If a-net wants to experiment with spears, here's an idea

How about letting a professions *cough* warrior *cough* use a spear as both 2h and 1h option?

You equip a spear and no offhand - it's a 2h spear with full set of skills.
You equip a spear and an offhand - it becomes a 1h javelin and gets it's own, separate set of 3 skills.

Something new using already existing and established mechanics!
You don't want to power creep a weapon by giving it 9 skills in total but feel 5 are just not enough?
There's your solution - two separate weapons from one, saving time, money and balance headaches!

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)

I would argue that your offhand would be limited to a shield if you had a 1h spear main hand. 

I don’t recall ever seeing a historical document that showed spears “dual wielded” with anything other than a shield. They were either used by themselves 2h (like massively long pikes) or 1h with shields in a phalanx or shield wall formation. 

I don’t think it will happen at least for this expansion. 

ETA: Looking at the first look video for guardian, necro, and ranger spear abilities the guardian is shown using a shield ability at the very beginning of the demo (10-second mark). Not sure if that is a shield from a spear weapon ability or a shield from some other ability.

https://youtu.be/WWA736aYVJI?t=10

Edited by Tinker.6924
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tinker.6924 said:

guardian is shown using a shield ability at the very beginning of the demo

That is aegis boon, from virtue of courage passive. On side note, something a number of players asked for ability to disable that passive, because it messes with their fashion 😉

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

The problem here beside having to coede the game in a way that it recognizes a weapon in two different ways i.e. a new way to the engine rewriting twelve year old code, are the stats on the weapon. A far easier way to get a javelin is to implement that funcionality via the skills, which is what they're doing as it seems.

Edited by Omega.6801
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)

That could be a focus for the next expansion but in a broader way :
Make all 1H weapons have all 5 weapon skills when wielded alone, and allowing some 2H weapons being used with an offhand on certain builds.
Example : Elementalist's staff, warrior's 2H sword, Guardian's spear, engineer's rifle, etc

Edited by Tabootrinket.2631

We could make a scavenger  Monster Hunter set , that when complete you get awarded the Amulet of Hunter and  improve Spear for each profession .

Make it 1-handed

Slow attacks (LI build)

Can be used from mounts that has 1hp

First people that stabs the boss , distribute invisible orbs that when picked by other people , their auto attack changes to ranged for 2 sec (and it chains to others) . When 30 attacks have been made in 20 sec and big blu half  circle around the boss will show up , where people can "que up" their attack attack for a big cordinated attack on the boss (just like coordinated dance)

• Confused 2

• 3 weeks later...

I'm truly amazed. They did the extremely improbable and implemented land spears like you all have been asking for, in spite of all the incongruity they create across weapon design, espec design, weapon skins, underwater combat, etc.

And I see several threads already clamoring for one-handed spears. Nevermind all the other things in this game that direly need renovation.

Edited by Batalix.2873
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1