Love that we're finally getting spears, but

It seems like a bit of a cop-out to just give spears to every class instead of introducing at least one other weapon type and splitting them between the classes. Could really have even made tridents & harpoons work, with the latter being pretty crossbow-esque and tridents just being an alternate to staff for the magey classes. 

Or instead could have introduced something like fist weapons or whips/flails.  Or greataxes. 

I realize new models take a lot of work, but it just really doesn't need to be as much of an issue as everyone thinks. It would be completely okay to start with a small pool of skins and build on it over time. 

Edited by Einlanzer.1627
  • Like 3
  • Confused 13

I agree that new weapons types would be nice, but I also suspect that since land spears have been requested for years (probably since before GW2 came out) if they'd only given them to some professions there would be a lot of complaining from people who don't play them (or just mainly play something else) that they're missing out on the weapon that's been requested for years and instead getting one no one asked for.

Also it's highly unlikely this will be the last time we get new weapons. It probably won't be until next year but I'm sure they'll add more at some point.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Einlanzer.1627 said:

Could really have even made tridents & harpoons work

Tridents are just underwater staffs. We already have staffs, so done.
Spearguns are just underwater rifles. We already have rifles, so done.

Harpoons, which is what the spears are, are the only water weapon that is somewhat unique. I say somewhat because it's just a pokey weapon but the way they're rolling it out it's filling some niches. It's a new ranged weapon for warriors finally (No, the point blank pistol doesn't count) and likewise it will hopefully be a melee weapon for mesmers who have only had two options for melee since Path of Fire.

Some of the other things you want have already kinda been fixed. Want crossbows? Crossbow Rifle and Pistol. Greataxe? Got that too. Flail? Already done

New weapons would be cool but every profession already has weapons they can't use, so we have time before we have to look at designing something new. This was more or less just Anet finding a way to recycle something they already have since they have completely given up on underwater content. So now any investment you have into spears isn't a complete waste.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Tridents were also used as melee weapons, especially in gladiator fights.

i hoped for 2 additions: 1h spear(which could have been melee and range) and 2h trident which could have been developed in the general direction of poleweapons. 

• Confused 2

Weapons are being used by more and more classes though. So to have the spear usable by all classes is the right move imo. I'm just really glad that they put in some work to make the spear attacks different for each class.

• Confused 1

13 hours ago, Einlanzer.1627 said:

It seems like a bit of a cop-out to just give spears to every class instead of introducing at least one other weapon type and splitting them between the classes

If they introduce land spears, people will complain that they didn't include tridents/harpoon guns. If they introduce spears and tridents, people will complain that they didn't include harpoon guns. If they introduce all three, even all at once, people will complain that they aren't new weapons. If they introduce new weapons, people will complain about the one that their main got. 

There's nothing saying they won't add tridents and harpoons in the future, but right now it's less of a cop-out and more you just saying "I want more/something else".

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 6/13/2024 at 5:20 PM, Einlanzer.1627 said:

It seems like a bit of a cop-out to just give spears to every class instead of introducing at least one other weapon type and splitting them between the classes. Could really have even made tridents & harpoons work, with the latter being pretty crossbow-esque and tridents just being an alternate to staff for the magey classes. 

Or instead could have introduced something like fist weapons or whips/flails.  Or greataxes. 

I realize new models take a lot of work, but it just really doesn't need to be as much of an issue as everyone thinks. It would be completely okay to start with a small pool of skins and build on it over time. 

It would be harder to do different weapons because they'd have to do different animations.  Notice how each player character has the exact same stance holding the spear the same way.  This is the easiest way for them to introduce a new weapon.

• Sad 1

I can just imagine the meeting at Anet...

"Spear time?"

"Spear time."

"But who gets it? Warrior?"

"Every other mains would complain..."

"So... we give it to all of them so no one complains?"

"We give it to all of them... So no one complains."

Fast forward to this...

On 6/13/2024 at 11:20 PM, Einlanzer.1627 said:

It seems like a bit of a cop-out to just give spears to every class

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

I guess they are going to use the other underwater weapons in future expansions. (I think at least 1 more is confirmed?) Focusing on spear only ... probably was with easy development/money in mind. Regarding the skins they now could bring spear sets with future stuff - in the store. Where they just recolor other stuff a bit or use older sets to add spears trying to sell the whole old set again.

It also avoids having to select between 1-h, 2-h and off-hand-only weapons where peole might complain that some classes get more new skills than others (if some only get a weapon for slots 1-3 or 4+5).

On 6/14/2024 at 12:20 AM, Einlanzer.1627 said:

Players asked for land spear since release. Giving them to only some classes (and trident/harpoon gun to the rest) would have neccessarily lead to a situation where many people are unhappy.
Giving spear to all classe was pretty much the best option for this popular weapon.

Making Trident and Harpoon Gun work on land in an other niche than Staff and Rifle is another issue.

Any new new weapon would come with a larger amount of additional work, because Anets had to add tons of new skins for that.

Okay for you maybe. But you do not represent the playerbase.
I'm sure many people would be upset if there were only 10 or 20 skins available on launch.

And even if Anet did that, it wouldn't solve the issue, just delay.
There would be still  a lack of skins and they still had to create tons of new skins, which is much work.
At release or later, it doesn't matter.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

On 6/14/2024 at 9:56 AM, asket.5674 said:

Tridents were also used as melee weapons, especially in gladiator fights.

i hoped for 2 additions: 1h spear(which could have been melee and range) and 2h trident which could have been developed in the general direction of poleweapons. 

Were tridents not just used as a novelty in gladiatorial games? Whereas spears are probably the most versatile and historically common weapon 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Atoclone.4810 said:

Were tridents not just used as a novelty in gladiatorial games? Whereas spears are probably the most versatile and historically common weapon 

Sure thing, but i guess in gw2 pseudo fantasy setting there would have been a place for tridents amongst warhorns and torches. 

but i guess we just can be happy for receiving a new weapon type at this stage of the game.

• Confused 1