaron.1294 As a pvp support warrior main - I would happily see boons removed from staff in exchange for some condi cleanse.
Well except for aegis maybe - that one has some major value when used right.

Edited by StraightPath.3972
  • Confused 2

@DanAlcedo.3281 I realy hope your wrong ^^ we do not need another 2 handed support weapons. For a good supp build we would need a Main handed one. Im realy in hope that spear will be just like rangers one a ranged/melee weapon with maybe a pull or CC something like that ^~^

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, Myror.7521 said:

@DanAlcedo.3281 I realy hope your wrong ^^ we do not need another 2 handed support weapons. For a good supp build we would need a Main handed one. Im realy in hope that spear will be just like rangers one a ranged/melee weapon with maybe a pull or CC something like that ^~^

For all the bashing our weapons deserve (2012 being alive and well), it's bit ironic that spear is actually one weapon that wouldn't need large changes from underwater version to be good on land.

Almost everyone here wants pull to stay and I think quite a few would be happy with a block in there, provided it's not a "one hit wonder" but a real block like Shield Stance or Staff 5.

Edited by StraightPath.3972
  • Confused 1

On 6/8/2024 at 1:19 AM, StraightPath.3972 said:

@DanAlcedo.3281 It's the polar opposite i believe.

Because spear will not be a support weapon, they're focusing on giving us a new sustainable method
to heal and protect our allies regardless of weapon choices in your build.
That and Spellbreaker needed a bone, given it can only use T1 core bursts which is terrible for staff.

@Aaron.1294 As a pvp support warrior main - I would happily see boons removed from staff in exchange for some condi cleanse.
Well except for aegis maybe - that one has some major value when used right.

spellbreaker is the best version of heal-war. that's the reason they'll really never give it quick or alac now. staff burst even with 1 bar (which is not what spellbreaker does btw) isn't much worse than 3 bars. and it's spammable.

the protection on staff is the most important boon it gives.

IDK if you're solely talking about pvp, but this is the reality in PvE (the actual game mode for GW2)

57 minutes ago, Red Haired Savage.5430 said:

I'm assuming it'll be some sort of mid-range thrown weapon since we've got plenty of melee weapons already. As far as support or DPS condi/power it could go either way. But mid-range is something we currently lack.

That did not stop them from giving a new OH weapon in EoD despite the crowded design space...

All jokes aside, Idk why it may take the spear to fulfill that mid-range weapon that neither longbow nor rifle is sufficient for playing in the same range. Oh wait the warrior community dislikes said weapons. Longbow at least works on condi berserker. It performs okay on power bladesworn, but it's low on the preference list for the build. (Not only does arcing arrow do most of the damage, but that skill and smoldering arrow have explosions, and they have 2 and 3 charges respectively so they synergize with bladesworn's traits.)

3 hours ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

We don't dislike the weapons, we dislike their poor balancing.

To be fair I've seen some warrior mains opine about how real warriors don't do ranged combat and even others claim Condi dps is un-warrior like. 

11 minutes ago, Eekasqueak.7850 said:

To be fair I've seen some warrior mains opine about how real warriors don't do ranged combat and even others claim Condi dps is un-warrior like. 

Tell them next time that a true warrior uses whatever weapon is at hand to subjugate their foes with glory and they are weak and bring dishonor unto their name for such blasphemy.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Eekasqueak.7850 said:

Ngl this sounds like the same warriors who would suggest changing to another class for ranged combat, even if that is an extreme opinion. Condi DPS un-warrior like??? Did Tyria freeze over????